NEW: Forum Rules & Guidelines

Canal World

Featured Posts

Hello!

We have updated our Forum Rules & Guidelines. We decided to do this as a measure to further help ensure Canal World is a safe and enjoyable community for all of our members. If you have not viewed the new Forum Rules & Guidelines yet, please kindly check them out. You may do this by clicking here or by clicking the Forum Rules and Guidelines link located at the bottom right-hand side of the page.

We welcome the views of our members. Therefore, we invite you to provide us with any constructive feedback which you may have. If you have anything to share, please kindly respond in this topic. Remember, please keep it constructive. Equally, we will be happy to answer any questions you may have. smile.png

Thank you all and happy boating!

• Greenie 1

I have found no reference to politics and religion does that mean they are permitted again?

keep up at theback.

Posting any material, anywhere on the site, that is deemed to have a primarily political theme that is not strictly related to inland waterways and/or boating is prohibited. In addition, content containing a religious theme, or content that makes commentary on religious issues, is not permitted.

for quick reference.

You will not use CWDF to post or reference to any material anywhere on the site, or send any message, or make a series of posts or messages which cumulatively are; knowingly false and/or defamatory, aimed to deceive or ridicule, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, disruptive, intimidating, threatening, inflammatory, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, bullying or invasive of a person's privacy.

Personal attacks on any person by name-calling, ridicule, obscene or vulgar language are not permitted.

Disruptive posting such as seeks to test the limits, or otherwise push the boundaries of these rules and guidelines is not permitted.

Attacking or harassing another person through the posting of off-site links is not permitted.

Posting any material, anywhere on the site, that is deemed to have a primarily political theme that is not strictly related to inland waterways and/or boating is prohibited. In addition, content containing a religious theme, or content that makes commentary on religious issues, is not permitted.

Postings about waterway legislation, regulations, management, navigation, moorings, maintenance, and finance are permitted.

It is not permitted to engage in inter-site ‘flaming’ whereby disruptive content from elsewhere other than CWDF is discussed in relation to member activities on CWDF.

It's a canal forum not a place for wider politics. I come here to learn and laugh not read about others' views on immigration and the welfare state. Running and modding any forum is a thankless task but Dan and crew seem to tread the line as best as can be managed. Cheers all!

It's a canal forum not a place for wider politics. I come here to learn and laugh not read about others' views on immigration and the welfare state. Running and modding any forum is a thankless task but Dan and crew seem to tread the line as best as can be managed. Cheers all!

Edited by bag 'o' bones
  • Greenie 4

Gentle humour still seems acceptable.

I guess we will all post with care to ensure content of our words does not harm or injure another's feelings.

I don't know much about the workings of electrics, boats or engines but will engage where I can.

I hope it does not become to dry on here.

could we have a rule about repetition

could we have a rule about repetition

• Greenie 1

Good. It's a canal forum, not a politics and religion forum.

Just like reading a newspaper or magazine Mike, I only read what interests me. Some articles I'll comment on, others I won't

Sometimes I just find it interesting to read what other folks views are, although I might not agree with them.

I do however, agree that it was getting out of control so to speak with a few members being very nasty towards others and something needed to be done. You can tell that just by the amount of long standing members who no longer post.

for quick reference.

You will not use CWDF to post or reference to any material anywhere on the site, or send any message, or make a series of posts or messages which cumulatively are; knowingly false and/or defamatory, aimed to deceive or ridicule, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, disruptive, intimidating, threatening, inflammatory, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, bullying or invasive of a person's privacy.

Personal attacks on any person by name-calling, ridicule, obscene or vulgar language are not permitted.

Disruptive posting such as seeks to test the limits, or otherwise push the boundaries of these rules and guidelines is not permitted.

Attacking or harassing another person through the posting of off-site links is not permitted.

Postings about waterway legislation, regulations, management, navigation, moorings, maintenance, and finance are permitted.

It is not permitted to engage in inter-site ‘flaming’ whereby disruptive content from elsewhere other than CWDF is discussed in relation to member activities on CWDF.

Strange the search function of my browser could find no reference in the text to either religion or politics and it is normally very accurate. I will try again.

There you go, Dean has copied a portion that contains the info you are looking for ^^^wink.png

I do however, agree that it was getting out of control so to speak with a few members being very nasty towards others and something needed to be done. You can tell that just by the amount of long standing members who no longer post.

I would totally agree that things were getting out of hand but I don't think total censorship was the way forward.

As I have pointed out before it is on the same level as punishing all the class because you can't either be bothered or dare to deal with the class idiots (I have worked with many teachers who were afraid to deal with the problem children). The individuals concerned were easily identified and could easily have been banned.

Currently we have a situation which yo use the vernacular of my youth is neither "nowt nor summat". There is a long thread about Brexit very little of which is directly related to boating. Yesterday (or perhaps the day before) it strayed well away from even Brexit to cover general politics. This has been very well mannered. So politics is being allowed and yet the rules say it is banned. The thread can't even creep in under the related to boating rules as boating dropped out very early on in the thread.

• Greenie 1

There is a long thread about Brexit very little of which is directly related to boating. Yesterday (or perhaps the day before) it strayed well away from even Brexit to cover general politics. This has been very well mannered. So politics is being allowed and yet the rules say it is banned. The thread can't even creep in under the related to boating rules as boating dropped out very early on in the thread.

The first post in that thread made it very clear why it was allowed

Richard

There is a long thread about Brexit very little of which is directly related to boating. Yesterday (or perhaps the day before) it strayed well away from even Brexit to cover general politics. This has been very well mannered. So politics is being allowed and yet the rules say it is banned. The thread can't even creep in under the related to boating rules as boating dropped out very early on in the thread.

The first post in that thread made it very clear why it was allowed

Richard

Yes, maybe, but if the thread is now largely politics with little or no link to boating, surely what is now being posted, even if 100% polite and good humoured, breaks the latest Rules and Guidelines, and should be moderated.

If you have rules that say no discussion of politics or religion, then it is not sufficient (in my opinion) to say "this one is OK, because everybody has behaved themselves so far". Either there is a rule, or there is not, surely?

(And of course many will point to that thread, and the fact that people can behave themselves, and hence that to ban politics in the first place was wrong. I think allowing it just muddies the waters....)

Yes, maybe, but if the thread is now largely politics with little or no link to boating, surely what is now being posted, even if 100% polite and good humoured, breaks the latest Rules and Guidelines, and should be moderated.

If you have rules that say no discussion of politics or religion, then it is not sufficient (in my opinion) to say "this one is OK, because everybody has behaved themselves so far". Either there is a rule, or there is not, surely?

(And of course many will point to that thread, and the fact that people can behave themselves, and hence that to ban politics in the first place was wrong. I think allowing it just muddies the waters....)

Oh dear - this is the trouble with 'rules'. Yes Alan, you are right - so I guess you will either start a campaign to have it closed or leave the forum?

Personally, I'm much happier in a grey, anomalous world with some tolerance

Richard

Can we finally get rid of that Brexit thread now? It is clearly just a thread about politics with a disclaimer aimed at circumnavigating the rules.

Now the new rules are in black and white the Brexit thread clearly breaches them.

More to the point, it seems to have become largely content-free

Richard

Oh dear - this is the trouble with 'rules'. Yes Alan, you are right - so I guess you will either start a campaign to have it closed or leave the forum?

No, not at all.

I'm simply expressing my own opinion about that particular thread, but the decision to start it and let it continue is not mine, and I'm certainly not going to make a big issue over it.

I'm not sure any Rules and Guidelines can fully cover anything, particularly if you are trying to avoid posting anything that upsets anybody, but still allow mild humour. For example, I've not been there much lately, but I'm pretty sure the Friday Jokes thread has continued to have some posts with fairly unambiguous sexual content, which probably some would not want their 8 year old reading, (or at least would not be wishing to explain it to them!). Meanwhile flippant remarks like "it looks like a s*x toy", (asterisk substituted to try and avoid a warning myself), have received censure.

At least we now have a published set of rules, rather than an obsoleted set of rules. For the first time in months someone signing up as a new member has some hope of knowing what they are allowed to post, and what they are not!