Encouraging Canoes - Is This A Good Idea?

nine9feet

Featured Posts

Rather put up a sign why not just welcome them? A bit of friendly mingling might encourage one or two to try boating; a big 'keep off' sign won't.

Because the committee have decided...

It's a bit of an arse ache when there is half a dozen or more canoes scattered across the slip.

I'm on the fence with it tbh, but, most are on such a tight schedule they just want the quickest and easiest way to dunk their boats in again. I think over the last few years only one group has stopped for a drink, the rest paddle like buggery when safely afloat :)

There are rules book issues too (there would be.....) We have a rule words to the effect of 'Only full members are permitted to be in charge of a boat on club water's'

this means members children or relatives could not take a boat from a mooring, it has to be moved to the 48hour mooring adjacent to the club .

By definition, passing canoeists are not full members so shouldn't be using club waters, daft ain't it.

Canoes are never banned in favour of Narrowboats to the best of my knowledge.

I took a canoe on my second canal holiday way back in 1974. Cost me £0.50 for the licence IIRC.

Met a canoe when out on the Coventry last Saturday. He gave way to me at a bridge even though he was much closer to it than I was. Problem was I too gave way, force of habit. Took a minute of waving him on before he eventually came through. I reckon a narrowbost must have frightened him at a bridge once.

Christ, it's something when other waterborne users are lumped in the same bracket as cyclists and fisherman.

Agreed.

There is a canoe club and rowing club close to where we moor in Lincoln. They generally get out of the way when a larger vessel is approaching. There is of course always the odd one who doesn't but it is easy enough to give them room where they need it.

Canoe clubs have as much right to be on the water as anyone else. Why shouldn't it be encouraged?

Agreed.

Canoeists are like ducks, very good at getting out of the way in a hurry. But please don't leave it to the last moment, because if I'm steering a heavy narrow boat towards you I'd rather know before then that you are aware of my approach and are moving across to a safe place.

Following on from an earlier announcement of plans to "invest £1 million in improving the city's canal network to boost health and tourism", "Stoke-on-Trent City Council and its partners have created a 20-mile route providing paddlers with a unique perspective of the Trent & Mersey and Caldon canals"

Story at http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/8203-20-mile-canoe-heritage-trail-is-launched-in-stoke-on-trent/story-29705624-detail/story.html

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand the more people can be encouraged to use the canals and towpaths, the better the chances for the network to survive. However, my experience of inexperienced canoeists over the years is that there is an accident waiting to happen.

Is this fear warranted?

Does the same concern you have extend to inexperienced narrow boaters? Why single out canoists who have just as much right to use the waterways as everyone else. :-)

Howard

• Greenie 1

There will always be areas where narrowboats and unpowered craft mingle on the water. Narrowboaters need to exercise caution and make sure that the other users are aware of their presence. There is no reason why the water cannot be shared. We boat near three areas where canoeists and other users are present- around Barrow boating, the Outdoor Pursuit centre Birstall and Trent Lock. I am not aware of any accidents in these areas the worst is Barrow because there are canoes peddaloes rowing boats pedal water cycles plus outboard powered dinghies all trying to use the river with the added problem of a sunken cruiser in the channel. We survive - the more people using canals and rivers the better - it will help ensure their continued use.

It is rowers, not canoes, who train on a stretch of the Union canal in Edinburgh and at times, when the schools are rowing, boats are asked to wait. I think the clubs and schools who row on the Union were the only people not in favour of the canal being reopened :-)

haggis

Strange I didn't know rowers used slalom poles which were clearly hanging over the canal last time I walked through Harrison Park.

Sounds great to me, it's an inexpensive way of getting onto the water .... I just hope they all pay the appropriate fee to CaRT or Canoe England.

So unlike walkers and cyclists they pay to use the canal which arguably helps keep the licence fees down for everyone else. (I don't see a lot of evidence to support that but the theory is sound!)

Edited by NickF

Sounds great to me, it's an inexpensive way of getting onto the water .... I just hope they all pay the appropriate fee to CaRT or Canoe England.

So unlike walkers and cyclists they pay to use the canal which arguably helps keep the licence fees down for everyone else. (I don't see a lot of evidence to support that but the theory is sound!)

As a walker, cyclist (of canals) and a fisherman/boater, I take exception to that! My taxes have paid towards the upkeep of canals for many years.

Strange I didn't know rowers used slalom poles which were clearly hanging over the canal last time I walked through Harrison Park.

Ah yes, there are canoeists at Harrison park although I don't think I have seen them, just the poles. I don't think the canal is ever closed for them though :-) It is a bit further out that the canal is closed to boats while the rowers are out

haggis

Canoeists should be encouraged, especially if they teach powered boaters to be more tolerant of other water-users.

Ain't that the truth!

Some of you should thank your lucky stars you don't have WAFIS to deal with ;)

I agree wholeheartedly! Have a greenie.

Howard

Ta!!

:cheers:

Does the same concern you have extend to inexperienced narrow boaters? Why single out canoists who have just as much right to use the waterways as everyone else. :-)

Howard

I wondered that too, the former has a much greater potential to be a nuisance than the later :)

There will always be areas where narrowboats and unpowered craft mingle on the water. Narrowboaters need to exercise caution and make sure that the other users are aware of their presence. There is no reason why the water cannot be shared. We boat near three areas where canoeists and other users are present- around Barrow boating, the Outdoor Pursuit centre Birstall and Trent Lock. I am not aware of any accidents in these areas the worst is Barrow because there are canoes peddaloes rowing boats pedal water cycles plus outboard powered dinghies all trying to use the river with the added problem of a sunken cruiser in the channel. We survive - the more people using canals and rivers the better - it will help ensure their continued use.

Run out of greenies I'm afraid.

Have one if these instead :cheers:

Has anyone actually ever heard of a collision between a narrowboat and a canoe?

...........yes, and I've also heard of a collision between a canoe and a narrow boat.

The first was when a fast nb hit and snapped an unmanned (cast adrift) canoe, he didn't stop.

And the second was when I was tied up at the end of the day having my snap when a yoof decided that bouncing the nose of his canoe off my hull was totally acceptable.

I refocussed him.

Howard

No, because if an inexperienced narrow boater makes an error and two steel narrowboats collide there is likely to be little damage to the occupants. Same, probably, if two canoeists collide. A collision between a narrowboat and a canoe may have a different outcome!

No, because if an inexperienced narrow boater makes an error and two steel narrowboats collide there is likely to be little damage to the occupants. Same, probably, if two canoeists collide. A collision between a narrowboat and a canoe may have a different outcome!

Encounters between dogs and swans can be nasty. Should we ban swans, or dogs, from the canal system?

I think the Council need to work with CRT to trim back vegetation on a few corners but otherwise I think it is a fantastic idea.

We were on the Medway earlier this year, yes the kayaks and canoes at times are pretty scary especially when they are racing but it was so great to see so many people enjoying the river. Even the some narrowboaters tried it!

r_medway-11jun16-175.jpg

You're making too many unfounded generalisations. Live and let live and maybe the inexperienced -boaters or canoists- may gain experience and be as undoubtedly poficient as you must be.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1

Ah yes, there are canoeists at Harrison park although I don't think I have seen them, just the poles. I don't think the canal is ever closed for them though :-) It is a bit further out that the canal is closed to boats while the rowers are out

haggis

I've seen them - there's a watersports centre just along from the moorings at Harrison Park. First time I went through to Edinburgh the whole of that section was teeming with kids in canoes. All very well drilled by the instructors though - they all peeled off to the sides as I hove into view (in tickover!).

There aren't any restrictions in the Skippers' Guide for Harrison Park, just the rowing section by Slateford Aqueduct for a couple of hours a day (except Summer).

Passing the rowers on the Slateford section out of those hours is 'interesting' - one of the single sculls I've passed had oars that pretty much spanned the cut!

eta

We get loads of canoes of the Forth & Clyde, especially now they have their own network of easy access pontoons & I've not heard of any issues with that. Here at Auchinstarry it's mayhem on the water every Tuesday night with the local canoe club, but it never stops any of the powered boats going out.

Richard

Edited by Lampyrichard

I think the Council need to work with CRT to trim back vegetation on a few corners but otherwise I think it is a fantastic idea.

We were on the Medway earlier this year, yes the kayaks and canoes at times are pretty scary especially when they are racing but it was so great to see so many people enjoying the river. Even the some narrowboaters tried it!

r_medway-11jun16-175.jpg

I love those Medway canoe passes, I wish there were more around the system.

They are in tunnels.....

...and there's a whole new kettle of fish.

Although more and more tunnels seem to allow canoes now. I don't know whether they are permitted in any two way tunnels but I certainly wouldn't fancy passing a narrowboat in a tunnel when in my canoe! I don't think I'll be trying that!

I've seen them - there's a watersports centre just along from the moorings at Harrison Park. First time I went through to Edinburgh the whole of that section was teeming with kids in canoes. All very well drilled by the instructors though - they all peeled off to the sides as I hove into view (in tickover!).

There aren't any restrictions in the Skippers' Guide for Harrison Park, just the rowing section by Slateford Aqueduct for a couple of hours a day (except Summer).

Passing the rowers on the Slateford section out of those hours is 'interesting' - one of the single sculls I've passed had oars that pretty much spanned the cut!

eta

We get loads of canoes of the Forth & Clyde, especially now they have their own network of easy access pontoons & I've not heard of any issues with that. Here at Auchinstarry it's mayhem on the water every Tuesday night with the local canoe club, but it never stops any of the powered boats going out.

Richard

I think rowers are the harder ones to pass when in a narrowboat, they are wider and less maneuverable than a canoe.

I think it has good and bad.

The good.

I've just got a kayak and go out using it when we take the boat out it helps keep me fitish and allows me to see a different perspective on the canal but I am aware off my surroundings and others around me.

When I was out the other day there was a man must be in his late 70's and he smoked me. I want to be like that when I'm older.

The bad.

Inflatable canoes now no disrespect to them as I've got a couple off them but they can be cheaply had by anyone. Late part off the summer holidays we misfortune off following 4 off them who had no regard for anyone or idea. They tried to go under bridges when they was opening. Went straight through red lights then was shocked when a big boat was coming out from a joining canal. Then as we was going through a swing bridge one off them disappeared for a bit it cut right in front off me at a right angle and I had to hit in reverse so no to get them.

I'm supprised the bridge keepers didn't have a word with them.