Foraging logs

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

I have had my eye on some logs i spotted back in April, they have been cut down and laid on the ground, been there since March i would predict, plan to spend an afternoon walking them back to the boat and loading the roof up maybe next week, reckon there is enough to last the winter mixing with coal.

Question is, do i need to cover them on the roof from the rain, can i start using them straight away or do i need to let them season, dry, rest more?

Not saying where they are either, mine all mine!

Split them down so that they dry faster, but generally wood needs at least a year to dry out properly. If you get good dry sunny weather, then a steel n/b roof is a great place to dry logs. If there is enough space indoors, bring in some that is almost seasoned, keep it by the fire and use in rotation as it dries out.

Not clear from your description if they are dumped and unwanted, or if they are laid out to season over the summer and someone is going to be a bit miffed when they go to collect their winter fuel......

They were chopped down by CRT workers early in the year, they went along and did all the offside, someone has already took one stretch, these have not been touched all year so in my eyes they are there for the taking.

I have had my eye on some logs i spotted back in April, they have been cut down and laid on the ground, been there since March i would predict, plan to spend an afternoon walking them back to the boat and loading the roof up maybe next week, reckon there is enough to last the winter mixing with coal.

Question is, do i need to cover them on the roof from the rain, can i start using them straight away or do i need to let them season, dry, rest more?

What species are they - it will determine the length of time needed for seasoning. Also, ideally you want them well ventilated but covered, for quickest seasoning. Unlikely to achieve that on a boat, much more likely in a covered log stall or shelving in a shed etc.

Its absolutely pointless trying to burn wet wood - their net energy value is approaching zero, the heat from the existing temperature of the fire will be used in heating up and steaming off all the water; and it will proper tar up the chimney and smoke out the neighbours etc.

You really need an organised seasoning regime if using free/freshly felled/felled unprepared logs. This is why their value is low/nothing (they have a value, but the transport off site would render it too much).

Trees felled March/April tend to need more seasoning than winter felled trees, plus timber left in length will season slower, much better to collect, process and then season.

Length of seasoning will depend on

Species

Time of felling

Processed into firewood or lefr in length

How and where the seasoning takes place

Burning green wood is wasteful and can be dangerous, it will produce more ash and tars which can block the chimney very quickly, plus the tars are acidic and can reduce the life of the flue and fire

Saying all of the above peeps do burn rubbish unseasoned wood and seem happy, so maybe im just talking nonsense and you can ignore me :)

Do not dry logs too close to your stove!! Our boat yard did a partial refit of a boat last year when someone did this and they got too hot with the inevitable consequences. Fortunately only about a quarter of the boat needed refitting.

That happened to me in a house, I spotted the smouldering log before it did any damage, lesson learnt

Burning green wood is wasteful and can be dangerous, it will produce more ash and tars which can block the chimney very quickly, plus the tars are acidic and can reduce the life of the flue and fire

Saying all of the above peeps do burn rubbish unseasoned wood and seem happy, so maybe im just talking nonsense and you can ignore me smile.png

Those will be the boats with the leaky chimneys and a thick brown stain from the chimney all the way to the gunnel........clapping.gif

They were chopped down by CRT workers early in the year, they went along and did all the offside, someone has already took one stretch, these have not been touched all year so in my eyes they are there for the taking.

If things are the same for a canal as a neighbour's hedge the wood will belong to the landowner on the offside. Of course that might just apply to trees overhanging your garden. You are supposed to offer it to them, perhaps CRT did.

AT least that is how I understand things to be.

If things are the same for a canal as a neighbour's hedge the wood will belong to the landowner on the offside. Of course that might just apply to trees overhanging your garden. You are supposed to offer it to them, perhaps CRT did.

AT least that is how I understand things to be.

Its generally well established/accepted that CRT leave logs etc for boaters, since the cost of clearing/transporting them makes it uneconomic to do otherwise.

Its generally well established/accepted that CRT leave logs etc for boaters, since the cost of clearing/transporting them makes it uneconomic to do otherwise.

I am aware of that. It is the ownership I was querying. If the logs were on the offside it may be that CRT have left them for the land owner. On the towpath I know about but it was specifically mentioned that the wood came from the offside, it didn't say if it was still on offside land or not.

It's on the offside, in the middle of nowhere, big woods...

Get them gathered and split, lay on roof neatly.Always try and lah split logs bark side up it keeps them dry, nature's coat. As said bring some in when you light your fire 24/7 to dry around fire. Never leave near fire when off boat so just judge what's needed and store accordingly.

Nothing beats a roof full of wood gathered this time of year.

If C&RT have cut and left them then collect them, split them, dry them under cover, use them and enjoy them.

All wood, if dried is useful as fuel, it's just that hardwood seasoned logs are more convenient.

Even wood from pallets can be used if dry....it's just that softwood pallets make better kindling sticks. Mind you, hardwood pallets from the tropics burn quite well. They aren't quite as common but stuff imported from India, Indonesia and Africa are often on hardwood pallets.

• Greenie 1