Kelvin F4 rebuild

tom_c

Featured Posts

I have finally started the strip down and rebuild of a Kelvin F4 petrol paraffin engine, this will be going into the boat to replace the Lister HR2 soon.

hopefully I will update this with more photos as work progresses

Tom

post-5247-0-75740400-1472543046_thumb.jpg

post-5247-0-74915500-1472543082_thumb.jpg

post-5247-0-58130400-1472543124_thumb.jpg

post-5247-0-85905800-1472543165_thumb.jpg

Aren't petrol engines a bad idea for a narrowboat ?

It only uses petrol to start it, about the same as most Kelvin J and K diesels.

Suitable safety precautions and a dose of common sense has proved to be the key to continued use of this type of engine (F4) these last forty years......

in a wooden boat

Bill

• Greenie 2

A couple more photos of the worst cylinder block

Cripes! I thought we had problems with a couple of head studs pulling out. I've scrapped better F blocks than that.

Anyway, I should get the home made solid copper head gasket on tomorrow creating a good excuse for a high speed test run later this week- the engine makes about 420rpm on 2cylinders and 700+ on 4.

Bill

I discovered some damage today while stripping down a cylinder block

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

How did the solid head gasket go Bill?

The copper HG is a success story so far. We were easily reaching the speed limit with 2 cylinders. A new problem has surfaced- she won't idle either in or out of gear, it was fine before,further investigation needed- can't see why the HG should affect it.

We should have a set of camshaft bearings in reasonable nick, let me know if you need. How did it get like that,loose big end bolts perhaps?

Also, can you tell us about your cylinder head /block welding set-up? Is it done with that inverter welder in the background? What rods? Any pre-heating, gentle cooling?

Bill

The welding is done with a DC inverter welder using nickel rods and some pre and post heat, I have found only welding small sections is best then allowing a long time to cool naturally works best.

I think we have spare camshaft bearings somewhere but I'll let you know if I need them thanks.

Strangely the camshaft turns freely with no tightness anywhere.

I think I'm going to have to try to find a block unfortunately, although I have started drawing a fabricated one if none are available

Tom

Aren't petrol engines a bad idea for a narrowboat ?

Looks like a big project , best of luck with it.

I suppose its no worse than the average boater with a petrol generator, the Kelvin will mostly run on paraffin, only using a small amount of petrol to start, there will however be no gas on this boat .

Tom

I am deeply humbled but envious of the huge amount of work you're doing to an old heap of junk / treasurable example of a bygone age. As one who opted for a fug stirrer - even from ex Lister folk, the only engine I have lusted over is some form of Kelvin,

Acres of polished brass and copper.

the sound of one running bet it one two three or four cylinders,

OOOO missus, gets me hot and cold all over.

stop - stop - stop -

Long may you succeed and prosper - there aren't many left (apologies to all the others casp', real trad owners, real listers, bus engines made in Manchester - even two stroke water cooled engines mad in Henley. The ALL have their place.

Keep the faith...

Run out of plaudits and my Whisky Mac is now finished.

toodle Pip....