Crossing the channel from east to west next spring.

dc51

Featured Posts

Hello.

I'm planning a trip from France in an old 15M dutch barge next spring.

Crossing the channel as early as we can get the right weather window. Up the Thames and continue to the Kennet and Avon canal and on to Bristol. There, we face our next challenge. Down the Bristol channel along the south Welsh cost and across the Irish sea.

I've posted here about this trip before, regarding the bridges on the Kennet and Evon, but I believe that should be ok as our air draft is only 2.2M, beam 3.6M. Although there may be other issues I'd like to know about? Our first big challenge is crossing the channel. The option of putting it on a truck hasn't been completely ruled out, but we're not considering it yet.

At the moment, I would like to get in contact with anyone else who might be considering such a trip, as company might be practical option. So, if anyone has any info about someone else considering such a trip we would be grateful.

WE would also like to know about costs we may incur crossing the UK.

DC.

There was quite a full article in Waterways World (August 2016 edition) about a narrowboat who did the channel in May, including details of preparations, insurance, pilot and safety boat etc. Rather more detail than you will get here: http://www.thebookbarge.com/wedding-wending/

They joined the St Pancras Cruising Club convoy to the Medway, and then kept going once we got to Sheerness.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

As Leo says above...

And being an old barge before you even get out on the lumpy stuff the crud of years will most likely be in the bottom of your fuel tank just waiting to be stirred up and clog your filters.

Should be an interesting trip :

Directly crossing the busiest shipping lane in the world

A Dutch Barge going down the UK inland waterway system in which it may (or may not) 'fit' (a combination of air draft & beam)

Going out onto the Bristol Channel with the biggest tides in the country

Going around the Cornish coast and across to Ireland.

With a boat of unknown history, engine servicing, fuel cleanliness etc.

A boat with unknown navigation equipment

With a crew of unknown abilities or qualifications.

I would suggest that if the OP gave a little more detail about both the boat and the crew he may get some more positive replies.

A Dutch Barge going down the UK inland waterway system in which it may (or may not) 'fit' (a combination of air draft & beam)

I would suggest that if the OP gave a little more detail about both the boat and the crew he may get some more positive replies.

Not only are the Bristol Channel Tides the biggest in the country - they are the second biggest in the World!

Howard

And draught. The K&A is not very deep And his been known to stop the odd Dutch barge .

Looking at the Almanac Tidal Streams it seems they can run up to 8+ knots - not much fun trying to go anywhere in a boat that does (say) 8 knots

You use the tide to your advantage to get to places.

Boat speed through the water - say 5 knots.

Plus tide - another 5 knots.

Ten knots total = pretty damn quick!

The advantage of most DB's (Luxemotor, etc) is that they take the ground quite happily, so in decent weather conditions you can just anchor and let it dry out. You do need reasonably flat sand and not rocks, of course.

You use the tide to your advantage to get to places.

You can indeed - bringing our 'Sailing Cat' back up the English Channel we were making 16 knots SoG, using sails, engines and tides.

I would still suggest that one needs to have knowledge, and experience, to be able to read, understand and act on tidal information and all of the other 'stuff' needed to navigate on the sea.

(we don't know if the OP has that, but from the original posts it suggests maybe not)

Once left Cherbourg for Brixham, lovely day, good forecast sea state "peu agite"- never ever saw a calmer forecast than peu agite.

About two hours out sky got darker & darker, wind got up & within minutes we were in the middle of a horrendous storm. Waves higher than I've ever seen them.

We were exceeding the design speed of the yacht on the downhill side of the waves & lightning was all around. The skipper & me were sat on opposite sides of the cockpit keeping look out, after a time he says to me "We're OK now it's all behind you" "Yes" says I "But from where I'm sat it's all behind you" My biggest worry was that I was wearing a big metal buckle in the middle of my chest (we were safety lined to the boat) and lightning was striking all around, not to mention a bloody great metal mast, rain was torrential and it was too wet to light a much needed ciggie.

We crossed a large freighter and noted that suddenly all its lights went out and it lost way - struck by lightning we assumed.

All in all we were very happy to reach Brixham.

Would I cross in narrowboat/barge? Not on your life.

HH

Surely you obeyed the 1st rule of the sea, stopped, and offered assistance ?

I suggested to the skipper that we should maybe call it in, he was of the opinion that we had enough problems of our own & they would have sufficient skilled crew to sort themselves out. Skippers word is law.

Apart from which there was absolutely no way we could have stopped; we couldn't even slow down!

HH

I suggested to the skipper that we should maybe call it in, he was of the opinion that we had enough problems of our own & they would have sufficient skilled crew to sort themselves out. Skippers word is law.

Apart from which there was absolutely no way we could have stopped; we couldn't even slow down!

HH

My suggestion was a bit "tongue in cheek"

As Leo says above...

And being an old barge before you even get out on the lumpy stuff the crud of years will most likely be in the bottom of your fuel tank just waiting to be stirred up and clog your filters.

Your insurers will let you know what limitations they would impost on the trip. For the Channel crossing they would definately require an experienced pilot, and he would certainly require a separate supply of clean fuel. You don't say what type of Dutch barge you have - they vary from little ex sailing craft like an aak with open cockpit steering to a deeper sided motor barge with decent side decks and wheelhouse. From the dimensions you do give I rather assume it to be the former style of craft.

You don't say what type of engine you have either - its horsepower and condition/reliability. Breaking down on the K&A is a pain in the arse, but breaking down mid-channel is just as likely to be a pain in the hearse.

As suggested by Leo No.2, for serious information and pointers you would be better asking the DBA. You will get information on all the safety gear you must have for the crossings (Channel and Irish Sea) plus names of people who could help you with them. You may well find that when you take all that into account it is actually cheaper to go be road, but it depends also upon how much you actually want to do the trip yourself.

Tam

You seem slightly confused as to where Ireland is. 'Going around the Cornish coast' wouldn't be my favoured passage.

Looking at the Almanac Tidal Streams it seems they can run up to 8+ knots - not much fun trying to go anywhere in a boat that does (say) 8 knots

Together with your confusion about the location of Ireland, you also seem to be in some misapprehension about the sailor's attitude to tides. I take it you are under the illusion the Bristol Channel wasn't used until the invention of fast diesel-engined boats?

fat finger edit.

Edited by Gordon Munk

I was under the impression that the Bristol Channel was bounded on one side by the Cornish coast and on the other by the Welsh coast

I have also spent many hours and 1000s of miles sailing the Irish Sea in my boat that was based at Holyhead for 10 years, so have a rough idea where Ireland is.

Having recently (May this year) completed a 3500 mile, 28 day, SAILING passage from Rijeka to Hull in my new Catamaran I have no illusion as to the importance of tides for both Sailing boats and 'motor boats'.

The questions that the OP asked tend to suggest that he is not completely Au-fait with boating on 'open water' and, as such, understanding tides and the ability to navigate will play an important part in the success or failure of his plan.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I was under the impression that the Bristol Channel was bounded on one side by the Cornish coast and on the other by the Welsh coast

I have also spent many hours and 1000s of miles sailing the Irish Sea in my boat that was based at Holyhead for 10 years, so have a rough idea where Ireland is.

Having recently (May this year) completed a 3500 mile, 28 day, SAILING passage from Rijeka to Hull in my new Catamaran I have no illusion as to the importance of tides for both Sailing boats and 'motor boats'.

The questions that the OP asked tend to suggest that he is not completely Au-fait with boating on 'open water' and, as such, understanding tides and the ability to navigate will play an important part in the success or failure of his plan.

as well as a Cornish Coast all of North Devon coastline gets a look in on the Bristol Channel too! ;-)

Agree there is a lot of open water between Avonmouth and the Ireland so having a good experience and knowledge of tides will be essential. Not sure I would fancy crossing the English Channel in EARLY spring either. Coasting down to Dunkerque, before straight over towards Ramsgate would be a preferred routing...

.......... Not sure I would fancy crossing the English Channel in EARLY spring either. Coasting down to Dunkerque, before straight over towards Ramsgate would be a preferred routing...

I realise that this is not where the OP is looking to cross - but just as an example :

I was hoping to bring back our new Catamaran early this year but despite more qualifications than you can shake a stick at I could not find any insurers to cover us for crossing the Bay of Biscay before 1st May. We left Croatia mid April and had to 'float about' around Gib / Southern Portuagal for a few days until may 1st arrived, before running up the coast and across the BoB.

I can see the problem it was very unsettled and wild weather - it was 25kt+ headwinds all the way across. Motor-sailing without the sails !!