1938 GU Film

archie57

Featured Posts

There are several, but without an address, no-one will know which one you have seen!

Right click on the address bar of the item you have watched on BFI, then paste it into the text window of the post by right clicking in the post, and selecting 'paste' - like this:

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-grand-union-canal-1937/

Touché!

Very nice. Not seen that one before.

Edited by Derek R.

I have not seen this film before either, and as 'Ray T' suggests doesn't DUTEOUS look good - well for a Josher anyway ninja.gif

It is interesting to see how 'rough' the Grand Union boats look, obviously the result of very hard work. In 1938 they were three years old or less, and several of the boats captured in this film were only one year old in 1938 captain.gif

edit = alter spelling mistake

Edited by pete harrison

Fabulous find, well done Archie. I wonder if the missing FMC publicity film will turn up?

Ther'es so much in this film in the way of detail, I have taken some 26 screen grabs, for instance the shots of the "Bulk" on FMC "DUTEUS" and the F134? on the cloths are very rare to see, gosh I need a drink after all this excitement!!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

'Glad I'm not the only one that picked up on that. Just off to paint my motor pink.

Back in the early 1980's Malcolm Pearson, Birmingham built a handful of extremely desirable tugs, and I recall one of these being fitted with an engine that was painted white. When new it looked good, but I bet it doesn't now captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Back in the early 1980's Malcolm Pearson, Birmingham built a handful of extremely desirable tugs, and I recall one of these being fitted with an engine that was painted white. When new it looked good, but I bet it doesn't now captain.gif

If the boat's still about and I can have it I prommise to paint the engine Ice White and would add a rose or two at a pinch.

Taking Mike to Stoke Bruerne today, I'll take my Phil Speight R & C painting kit and see if the Friends of the Museum will let me have a go at Sculptor's engine. captain.gif

Just make sure it doesn't end up more R&J than R&C!

(Rosie & Jim, that is.......)

Intresting there national plates are the other way round what i mean is where the roses are i have national and its smooth where these says national im sure its that way round im going to have to chech nice though i can see how a 1930s national was fitted and what went where

I have seen bits of this though but not all as some of its on the henly (not sure of spelling) archives on you tube and ive watched all the ones for boats

Lots of detail to soak up, like the little anchor on the cabin slide, the little teardrop fender off the back of the motor DUTEOUS(?), and a short section of chain from the hook to the towing line going through running blocks. Bet there's a few faces there that could have names put to them by some.

Intresting there national plates are the other way round what i mean is where the roses are i have national and its smooth where these says national im sure its that way round im going to have to chech nice though i can see how a 1930s national was fitted and what went where

I have seen bits of this though but not all as some of its on the henly (not sure of spelling) archives on you tube and ive watched all the ones for boats

You mean "Huntley archives", and I can assure you this is not on there at all unless very recently added. It is interesting the film has no end credits which makes me suspicious that this is a edit prior to release. I and others are also suspicious its not all took in 1938, there are pointers to later dates and earlier ones. One noticable point is the very worn state of what are boats which if it was 1938 some would be only a year old and a maximum of 4 years old.

You mean "Huntley archives", and I can assure you this is not on there at all unless very recently added. It is interesting the film has no end credits which makes me suspicious that this is a edit prior to release. I and others are also suspicious its not all took in 1938, there are pointers to later dates and earlier ones. One noticable point is the very worn state of what are boats which if it was 1938 some would be only a year old and a maximum of 4 years old.

Yes there the ones was only the beginning of the later one the one without the national in it it starts at big ben and pans across if you watch the archive ones there is one that starts the same might be coincidence that they started them in the same place.