To move or not to move, that is the question.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

We arrived in Birmingham today at around 14:00. It is chokka with boats, some breasted up, Cambrian wharf full, mainline full, oozels loop full. There was space in Gas St but I don't really like that for a Friday night. I think it is the fallout from the Pelsall rally and there is another event next weekend. Anyway when I say main line was full, there was a 57' boat in the middle of a 130' space. No-one on board.

Never done this before but I decided we would move it along so we could get in. It looked like a liveaboard with lots of solar on the roof and some other stuff, so I thought "at least they aren't shiny boaters" who might be overly precious.

They returned to their boat a couple of hours later and I went straight out to apologise or at least make peace for moving their boat. They were retying it as they didn't like how we'd tied it (we tied it as we would have done our boat) and I asked if they would like any help to retie etc. However Mrs Boat was not impressed, she said "you shouldn't have done that" etc etc and was unforgiving when I pointed out the congestion. She then scuttled off inside and Mr Boat came to the front. I apologised again but he said "Oh don't worry, its fine, we sometimes move other boats" and we had a long chat about the price of fish etc. He was very pleasant.

So did we do the right thing or not? You might think Mr and Mrs would have similar opinions on the acceptability but it seems not.

<<<I'M CONFUSED>>>!

Move.

But of course there are those that liken touching a mans lines to touching er ........ well you get the drift I'm sure, but something not done unless invited to do so.

As you ask, I would say it was right to move and confess, as you did.

However the lady is entitled to be slightly miffed. It is her home you were shuffling about. You obviously have some concern whether your actions were entirely appropriate or you wouldn't have posted. I consider your reservations indicate a very reasonable nature. It would be rude therefore to be disrespectful to the lady because of her misgivings (as some have).

Rog

she was probably a bit miffed about something else & it was a 'valid' (to her) reason to grump, we all have bad days.

I think it's good you went & explained, well done

eta, i think it's fine to move under the circumstances. if you'd moved just because you wanted to moor next to a mate say then perhaps not

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Greenie 2

No probs if anybody moved my boat to make a space, as long as things are done properly. I would expect it.

Some people were born to be offended though, so somebody, somewhere will moan about such things.

Edited by Guest

she was probably a bit miffed about something else & it was a 'valid' (to her) reason to grump, we all have bad days.

I think it's good you went & explained, well done

eta, i think it's fine to move under the circumstances. if you'd moved just because you wanted to moor next to a mate say then perhaps not

Greenie for a good point.

We were just discussing whether, if the move had been to get sun on panels, or to get a tv picture, everyone's view would change. We suspect so.

Rog

As long as a boat is re-tied properly, I don't think people can complain too much in such circumstances. I wonder whether she felt you might have been judging them for apparently mooring inconsiderately in the middle of a space -- when in fact they could have ended up in the middle of a space because of other boats leaving and arriving around them.

Greenie for a good point.

We were just discussing whether, if the move had been to get sun on panels, or to get a tv picture, everyone's view would change. We suspect so.

Rog

OT: dogless, was that you at the water point at Crick Wharf at lunchtime?

I think I would have probably moved the boat if no other options. You should have been in Birmingham last week as there was only about half a dozen boats anywhere when we arrived and we had the pick of the moorings.

As long as a boat is re-tied properly, I don't think people can complain too much in such circumstances. I wonder whether she felt you might have been judging them for apparently mooring inconsiderately in the middle of a space -- when in fact they could have ended up in the middle of a space because of other boats leaving and arriving around them.

OT: dogless, was that you at the water point at Crick Wharf at lunchtime?

T'was indeed. First time we've done the Soar, and very enjoyable too. Nice to see you out, I'll be reading up on your adventures.

Rog

Well I certainly didn't hint at any wrongdoing by them. I think the conversation went "Sorry, we moved your boat, do you want any help to retie?" She was retying the front rope to a different bollard, and said "you shouldn't have done that..." Etc.

Later mr boat mentioned that there had been boats either side, but not in a defensive way.

Well I certainly didn't hint at any wrongdoing by them. I think the conversation went "Sorry, we moved your boat, do you want any help to retie?" She was retying the front rope to a different bollard, and said "you shouldn't have done that..." Etc.

Later mr boat mentioned that there had been boats either side, but not in a defensive way.

I'm sure you didn't hint at any wrongdoing by them -- but that doesn't mean she didn't suspect that's what you were thinking!

There is a third option- hang off the end of the mooring, with a mudweight at the far end, then ask them to move when they get back. Assuming, of course, that there's no obstruction on the end of the mooring, just a lack of rings in a solid towpath.

I've done just this, putting the front 20' of the boat onto the end of a mooring, and then hanging the back off a mudweight, or a long line with springs if we can't get in.

20140731-195547-71747314.jpg?w=652

Edited by FadeToScarlet

We've done this ^^ a few times.

Nick, I wouldn't have been bothered at all, as long as we had been retied properly and if we had been in the sun had not been moved to a shaded area

With that said, I don't know that we would do it ourselves, I'd be to timid of being on the receiving end of the "rath" of the other boater; but you did the right thing in going to speak to them as soon as they returnedbiggrin.png

As i have been on the other end of this the moved boat i have a few things to say.

First i have no problem if my boat is moved a little back or forward 40 foot more than this there is clearly room for you in front or behind. I also have no problem if someone moors on the outside of me i woukd prefer this than be moved.

My only objections.

1. As long as the boat is tied up how you found it if its all loose and can bang about and the fenders arnt moved to stop the bank rubbing it ill be very angry!

2. As long as the boat isnt moved and then the bit its moved to isnt deep enough i like my boat not touching the bottom i couldnt care less how much its in the way i would be fuming especially if it had been left loose and rubbing the bottom or lifted when a speeding boat came past and the was sat stuck an inch out the water. (This happened reasontly after lots of people moving the boat when i turned up and the idea to leave it so i could only get on at the bow as the back was 2 feet out and on hard concrete and gravel) i was calm as i explained why i put it were i did due to this they happly moved it back and all was good even had a good eveing with them and a drink so im not all evil. Had i not been there and come back to find it was sat in the gravel and having to clamber on and then walk across the clothes just to get on it would have prob turned out diffrent.

And 3. As long as its not moved to a dangerous place e.g. on a bend with the bow or sturn sticking in the middle of the cut or moved onto a sharp bend or so it over hanged a winding 'ole or too close to a lock or a section of falling down towpath.

But that said if i turned up and as above the op did and others have done to me and came over and said i hope you dont mind but i ...... not a problem.

My 2p were all here to enjoy if we need to share we share. As long as you treat other peoples boats and items with full respect i have no problems. My way of thinking is if that guy came back would they be happy where i moved it and how i tied it up. I would normally say treat mune like you would yours but some people this isnt very well so in someways treat it like the guy would kill you if you didnt do it right.

If the guy re ties it as hes not 100% happy up to him but if you have done it as well as pos thats good enough.

But i would say move but only move it if there is no ov reason as to why its there and when you do treat it like the tinyest of marks will sink it. You never know and you would be liable if it went wrong.

I think I would have probably moved the boat if no other options. You should have been in Birmingham last week as there was only about half a dozen boats anywhere when we arrived and we had the pick of the moorings.

yes. its weird how much the centre of Birmingham varies. We walked round last Friday night and were really surprised to see so many spaces. makes me anxious when we boat into Birmingham, I'm happy to do the locks in but don't want to arrive to find nowhere to moor.

You could have really cheered her up by doing as she requested, and then breasting up. tongue.png

I once moved a boat along by about 20 feet to let me get to the water point at the bottom of Foxton - only for the aggrieved person leaving his beer in the pub opposite, to come over to remonstrate with me. Pointing out that he had moored partially blocking the water point made no difference.

You can't win.

my view...

move my boat if you need to, as long as you don't move it too far and it's securely moored I won't be annoyed.

you may tie the lines differently to me and I will probably re-tie them but that is my preference not a reflection on your method

• Greenie 1