42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

MissMax

Are you a member of RCR as they do a winter service for £130 which includes parts and vat.

Steve

I am a member of RCR (Did something right. Stick that up your stuffed asparagus Mr Enfield). I'll venture onto the RCR web thing and have a look.

Does a RCR person come to me or would they contact Pennine Boats (on the other side of the bridge from me) who do RCR bits and bobs?

I am a member of RCR (Did something right. Stick that up your stuffed asparagus Mr Enfield). I'll venture onto the RCR web thing and have a look.

Does a RCR person come to me or would they contact Pennine Boats (on the other side of the bridge from me) who do RCR bits and bobs?

The local engineer would come to you, may be a bit booked up now though so could be a while before they can fit you in.

• Greenie 1

Just thinking out loud so to speak but is the bed damp or is it wet ?

if its just plain wet then there must be a leak from above - window , any hatches in the roof or mushroom vents ?

If these are the cause then they ll need sorting out once the cause is identified . Personally id consider this a priority because its affecting your level of comfort and has the potential to affect your health .

If a mushroom vent needs sealing then , even if an ugly job is done temporarily , i 'd get onto that asap .

If the bed is instead just damp with no signs of water actually dripping into it then it maybe condensation . Theres 4 sets of lungs breathing in and out on a 42 foot boat and when its very cold the natural instinct may be to shut all the windows etc .

But , somewhat counter intuitively , this is possibly problematic and ventillation is the key to preventing the interior becoming damp .

Maybe im barking up the wrong tree here and others can correct me but if its a leaky fixture above the get it sealed any way possible and if you an ugly temporary fix , tidy it up in the spring or before if the opportunity arises .

Otherwise the issue may be ventillation and damp

As i say , im just thinking out loud but the damp bed needs to be addressed i think

cheers

• Greenie 1

Just thinking out loud so to speak but is the bed damp or is it wet ?

if its just plain wet then there must be a leak from above - window , any hatches in the roof or mushroom vents ?

If these are the cause then they ll need sorting out once the cause is identified . Personally id consider this a priority because its affecting your level of comfort and has the potential to affect your health .

If a mushroom vent needs sealing then , even if an ugly job is done temporarily , i 'd get onto that asap .

If the bed is instead just damp with no signs of water actually dripping into it then it maybe condensation . Theres 4 sets of lungs breathing in and out on a 42 foot boat and when its very cold the natural instinct may be to shut all the windows etc .

But , somewhat counter intuitively , this is possibly problematic and ventillation is the key to preventing the interior becoming damp .

Maybe im barking up the wrong tree here and others can correct me but if its a leaky fixture above the get it sealed any way possible and if you an ugly temporary fix , tidy it up in the spring or before if the opportunity arises .

Otherwise the issue may be ventillation and damp

As i say , im just thinking out loud but the damp bed needs to be addressed i think

cheers

You are kind of contradicting yourself in that post by first suggesting sealing up a mushroom vent and then suggesting the problem could be lack of ventilation rolleyes.gif

You are kind of contradicting yourself in that post by first suggesting sealing up a mushroom vent and then suggesting the problem could be lack of ventilation rolleyes.gif

I don't think so he is addressing two different problems. It would be illogical to suggest leaving a leaking mushroom vent to try to reduce condensation.

I have to ask Max, are you moving enough, you seem to have been in or around skipton a lot recently, i only ask as i dont want you to feel the wrath of CRT, on top of your other issues this is the last thing you need.

from a previous MissMax post....

Talked to CRT and i am staying between bridge 179 and 177 from November to March so in the mean time i am going lurking around the canal. The place that i planned to moor at (begins with B sorry dog ate my map sad.png ) never gave me any confirmation so it is best to stay close and get the boat fixed by really nice people than take my chance with strangers and risk being in a poor location for water and wot-nots. CRT emailed my permit and it's paid via direct debit from my account each month (£216)

There is of course, the slight, possibility that Mad-Max (or the puppy) didn't wake up during the night when they should have done.

Edit for missing lette

did you have to mention mad max?

Now I can't stop picturing MissMax as the below picture (especially as we know she likes using blacking on top)

post-9998-0-24665400-1478780476_thumb.jpg

Dear Chubby

When I take over the 'Sensible' part of the world, you can have your own country :)

Did use bathroom sea lions on the vents in September but I guess it needs redoing (need some dry weather first). I have a vent over my bed that got it damp. Have to vents I. The bathroom and one in the kitchen (all leak)

IMHO those cents are nothing but easy access passages for spiders (I'm looking at you Harry the S*****)

Titted my kitchen windows today due to using my expensive curtains to cover the vents ( I'll send my bill to Mr Enfield). My upstairs back bit is stacked with kindles and bags of coke so I should be ok. I've rejiggered the furniture so I have enough space to swing two cats and a pup (all at the same time)

Should I attempt to change the engine oil and filters myself?

I have winter mooring for skipton so I have around four months to get the boat 'Crusing Ready'. I need

Engine oil and filter tinkering

Battery tinkering

Solar installing

Weed Hatch tinkering

I think those are all the grown up jobs I need a smart person to sort out, so I'll get the boaty shop to do them.

Parked opposite the water point. Everyone else is round the corner ( I had a shower....honest) it's easier to to up water here, just push the boat across :) OMG diesel is lasting forever since I filled up in October.

I was told the bridges near here will get worked on so I can't even go boating very far.

Think I may go stir crazy

Dear Chubby

When I take over the 'Sensible' part of the world, you can have your own country smile.png

Did use bathroom sea lions on the vents in September but I guess it needs redoing (need some dry weather first). I have a vent over my bed that got it damp. Have to vents I. The bathroom and one in the kitchen (all leak)

IMHO those cents are nothing but easy access passages for spiders (I'm looking at you Harry the S*****)

Titted my kitchen windows today due to using my expensive curtains to cover the vents ( I'll send my bill to Mr Enfield). My upstairs back bit is stacked with kindles and bags of coke so I should be ok. I've rejiggered the furniture so I have enough space to swing two cats and a pup (all at the same time)

I have winter mooring for skipton so I have around four months to get the boat 'Crusing Ready'. I need

Battery tinkering

Solar installing

Weed Hatch tinkering

I think those are all the grown up jobs I need a smart person to sort out, so I'll get the boaty shop to do them.

Parked opposite the water point. Everyone else is round the corner ( I had a shower....honest) it's easier to to up water here, just push the boat across smile.png OMG diesel is lasting forever since I filled up in October.

I was told the bridges near here will get worked on so I can't even go boating very far.

Tis probably a combination of condensation from your heavy breathing and leaking beneath the vent.Its also not unknown (on our boat anyway) for the rain to bounce off the roof and enter the vent. Usually only happens when its raining hard though!

I do like your use of the language. What does titted the windows mean? Is this a girl thing?

Its certainly worth learning about oil changes if you intend to keep the boat for some time. Not a difficult job. Maybe get someone to do it for you the first time whilst you watch, and have a go yourself at a later date.

Edited by rusty69

At least you've got a sort of plan..thats good

If someone shows you oil changing make sure you understand cos wots simples to men sometimes isn't so for us women..I went on an engine course but still didn't feel confident to have a go when I had my boat.

Don't go stir crazy...you'll be fine

• Greenie 1

Dear Chubby

When I take over the 'Sensible' part of the world, you can have your own country smile.png

Battery tinkering

Solar installing

Weed Hatch tinkering

Parked opposite the water point. Everyone else is round the corner ( I had a shower....honest) it's easier to to up water here, just push the boat across smile.png OMG diesel is lasting forever since I filled up in October.

This could be part of the reason you are getting a lot of condensation!

Dont cover your vents. You need to get some air flow through the boat.

Fixing the leak is better then just blocking the vent off.

It isn't there for no reason.

I may be wrong, but I read it as seal round the mushroom vent where water is getting in and not actually sealing off the mushroom vent itself. It is not uncommon for water to seep in between the base of the vent and the roof and this is what I think was meant by sealing the vent. I may be wrong however, :-)

haggis

Why didn't you just ask Pennine Boats to do your service.