Mastervolt Combi advance settings

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

Hello, I have a Mastervolt Combi 12/2000/100 connected to a Mastervolt MICC control panel. I have a number of questions about the advance settings. I have just installed a new bank of batteries after my old ones died after 5 years and this prompted a reset if the settings.

I have set the combi up for maintenance free standard leisure and set the total capacity. What should be the "return amps" setting be and how does it work. I reset the device to system defaults after I installed the new bats and the MICC
gave this at 1% although the manual says 2%. What is a good setting?
I take it the Float lever should be 13.6 for my setup.
One final question on Peukert and CEF these are set to 1.27 and 90% is this
advisable or should i change this.
Many Thanks
Bob

youll need to be more specific about which device you are talking about. The Combi's return amps setting determines when it switches from absorption to float. I'd say you want 1% of battery capacity or less. Trouble is it is expressed as % of charger current not battery capacity so you need to take you battery capacity and divide by 100 to get the current and then express that as a % of charger current (100A in your case). So say 440AH bank, 1% = 4.4A so return current for the Combi say 4%.

I'm not familiar with the MICC's "return amps" setting but I think it is the tail current which, when charging current falls below this value with the voltage up at charging voltage causes the SoC reading to reset to 100%. I guess you want it set to a slightly higher current than the Combi's to ensure the MICC goes to 100% before the charger goes to float.

I'd set the float voltage to 13.25v unless battery manufacturer says otherwise. 13.6v is rather high and will increase plate corrosion.

Peukert probably 1.27 although this setting only affects the "time to run" display which is pretty useless.

CEF should be in the low 90s for new batteries, say 93%

Edited by nicknorman

Good advice above. Do consider, however, that you got 5 years out of your last batteries which is at least pretty good, possibly impressive, depending on what they were. Adjustments for a different battery type aside, a minor tweak might be good but wholesale change may be counterproductive.

I have set the combi up for maintenance free standard leisure and set the total capacity. What should be the "return amps" setting be and how does it work. I reset the device to system defaults after I installed the new bats and the MICC
Firstly have you removed all of the old historic data
gave this at 1% although the manual says 2%. What is a good setting?
2% is the correct percentage
I take it the Float lever should be 13.6 for my setup.
Set the float voltage at 13.2
One final question on Peukert and CEF these are set to 1.27 and 90% is this
advisable or should i change this.
Leave the Peukert alone and the CEF at 90% id factory default for new batteries 92 / 94% will be fine
Many Thanks
Bob

Some of the setting were factory default and some had been changed

Thanks for the Guidance.

I had originally 4 US2200xc batteries. Although they worked fine the problem I had was that they leaked and I suffered a lot of corrosion around the battery tray. I set the Mastervolt Combi up accordingly and they worked very well.

My power demand has now changed a lot over the years. No TV for a start and I changed all my lights to LED. The biggest change was I had a 24track recording studio on the boat and over the last 2 years have replaced all of audio equipment to low power alternatives. I have removed the desk which took a large amount of power and replaced it with a Raven MTI touch screen monitor which give me the ability to mix just by placing my fingers on the screen.

With all the other changes to my system I now use 9 Ah (well according to the MICC) so I replaced my batteries with maint' free Albion 110's. I used 20Ah and the voltage was still 12.7 after 20 mins of no load, so I guess everything is working well.

I will change the return amps as suggested and look at the other figures.

Once again many thanks