Gunnel anti slip tape v sand

lesrollins

Featured Posts

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys. Just came across this thread. Bought some gunwale tape from a company called Stop Slip if I can remember correctly. They actually sell gunwale anti slip tape. Been down for 2 years and its been painted. I think it cost me about £50 for both sides. Much quicker and I got into a lot less mess than my old sand and paint!! Hope this helps. 

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I simply don't understand the predilection for walking along gunwales. We never feel the need to do it!

I don't use my gunwales that much, but as a single- handed boater I probably use them more than couples or those with crew. Anyway when I do walk along the gunwales I prefer not to slip off them. That is the point of this thread I think? You may want to paint your gunwales in a marine gloss since you never use them but I'll keep mine slip resistant.

I wasn't suggesting that a non-slip surface was a bad idea, I was merely wondering why people walk on them. You make a good point about single-handing, but even so, it's not something I have ever needed to do, even when boating on my own. Admittedly I don't make a habit of it.

Nevertheless, I thought the point needed making. It's safer to board and disembark from the arsend, full stop.     

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I wasn't suggesting that a non-slip surface was a bad idea, I was merely wondering why people walk on them. You make a good point about single-handing, but even so, it's not something I have ever needed to do, even when boating on my own. Admittedly I don't make a habit of it.

Nevertheless, I thought the point needed making. It's safer to board and disembark from the arsend, full stop.     

I do to drop and re erect the exhaust stack at low bridges

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, bobtheboatman said:

Hi Guys. Just came across this thread. Bought some gunwale tape from a company called Stop Slip if I can remember correctly. They actually sell gunwale anti slip tape. Been down for 2 years and its been painted. I think it cost me about £50 for both sides. Much quicker and I got into a lot less mess than my old sand and paint!! Hope this helps. 

I painted my feet in anti-slip paint and then over painted them in flesh tone  paint. Works great? and it saved me quite a few quid

????

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I wasn't suggesting that a non-slip surface was a bad idea, I was merely wondering why people walk on them. You make a good point about single-handing, but even so, it's not something I have ever needed to do, even when boating on my own. 

So I reiterate my last point: If you never walk on your gunwales then why not just paint them in marine gloss? There's no need for any non-slip finish or tape.

In fact, if you're ever getting a boat built you could dispense with gunwales altogether and have some more space inside.

Edited by blackrose

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

So I reiterate my last point: If you never walk on your gunwales then why not just paint them in marine gloss? There's no need for any non-slip finish or tape.

In fact, if you're ever getting a boat built you could dispense with gunwales altogether and have some more space inside.

We won't be getting a boat built - we've got one already, thanks. It happens that it does have rather narrow gunwales. Regardless of that, we don't board or disembark at the sharp end, and we didn't on the share boat we used to co-own either. It isn't a safe practice. 

12 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Regardless of that, we don't board or disembark at the sharp end, and we didn't on the share boat we used to co-own either. It isn't a safe practice. 

Single handing a 70 ft boat that draws 3 feet at the stern and less than half that at the bow, often the only way to disembark is to do so at the fore end, as the stern can be unable to get anywhere near the bank.

17 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

As a singlehander for setting off my method is both hands on the roof rail,one foot on the gunwale,and shove off with the other foot.Done midway or near the bow,then back along the gunwale to the tiller. Can't think of another way of setting off neatly,especially when moored between two boats.

I put some on the bits at the bow and stern where one steps on and off. Purchased the self-adhesive tape (about 2 cm wide) from Lidl around 14 years ago as a special. It's still in perfect condition. The patches have been painted around a few times. Good stuff that German tape. I bought two rolls and still have one and three quarters left.

14 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

As a singlehander for setting off my method is both hands on the roof rail,one foot on the gunwale,and shove off with the other foot.Done midway or near the bow,then back along the gunwale to the tiller. Can't think of another way of setting off neatly,especially when moored between two boats.

With a 60' narrowboat, if I'm by myself, my usual method is a quick squirt of reverse sends the bow out, then off you go without getting off the boat at all.

Alternatively I take the centre line and shove out the bow.  This brings the stern in, then step on and away you go.  I take the centre line so if shallow water prevents the stern coming in enough, I can still hoik it in.  Then I have to think of another cunning plan.  But I've never failed yet!

• Greenie 1