Charging mobile phones

rustydiver

Featured Posts

its something that has got me thinking after reading about it somewhere but i can't find it now, is it better to charge phones etc from 12v direct or via the inverter when not connected to the mains.

Does it use more power to convert it to 240v to charge it up.

Ive got a spare 12v cable that feeds the satellite dish which no longer gets used which i could wire some usb sockets too.

For a small investment (about £10-£13 depending on output) get a solar powered 5v (USB) charger

Its about the same size as a mobile phone and comes with adapters to fit all makes of phones and tablets, etc.

Leave it on the roof, on the window or somewhere it will get a bit of Sun and it has enough charge to charge a tablet or several phones.

'Free electricity, and doesn't drain your battery at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Useful-20000mAh-Solar-Charger-Power-Bank-Dual-USB-LED-Light-Portable-Battery-/302058186401?var=&hash=item46541226a1:m:mOwjCdv9HA5M7hQKQw51xDA

I got a cable for my iStuff and it has little leds all the way down it that move towards the device as it charges, on a 5 amp or 240v connection it goes really fast, on the 2 amp plug it goes sooo slow, a good indication of how fast the device is charging.

Got it from B&M, about £5 I think

We fitted several USB sockets around the boat a few years back now. They are only a few quid each and have proven to be invaluable.

Why waste power converting 12v power to 240v power via the inverter to then transform it back down again to charge your devices.

So you didn't notice the link in post #5 ?

Nope, I didn't scroll back through the thread but now I have, looks a good thing to have. I'd personally not buy the one linked to due to its location, I've had issues with quality (ie basically things that don't work properly) bought/imported direct from China, then being unable to send it back (due to cost) for a refund so I'd look for a UK location and a UK retailer who can accept returns etc. But there's plenty for a similar price available.

ETA personally I'd not use it - its another tenner, another item to be kicking around on the boat, to find/lose, plug in etc, move around in and out of a window/roof to next to the phone. The "put all the eggs in one basket" solution of having one bunch of solar panels and one battery bank (the main domestic bank on the boat) is preferred for me, and removes the need for another device. 4 USB sockets installed neatly with sensible, well thought out locations for the sockets (1 for the Mifi, 1 at each side of the bed, 1 which can be used while driving). I can't remember how much my sockets and the wiring was now.

I appreciate it might help for those who don't have solar power on the boat and are constantly troubled with battery issues.

ETA personally I'd not use it - its another tenner, another item to be kicking around on the boat, to find/lose, plug in etc, move around in and out of a window/roof to next to the phone. The "put all the eggs in one basket" solution of having one bunch of solar panels and one battery bank (the main domestic bank on the boat) is preferred for me, and removes the need for another device. 4 USB sockets installed neatly with sensible, well thought out locations for the sockets (1 for the Mifi, 1 at each side of the bed, 1 which can be used while driving). I can't remember how much my sockets and the wiring was now.

I appreciate it might help for those who don't have solar power on the boat and are constantly troubled with battery issues.

I realise that it is a different environment but I have one in the 'grab bag', ready to go into the liferaft.

(Complete with adapters to recharge my GPS watch, my hand Held VHF, and hand held GPS)