Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mizpah2

wide beam

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, DRP said:

Stop worrying, and enjoy it.

Here's inspiration for you;

20160923_142227_resized.jpg.002cf4a6b1825d4a1e3aa43b7e5f71a3.jpg

Margaret is 5feet 2ins, 71/2 stone and "well over 21".

You'll soon find you don't need the bow thruster, and certainly not the silly stick thing on the tiller.

Welcome to the world of fat boats!

 

IMG_0141.JPG

Many thanks for this; Margaret is a power house and I have a lot to live up to if I don't want to let the distaff side down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-29 at 11:17, Ray T said:

Went to the Crick Boat Show yesterday and at a casual glance I would suggest there were as many wide beams on display as narrow boats. Certainly more than a couple of years ago.

I noticed that also, a few narrows over by the bridge entrance then the rest were wide beams.

Had a look on a couple and i was a little envious of the room they have, but standing at the stern and looking down made me realise how much hard work it must be to steer them, more so through bridges, tight gaps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2017 at 13:12, Dave Payne said:

I noticed that also, a few narrows over by the bridge entrance then the rest were wide beams.

Had a look on a couple and i was a little envious of the room they have, but standing at the stern and looking down made me realise how much hard work it must be to steer them, more so through bridges, tight gaps...

Not really. I haven't found my widebeam any more difficult to steer than my old narrowboat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first trip apart from round Salt House Docks to Marina on winter moorings was up to Maghull. In a very bad storm steering a 12ft. 6 width 60ft wide beam was fun and games and control panel is a little tricky at first to reach so traveled at a slow pace.  It does not help that the Canal has not been dredged till past Litherland in recent History, hence Pride Of Sefton 2 and my Boat both had Carpet lodged round our propellers. As had to wind my self some CRT Dredging Boats. Waste Barges and Boat Cranes near Melling where canal breached.. And was stuck on the towpath bank and towed of by CRT contractors small tug.  Past Melling my Journey was very smooth got to grips with the boat and felt confident enough to whack the speed up a bit (not fall) as clear run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

My first trip apart from round Salt House Docks to Marina on winter moorings was up to Maghull. In a very bad storm steering a 12ft. 6 width 60ft wide beam was fun and games and control panel is a little tricky at first to reach so traveled at a slow pace.  It does not help that the Canal has not been dredged till past Litherland in recent History, hence Pride Of Sefton 2 and my Boat both had Carpet lodged round our propellers. As had to wind my self some CRT Dredging Boats. Waste Barges and Boat Cranes near Melling where canal breached.. And was stuck on the towpath bank and towed of by CRT contractors small tug.  Past Melling my Journey was very smooth got to grips with the boat and felt confident enough to whack the speed up a bit (not fall) as clear run.

 

It also wouldn't have helped that you chose to move it during a very bad storm. I often wonder why people decide to move their boats in such unfavourable conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

 

It also wouldn't have helped that you chose to move it during a very bad storm. I often wonder why people decide to move their boats in such unfavourable conditions.

e.g.

download.jpg.25e54ac13f7eb96194a4f4eed9892ae6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cuthound said:

 

Tixall Wide? 😂

No, I  don't think so, was there last weekend and it didn't look like that. ;)

IMGP4220.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ray T said:

No, I  don't think so, was there last weekend and it didn't look like that. ;)

We think it should be renamed Tixall Medium these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We think it should be renamed Tixall Medium these days.

This

 

" Tixall  wide is huge" everyone said, I almost missed it tbh, lovely spot but ever so slightly overhyped  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I once looped the loop in Tixall Wide while towing an engineless boat. Can you still do that?

Yes but only on the horizontal plain. Its not as deep as you would need for a vertical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/06/2019 at 17:48, blackrose said:

 

It also wouldn't have helped that you chose to move it during a very bad storm. I often wonder why people decide to move their boats in such unfavourable conditions.

That was CRT's decision not mine The Saturday I was due to leave I could not from Salthouse Docks so said Sunday. Storm did not start on the Sunday until I past the locks.  So not through choice :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That was CRT's decision not mine The Saturday I was due to leave I could not from Salthouse Docks so said Sunday. Storm did not start on the Sunday until I past the locks.  So not through choice :)

But as C&RT state in their terms & conditions YOU are responsible for deciding if it is safe to move NOT C&RT

Quote :

 

"You are responsible for assessing whether it is safe to use the Waterway in flood or strong stream conditions. Our Waterway offices may be able to assist. The most recent flood warnings can be obtained from the Environment Agency, either on the internet at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ or by telephone on 0845 988 1188 (minicom 0845 602 6340)".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/06/2019 at 09:16, Alan de Enfield said:

But as C&RT state in their terms & conditions YOU are responsible for deciding if it is safe to move NOT C&RT

Quote :

 

"You are responsible for assessing whether it is safe to use the Waterway in flood or strong stream conditions. Our Waterway offices may be able to assist. The most recent flood warnings can be obtained from the Environment Agency, either on the internet at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ or by telephone on 0845 988 1188 (minicom 0845 602 6340)".

 

Precisely. It was not CRT's decision to move Dawnrazor's boat in a storm. It's the skipper's responsibility to check weather conditions and the forecast and decide whether it's safe to move. It was his choice and when things go wrong one can't shift the blame to the waterway authority.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.