nobles bow thrusters

cugsey

Featured Posts

• 14 years later...

Thought I would reopen this post as I am about to buy a used narrowboat with a Nobles hydraulic bow thruster and trying to find out what the sensor is on the attached photo and if it can be replaced, needs a washer etc. as there is a slow weep of fluid coming from it.

The above links are no longer of use.

Bow Thruster Hydraulic Leak.jpg

Appears to be a hydraulic fluid tank,and the arrow is a fluid level sensor......You d probably get a new sensor off fleabay  for a few quid......Rather surprising all the plastic pipes and push together fittings...........cant work on very much pressure.

It is nest to the calorifier so those pipes are probably water pipes but unless the PRV is inside the tank reservoir pipes don't work at much pressure, one at a slight suction possibly and one at all but zero as it is the return. However I would not use plastic pipework for hydraulics and I cant see what I would call hydraulic pipes.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

It is nest to the calorifier so those pipes are probably water pipes but unless the PRV is inside the tank reservoir pipes don't work at much pressure, one at a slight suction possibly and one at all but zero as it is the return. However I would not use plastic pipework for hydraulics and I cant see what I would call hydraulic pipes.

There's a braided hose coming out of the top of the tank

Richard

This is probably a small float switch fitted through what looks like an industrial air system bulkhead adapter. 

Best to undo the bolts around the lid of the tank and  check inside. If it is a float switch then it will have a part hinged near its end that drops at low oil and triggers a light or disables power to a pump.

There are various through tank replacements available, you will need to measure the hole size through the aluminum  tank side to find a suitable replacement.  Look at RS components for ideas of what is available, in the sensor switch section I think. 

No replacements are suitable for switching high currents though. 

They are mostly plastic at the cheaper end of the market. 

PM me if you want help.

Edited by adrianh
To verify hole position