Croxley photos

Chertsey

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

We all know North starts at the end of The Caledonian Rd just past Holloway, but I'm intrigued now where "Too Far North" is.

Where the guys wear only vests even in the winter to go to the pub.  ;)

Edited by mark99
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ray T said:

Thanks Ray.

A little mystery solved there - a good fishing spot on the Gade was "by the poles" - I wondered that the poles were and can see it was a rudimentary bridge across the Gade, the 2 rusty poles being what's left of them.

Capture.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

237141008_croxley2.jpg.7180003cf92076a28e823c93d7dd719b.jpgPhotos of the coal elevator at Croxley reminded me of the day in 1969 when a conveyor belonging to Birmingham & Midland had to be taken back north to Charity Dock.  For a few days Comet might have been described as a self-discharging narrowboat.croxley1.JPG.5c5c1c70b254025c70e0f5944d817bca.JPG

Edited by Waterway2go
photo in wrong place
  • Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lorry tipping is , S.Jones Ltd., of Aldridge, looks like a Leyland Octopus,  drop sides were fitted to return load London Bricks, a lot of scrap was also return loaded, this was the thin end of the wedge for boats afterthe M1 opened, another interesting point, what happened to the 2 or 3 open wooden boats that lay under the sheds in the early Sixties, they were very nice little boats

• 1 year later...
On 30/08/2016 at 20:00, Chertsey said:

I recently dug out these photos and put them on the blog but thought they deserved a wider audience as I don't think that some of them, at least, have been published before.

The first four are courtesy of Diamond Geezer (who writes a brilliant blog; check it out if you haven't already) and show a pair of Willow Wren boats at Croxley Mill, and then approaching, in, and leaving Common Moor lock. They were taken by dg's father. The boats are Grebe and Wagtail (ex FMC Antelope and Freda - I think Antelope is still around?). Maybe someone will be able to come up with a date and even steerers?

(Sorry about all the different sizes)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G3PYkxc3pZA/Tf5Z2gIxKCI/AAAAAAAAA6s/0fCspBqUswY/s1600/225549562_411beda06a.jpg

approaching%2BCroxley%2BLock.jpg

in%2BCroxley%2BLock.jpg

leaving%2BCroxley%2BLock.jpg

Then there is Chertsey (with Renfrew) in the same lock on July 30th this year (kicking myself for not thinking to reproduce the same angle)

Croxley%2Block%2B2.jpg

And below, courtesy of Richard Pearson, steerer on the trip, is Chertsey loading coal at Gopsall Wharf on the Ashby on August 18th 1970, and then unloading it at Croxley Mill.

1970_M_42-43_2.jpeg

1970_M_64-65_2.jpg

Finally, here is the loading note for Chertsey's probable last commercial carrying job (the traffic ended a couple of weeks after)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--1B4sMyoHIQ/Tf5dGVpMGeI/AAAAAAAAA60/wo5Nd0QUXeg/s1600/img_0146.jpg

Good evening, I am a new member and came across this article whilst searching for history on a narrowboat hull that my wife and I have recently started working on. We have very little information on her, other than that she is called Wagtail and used to be a working boat. At some point in her life she has clearly been extended and has a josher stern the same as the photos featured in this article. I appreciate there were likely many ‘Wagtail’s on the water over the years, but there are some definite similarities, and we have read that the Wagtail in this article came from being extended from the old butty ‘Freda’. I have attached a couple of photos for comparison, if anyone is interested or has an opinion :) many thanks 

DC31184E-B87A-4DB7-895F-595B73A5D2EB.jpeg

70316E87-839B-4D47-B287-B78DE33FB77C.jpeg

02BA515E-F69F-40FF-AB6A-4996CA76B7D1.jpeg