never leaving the marina.

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

We all must know people that buy a boat but never take it out, in the marina I was in there were only about 5 of us that left the marina for a cruise, one boat has never been registered, cost a lot to build and the owner says he is not interested in taking it out.

I dont get this, I felt trapped in there and any excuse for a night/weekend/week away I was gone.

Maybe they are just scared!

at least narrowboats are reasonably like apartments or holiday cottages, and inland marinas are easy to use, compared with all the yachties who fill up the most beautiful estuaries with thousands of sailing yachts, most of them on fore-and aft moorings that are difficult to access at some states of the tide and casual visitors are a problem.

imagine having your narrowboat moored in the middle of the tidal Thames, half a mile from a landing stage.

.... yet they still do it, and most of them never sail anywhere.

post-22107-0-65480000-1472837696_thumb.jpg

I was talking to a chap on the Thames in a big plastic boat, he was less than quarter of a mile from his marina for the weekend. but he was out of town, away from home, the phone and hassle. happy to sit in the sun and drink his wine. It didn't matter where the boat was he was away.

Thing is all the ones in the marina I was in live aboard...

I just don't get it.

I'm in a marina and don't get out nearly as much as I would like, but I work full time with a longish commute and there are, of course, family commitments that take up a certain amount of weekend time. I live alone, so shopping, cleaning, maintenance etc are all down to me. That said, I thoroughly enjoy going out when I have the chance and when I retire, in 18 months or thereabouts, I intend leaving the marina and CC ing.

What I can't get a grip on is people who buy boats, usually shiny, don't live aboard and only 'visit' their boats for a couple of days a year, if that.

More money than sense, or is the TV image of boating making it a 'must have': 2.3 kids, a dog, a caravan etc........and a boat?

T.

Edited by Retardedrocker

When I last visited the yard where my boat is going to be built, one that they had at the fit out stage was a massive wide beam, full luxury apartment spec, being built with no engine.

It's got a suitable hole if they want to put one in later, and obviously it's up to anyone to spend their money on what they like, but it makes no sense to me.

I love 'em.

The more that stay in marinas, and the more marinas, the better.

It's them that come out that get in the way wink.png

Rog

Quite happy to take our money though. Maybe that can be stopped one day. wink.png

Anyway, off to York now. Enjoy.

There's plenty on our marina don't go out but I think a lot of this is down to people ending up on boats as cheap to buy housing. As they've ended up on a boat this way they aren't necessarily the type of people who want to go off exploring. I ended up on a boat through circumstance 11 years ago but I also always liked the idea of boating so getting out wasn't an issue, but through illness and life pressures I had probably five years of hardly moving at all. These days though we can't get out often enough! What I really struggle to understand is the people who own huge cruisers that then just exit the marina in Ely and sit on the public moorings in the town so actual visitors struggle to moor. It can't do their massive engines any good......

When I last visited the yard where my boat is going to be built, one that they had at the fit out stage was a massive wide beam, full luxury apartment spec, being built with no engine.

It's got a suitable hole if they want to put one in later, and obviously it's up to anyone to spend their money on what they like, but it makes no sense to me.

If you like to live (or spend holidays) on or right next to the water in a cottage or similar with all mod cons, security when you're away, and don't mind the proximity of other folks, and don't want to pay £400k for the privilege, it would seem to me that parking a static boat in a marina in a pleasant part of the countryside is a logical decision.

What I really struggle to understand is the people who own huge cruisers that then just exit the marina in Ely and sit on the public moorings in the town so actual visitors struggle to moor. It can't do their massive engines any good......

Yes, that is just showing off and is plain stoopid.

And of course, some of those boats are far more expensive than a well fitted out widebeam with the same number of beds. No steel canal boat inspires envy on the part of the gongoozlers like a 3 storey gin palace, so the need to impress and show off must be the main motivation.

We have many in our marina, liveaboards and occasional users who never go out on their boat, and thank goodness they don't add to the increasingly crowded waterways, as others have said.

Some never go out because it's their chosen lifestyle to either live on or occasionaly visit their boat. There are also many who after having gongoozled on many occasions, saw it as an idealic lifestyle but consequently found they were fearful of taking their boats out from the comfortable surroundings of the marina.

I cannot understand why folk would buy a boat and never go out on it, but each to their own as they say.

I have a mate who bought a wide beam boat on the K&A when he divorced. I helped him bring it to South Dock on the Thames, where it only moved to get water and empty the pumpout tank.

I asked him why he did not take it out, his response was that it was his home and he scared in case it sank! This puzzled me as the Thames at that point is up to 40 foot deep, so presumably is the dock, whereas the GU and K&A are only a few feet deep.

He moved to a stationary houseboat at Tags Island, near Hampton Court, and as recently bought a GRP boat to use on the Thames. In total he has now lived on boats for over 25 years, so perhaps it just takes some people a long time to gain the confidence to actually use a boat for its intended purpose?