wide beam

mizpah2

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Tranquil Rose has been around longer than many on here, think it was built some time late 70's early 80's and was possibly the first fat narrowboat.

Off topic - but is your avatar a certain Mr Zappa?

I can see why people are unhappy down south with widebeams, up here my 12 x57 travels around with ease clearly its horses for courses.

Maybe the license review will say that Northern waters designed for big boats will have cheaper licenses for big boats that would work :D

1 hour ago, Meanderingviking said:

Off topic - but is your avatar a certain Mr Zappa?

Indeed it is, the man who said he was more famous for sitting on the toilet than for playing his music.

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

Tranquil Rose has been around longer than many on here, think it was built some time late 70's early 80's and was possibly the first fat narrowboat.

Tranquil Rose is a well run Hotel Boat,first used in 1973,she has had 4-5 Skipper/owners so far,always nice people

CT

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Loddon said:

No, there were loads of wideboats (as they were known) around in the London area from I think the 19th century onwards. Normally 10' beam though. Carriers like Tooveys and Sabey used them, along with municipal boroughs for carrying waste.

15 minutes ago, FadeToScarlet said:

No, there were loads of wideboats (as they were known) around in the London area from I think the 19th century onwards. Normally 10' beam though. Carriers like Tooveys and Sabey used them, along with municipal boroughs for carrying waste.

They generally were properly designed boats not just fat narrowboats, I did mean canal pleasure boats 

1 hour ago, FadeToScarlet said:

Designed for the canals they worked on.

Wide Boat Golden Spray.jpg

Widebeam Regents Canal.JPG

Edited by Ray T

On 22/04/2017 at 19:56, Ray T said:

Departing Braunston this week encountered this at Puddle Banks. I was so busy trying get out of its way I didn't take a photo. It just ploughed through as obviously it needed the middle of the cut. IMHO it is unsuited for today's canals. The crew were polite and thanked me for getting out of their way, not that I had much choice.

Photo from Tranquil Rose web site.

$_86.jpg

Not sure how wide that boat is, but unless it has a particularly deep draught your experience is more likely to be due to the way it's being steered rather than the boat itself. My boat is 12ft wide with a 2'2" draught and I often move over and give way to oncoming boats - depending on the situation.

Edited by blackrose

On 12/04/2017 at 11:38, Irob said:

same like self parking cars, reversing cameras, and automatic handbrakes. Costly technology breeding diminished intelligence and complacency. 

That made me smile. I recall my late father saying much the same when he bought a newer car many years ago, and it had self-cancelling indicators! He said he had driven for years without self cancelling so why did he need it now? :) Don't know what he would make of the forthcoming self-driving vehicles!

His other quote: "A good driver doesn't need brakes."

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

20170501_120812_zps5pbl4jva.jpg

Typical example of inconsiderate and thoughtless mooring. Just to be as close to the bridge as they can.

Narrowboats do this as well, plus moor up with one rope on a lock landing bollard and the new fashion for mooring in winding holes! I am usually kind enough not to hit them in my fat boat. 

43 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Typical example of inconsiderate and thoughtless mooring. Just to be as close to the bridge as they can.

Anyone moored like that was a prime target for a side swipe when I had the barge. Similarly whilst winding it was easy to suck the water from under a boat obstructing a winding hole and bounce it up and down;)

39 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Anyone moored like that was a prime target for a side swipe when I had the barge. Similarly whilst winding it was easy to suck the water from under a boat obstructing a winding hole and bounce it up and down;)

Yes - but only when I am feeling mischievous :clapping:

1 hour ago, Meanderingviking said:

Narrowboats do this as well, plus moor up with one rope on a lock landing bollard and the new fashion for mooring in winding holes! I am usually kind enough not to hit them in my fat boat. 

Although you do get plenty of narrowboats in daft places at least they give you a bit more water to use. I'm sure after our recent trip down south that more fat boat owners must have sold their common sense to pay for the extra steel......

30 minutes ago, frangar said:

Although you do get plenty of narrowboats in daft places at least they give you a bit more water to use. I'm sure after our recent trip down south that more fat boat owners must have sold their common sense to pay for the extra steel......

I have found the lack of common sense pretty evenly distributed between fat and narrow. The most recent being A CRT work boat moored bankside just before a lock on a bend opposite moored boats. That was an interesting manoeuvre getting in to the lock, thank goodness it wasn't windy. So with the powers that be setting that sort of example. ..............

23 hours ago, matty40s said:

Encountered that one moored there on Sunday.  Completely stupid place to moor it as the bridge is blind from the other direction and with the wide beam there you can't take the outside of the bend.  That picture doesn't actually show how much in the way it was!

17 minutes ago, IanM said:

Encountered that one moored there on Sunday.  Completely stupid place to moor it as the bridge is blind from the other direction and with the wide beam there you can't take the outside of the bend.  That picture doesn't actually show how much in the way it was!

We were moored up when you came south past us. Kathy liked the eye on the front of your boat.

I was chatting to Ian from New and Used boat company at Mercia Marina yesterday. I have known him for years and he sold me my current boat 6 years ago. He was very upbeat about widebeams and told me that 9 out of 10 calls about boats are for widebeams, and the only problem he has is being able to source enough boats to sell [both narrow/wide] He also wasnt concerned about the license review saying the mantra widebeams can only access one third of the network so why should they pay more?

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

I was chatting to Ian from New and Used boat company at Mercia Marina yesterday. I have known him for years and he sold me my current boat 6 years ago. He was very upbeat about widebeams and told me that 9 out of 10 calls about boats are for widebeams, and the only problem he has is being able to source enough boats to sell [both narrow/wide] He also wasnt concerned about the license review saying the mantra widebeams can only access one third of the network so why should they pay more?

Trouble is CART will be implementing some method that brings in more money from us wealthy millionaire boaters :rolleyes: it simply aint going to be a new formula that they end up out of pocket on. An easy method would be as others do to sell by square footage etc as on the Thames and elsewhere. I feel it would be immensley unfair to penalise someone such as a widebeam owner ( stupid term ) who has done their homework and are complying with present licensing and then be hit with a marked increase. Also to try and make ccers pay more who have done their arithmetic re costs would be unfair apart from impossible to police. The money will probably end up coming from us all across the board somehow. I speak as at present a narrowboat owner with a mooring so not ccing or owning over 7 feet beam.

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Trouble is CART will be implementing some method that brings in more money from us wealthy millionaire boaters :rolleyes: it simply aint going to be a new formula that they end up out of pocket on. An easy method would be as others do to sell by square footage etc as on the Thames and elsewhere. I feel it would be immensley unfair to penalise someone such as a widebeam owner ( stupid term ) who has done their homework and are complying with present licensing and then be hit with a marked increase. Also to try and make ccers pay more who have done their arithmetic re costs would be unfair apart from impossible to police. The money will probably end up coming from us all across the board somehow. I speak as at present a narrowboat owner with a mooring so not ccing or owning over 7 feet beam.

Just the same as me Tim, I cant help but feel that we will end up with something very strange in license terms

Is it true that for those with a mooring you pay the C&RT twice?  The first is the licence fee and the second is the % of your mooring fee which goes directly to the Trust from your mooring provider. I had heard that is about 9% of your mooring fee. If this is the case then for a 57' boat paying about £900 for a  licence  and with a £2000 mooring then the Trust receives about £1080.

This is especially true if you have an end of garden mooring.

Boat licence circa £900 pa, mooring permit 50% of cheapest local CRT online mooring, in my case circa £550pa, all of which goes to CRT.