Interesting conversation with a wedding guest last night.....

Featured Posts

Got chatting to a guy last night at a wedding night 'do'.

The conversation got around to Narrowboating as we talked about our time as boat owners and it came up that he lived near the Macclesfield Canal. He had plans to buy an old boat with a few mates and do it up to share it between them.

Chatting about the expenses involved in boating he informed me the plan was going to be to offset the expense of boat boat ownership by.

1 - renting the boat out as a hire boat.

2 - Hosting 'themed' dinner nights on the boat for paying guests.

Naturally I enquired about his plans for mooring, licensing and insuring this venture and of course it transpired that he didn't have a clue about what I was talking about. I briefly got into explaining the requirements and I did rather feel a bit of 'sour puss' and that I had just rained on his parade. It was all good natured though and he did thank me for the info. and the links to CRT's web page stuff. He promised to do more proper research before committing to an actual boat purchase.

Hopefully he will follow it up but I was a bit taken taken aback buy his naivety about running such a venture and it does beg the question how many people engage on this type of project under 'CRT's radar not though recklessly and deliberately doing so but rather through ignorance??

Most people don't really know very much about boating rules/regs/costs and are astonished at the overbearing complexity and high costs of everything. CRT (and BWB before them) delight in layering more and more difficulties in using the canals.

Most people don't really know very much about boating rules/regs/costs and are astonished at the overbearing complexity and high costs of everything. CRT (and BWB before them) delight in layering more and more difficulties in using the canals.

If you think CRT like to make things overly complicated you should try working in the gas industry!

To be fair - it's not just boating.

I'm Vice-Chair of the Parish Council and also Chair of our local Parish Planning Committeeand it amazes me the number of people who have ideas like "Why don't we have a barbecue for 400 people, sixties music and free beer in the local park" or "I'm going to put decking over two-thirds of the lawn, couple my sky dish to a projector, get a case of lager* and open the World Cup to all comers" without thinking about insurance, licensing, Performing Rights etc. (let alone the impact on neighbours)

I too feel a right Kill Joy but, which would you rather happen; you make them stop and think now or just after that fatal accident, they have an "Oh $#!t" moment.

* For the avoidance of doubt, I hate lager! But, with my Parish hat on, I'd feel the same if it was Real Ale.

Buy insurance (no evidence of any sort required)

Get BSS once every 4 years, not difficult, most stuff only advisory.

Buy licence, about £3 per day for use of entire canal system, even the Anderton lift, and overnight mooring anywhere at no extra cost. How much would it cost to put a 70 foot campervan on a camp site for a night?

Trading licence a bit more complicated on first application but renewal is easy, extra £80 per year to trade.

Other duties....

Phone or email to deny false accusations of overstaying (once or twice per year)

Request help at broken hydraulic swing bridges (once or twice per year)

email to complain about dangerous cycling (not worth doing)

Still much more freedom than almost any other lifestyle, and dead cheap.....till you start doing the maintenance!

..................Dave

• Greenie 1

Sorry, but it isn't just CaRT, so your complaint is totally unjustified.

It is now everything, from building an extension to running any event for the public.

Try running a car rally!!!

To be fair - it's not just boating.

I'm Vice-Chair of the Parish Council and also Chair of our local Parish Planning Committeeand it amazes me the number of people who have ideas like "Why don't we have a barbecue for 400 people, sixties music and free beer in the local park" or "I'm going to put decking over two-thirds of the lawn, couple my sky dish to a projector, get a case of lager* and open the World Cup to all comers" without thinking about insurance, licensing, Performing Rights etc. (let alone the impact on neighbours)

I too feel a right Kill Joy but, which would you rather happen; you make them stop and think now or just after that fatal accident, they have an "Oh $#!t" moment.

* For the avoidance of doubt, I hate lager! But, with my Parish hat on, I'd feel the same if it was Real Ale.

Yes but what you forget is that most people Are selfish morons. And yes I used to be (briefly) chair of planning for my local district council and a member for four years.......drove me mad(der)

Got chatting to a guy last night at a wedding night 'do'.

The conversation got around to Narrowboating as we talked about our time as boat owners and it came up that he lived near the Macclesfield Canal. He had plans to buy an old boat with a few mates and do it up to share it between them.

Chatting about the expenses involved in boating he informed me the plan was going to be to offset the expense of boat boat ownership by.

1 - renting the boat out as a hire boat.

2 - Hosting 'themed' dinner nights on the boat for paying guests.

Naturally I enquired about his plans for mooring, licensing and insuring this venture and of course it transpired that he didn't have a clue about what I was talking about. I briefly got into explaining the requirements and I did rather feel a bit of 'sour puss' and that I had just rained on his parade. It was all good natured though and he did thank me for the info. and the links to CRT's web page stuff. He promised to do more proper research before committing to an actual boat purchase.

Hopefully he will follow it up but I was a bit taken taken aback buy his naivety about running such a venture and it does beg the question how many people engage on this type of project under 'CRT's radar not though recklessly and deliberately doing so but rather through ignorance??

I've seen a few over the years, but they always get discovered by CRT, usually they don't last long because of that, but very occasionally they get properly ticketed up and go legal. If he wants to do themed dinner nights on the boat then as long as he doesn't cruise the boat while he does that, then I don't think the license is much extra. Got friends who put on folk nights and events on one of their boats (which is fitted out for that purpose). Then there is the Village butty, they apply for music and drink licenses in the different boroughs, after having their cruising plans signed off by CRT, neither boats cruise with their guests onboard though. Both have had to make modifications to CRT requirements. It's when you get people running trip boats, hotel boats and holiday hire without the proper licenses, when it starts getting difficult and expensive.