lpws4 started smoking after replacing head gasket

dccruiser

Featured Posts

Hi all

Long story of woes started when one of my skin tanks sprung a leak due to rainwater running in over the battery tray well before i got the boat...i have repaired the skin tank and thouroughly flushed the system , i then changed the head gasket .. cleaned both faces thouroughly and checked with a straight edge , all looked ok.

Ran the engine for 3 hours no onerheating and running smooth and quiet with no smoke, then took it for a run and everytime i needed to throttle up in forward or reverse it is smoking like a chimney .... the engine has never smoked at all in the past .... the smoke is grey and smells sooty.

The oil is new and clean and doesnt seen to have dropped in level ... on first start up it did throw some sooty particles out the exhaust ... i am taking the engine out next week to renew the skin tank, is it worth another top end rebuild as i do actually have a spare head i can get skimmed and valves reground etc in readiness to replace the existing one ....

Any ideas would be welcome

just for further information just started it from cold and there is hardly any smoke so its doing it when its up to running temp.

also i have a 40 mile 3 day trip to the boatyard i am getting the skin tank work done and the engine lifted at so not sure whether to try and limp it up there or to try and get it right beforehand

Rick

The trap for the unwary on the LPW are the hydraulic tappets. The book says something about not turning the engine over for a period of time after refitting the rockers to allow the tappets to let the oil out. If you don't you can bend valves

Does that sound familiar?

Mind you, if it is doing this when hot, not cold, it probably isn't that

Richard

Edited by RLWP

hi Richard, thanks for the input, i did just that poured oil down the tubes annd gave it an hour to drain through .... to be honest sticking tappets was my first thought but it ticks over sweet as a nut .... whilst you are about can i ask do you carry injector seals for my engine?

Rick

• 3 years later...
3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If it only smokes when revved in gear, could  be engine overload due to fouled prop. It will then overfuel and produce sooty smoke.

Well hopefully, 3 1/2 years later, the OP has fixed the problem.

14 hours ago, seventiesandy said:

I know this is an old thread but did you use gasket sealer when fitting new head gasket?

No, you won't need to. The gaskets are already coated

Richard