Mixing Battery Sizes (Ah) in a Leisure Bank

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

After 5.5 years it has come time to replace the batteries in our leisure bank.

Because of miscellaneous access, placement and space factors ‘built into’ the boat by the original fit-out, our present leisure bank consists of two 170Ah and one 105Ah battery. They are all sealed wet batteries -- same type; same brand -- replaced new at the same time, but different sizes.

I was going to simply replace all with the same again, thinking 5.5 years (CCing for most of that time; 200w solar topping up in season) doesn’t seem bad.

BUT I have recently been advised that as the two 170Ah batteries will be ‘overworking’ or ‘pushing’ the single 105Ah battery, adding that single 105Ah battery wasn’t really adding much to the bank. At least not as much as I might think.

I didn’t have a chance to clarify this at the time. Can anyone shed some light on mixing different sized batteries?

There was a long and vexatious thread here many years ago on this subject and Gibbo came up with some convincing arguments as to why mixing up battery sizes is actually perfectly fine. Not just different sizes but he said old and new may be connected up into banks too, IIRC.

There was a long and vexatious thread here many years ago on this subject and Gibbo came up with some convincing arguments as to why mixing up battery sizes is actually perfectly fine. Not just different sizes but he said old and new may be connected up into banks too, IIRC.

Yeah, it was fun. Once again Chris W came up with dodgy maths and Gibbo set him straight.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9418&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Tony

Note that differet types (eg gel and wet) is a different matter.

Yeah, it was fun. Once again Chris W came up with dodgy maths and Gibbo set him straight.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9418&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Tony

Ah the good old days, when you had an entertaining discussion between Gibbo & Chris W!

Ah the good old days, when you had an entertaining discussion between Gibbo & Chris W!

What frightened me was how long ago that was! Seems like it was quite recent.

Tony

Ah! I replaced my domestic batteries (2) with gel batteries a few weeks ago (they were all that were available and the old ones were shot after 9 years). But the starter battery remains an open-cell wet battery. Does this matter? I did alter the setting of my Sterling alternator controller to 'gel'.

Ah! I replaced my domestic batteries (2) with gel batteries a few weeks ago (they were all that were available and the old ones were shot after 9 years). But the starter battery remains an open-cell wet battery. Does this matter? I did alter the setting of my Sterling alternator controller to 'gel'.

You'll be fine. The starter bat doesn't need much charging and it'll happily get fully charged at gel voltages.