42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

I've stopped crying now (wipes nose on cat) I'm a big girl....I can handle it (scrapes crumbs from empty cake box)

I was heavy handed on the throttle coming back to Skipton, but I won't do that again (I now know fear) my deck above the engine is wood and it's not wet in the morning. Since I mopped it out and haven't cruised its stayed reasonably dry. I put a bucket for the over flow pipe la to leak into.

I also did a heck of a lot of reversing as I got stuck a lot of the times (my poor bottom)

I don't understand what Mr Boilerman means (I'm not kidding) what's a 'wide angle swim form' is he calling me fat? I'll fill his claret bottles with vim to if he is.

I have four batteries in a holder thing and the fourth just sits where it is. Think the cables and dirt stops it moving. Even after traveling to Skipton from Silsden the batteries registered the same thing.

End of December when I have enough cash saved up I'll let Pennine boats test me batteries and alternator thing. I still think I'll need new batteries :(

Apart from me sealing up my mushroom vents would the battery stop me passing the safety test?

I have a carbon thing :) it tells me what temp the boat is (warmer if I stand up)

What bits do the safety check people look at? Is there a link or something to check

PS

I think I need to paint my gas locker as well and clean the oil.

Thank you. I'm off to the shop need Kleenex and cake tonight :(

It's ok Magictime. Don't tell the forum but I really like my boat (I painted it myself) and I really like having windows that ain't broken.

I just thought of Mr Boilerman and used my inner-rage to keep the cheeky bridge off me boat and keep my windows :)

It's ok Magictime. Don't tell the forum but I really like my boat (I painted it myself) and I really like having windows that ain't broken.

I just thought of Mr Boilerman and used my inner-rage to keep the cheeky bridge off me boat and keep my windows smile.png

Just don't do it again. Your life flashed before my eyes when I read that comment.

Please ban and spank Jim Riley. He's the reason i sleep with the duvet over my head (and never eat beans before bedtime

No need, because it isn't true.

The "we eat spiders in our sleep" "fact" that is often shared was made up by a researcher to see how gullible people were.

The answer is "very gullible".

You chose the right canal guide books. Michael Pearson's publications are a good read as well as factually informative. He reveals a combination of knowledge and sense of humour which makes me wish that he was a member on here.

Perhaps he is?

I've stopped crying now (wipes nose on cat) I'm a big girl....I can handle it (scrapes crumbs from empty cake box)

I was heavy handed on the throttle coming back to Skipton, but I won't do that again (I now know fear) my deck above the engine is wood and it's not wet in the morning. Since I mopped it out and haven't cruised its stayed reasonably dry. I put a bucket for the over flow pipe la to leak into.

I also did a heck of a lot of reversing as I got stuck a lot of the times (my poor bottom)

I don't understand what Mr Boilerman means (I'm not kidding) what's a 'wide angle swim form' is he calling me fat? I'll fill his claret bottles with vim to if he is.

I have four batteries in a holder thing and the fourth just sits where it is. Think the cables and dirt stops it moving. Even after traveling to Skipton from Silsden the batteries registered the same thing.

End of December when I have enough cash saved up I'll let Pennine boats test me batteries and alternator thing. I still think I'll need new batteries sad.png

Apart from me sealing up my mushroom vents would the battery stop me passing the safety test?

I have a carbon thing smile.png it tells me what temp the boat is (warmer if I stand up)

What bits do the safety check people look at? Is there a link or something to check

PS

I think I need to paint my gas locker as well and clean the oil.

Thank you. I'm off to the shop need Kleenex and cake tonight sad.png

I just thought of Mr Boilerman and used my inner-rage to keep the cheeky bridge off me boat and keep my windows smile.png

Have a look at:-

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/private-boats/

Open link to checking procedures (near bottom). Note it is 87 pages of boring reading. Page 22 (3.1.2 ans 3.1.3) advises about your battery securing requirements.

Thank you everyone for the replies. My tiller has gotten a lot looser since Mr Peterboat forced me to touch it (he kept on telling me i had to learn to drive my own boat)

I don't know if it's the way i am or the fact that the canal slopes (it does.....i say so) but me and straight lines are not happening.

I can get the bits in and take you both to the posh place to get a 'Pie and Mash' (and maybe slip the dog in your car). Promise i wont kidnap anyone (because you told the forum where you are going). Ill order the bits and bobs, but don't go out of your way to help as i am sure your OHs will miss gazing at your beauty

You're in Yorkshire, it's Pie & Peas. Pie & Mash is East London.

This shelf where the batteries and the weed hatch is, is the bit that collects water mostly on the battery side. I don't think the boat was built for four batteries as there is one

that stands outside the little cubicle thingy to stop the batteries moving about

I wouldn't worry.

eKl2jlR.jpg

lwoZuiI.jpg

Is this an alternator ?

No. An alternator is a big round metal thing on your engine. You may have two. That's some random electrical thingy. Boats have them. Your engine bay is remarkably clean and dry, it puts mine to shame. Stop worrying about it.

7bVbiJ3.jpg

Charged after an hour. It doesn't get any better than this even after cruising around. The top one goes to between 25 and 50 by morning and the bottom one goes to just behind the 50 by morn or to 25 depending on if i charge at 9 or 11

No matter what the gauge says, you're batteries will never be charged after an hour. After 8 hours, they may be. Sounds like your batteries are a bit worn but in a better state than mine!

G4fpL9R.jpg

Is this the certificate i use to fill in my CRT licence. I can't remember if this is the actual one i used the first time around

SbiN59Q.jpg

I have these books as the are easier than the red ones (or as i call them 'The Grown up Maps')

I6tyD9P.jpg

Some fool put hot ash in the bin (blame the adopted one) Thought i could smell burning but i couldn't find it so i went to bed

This is the VERY worrying bit. Please tell me you're not putting ash into a bin inside the boat? I don't want to needlessly scare you but: DON'T DO IT! Carbon Monoxide kills people on boats in exactly this way. There are threads on here discussing what to do with hot ash which often lead to argument. Have a look. Your options are; 1. Get some kind of metal container and put it in that to cool for at least 12 hours. Leave the container outside, away from the boat. 2. Fill towpath potholes with it. 3. Spread it around under hedges. 4. Tip it in the canal.

Never leave it inside your boat. Even if the top of the ash looks cool, it's often still glowing underneath and that's the perfect conditions for making CO. Which, as I said before, will KILL YOU!!!!!

Also, go today, and buy 2 new CO alarms of two different makes (in case there's a bad batch). Put one near your bed at pillow height and the other at around shoulder height fairly near your stove.

Do not trust any CO alarm which came with the boat since it may well be not working, it seems.

rQUor2z.jpg

This one (the nicer than the adopted one) kept howling while i was trying to sleep. Came out to find her attacking the bin, and after calling her a few names

i decided to put the bin in the bathroom and go back to sleep. Wasn't till i picked it up and saw the ash and the hole in the carpet that i decided i wont be kicking her off the bed tonight

93nFLeT.jpg

So far Hope has found my other cat and told me that the 'adopted one' put hot ash in the bin (i wouldn't do something so stupid)

Looking on the CRT mooring webiste thinking about buying a mooring spot for next year on the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The more i think about Birmingham the more i like the L&L plus i have no reason to go to Birmingham (except for Evans Cycle shop). What's it mean when the website says 'Leisure Mooring' and 'Residential Mooring'

I am enjoying Yorkshire and come next year i fancy going all the way to both ends, i figure it is a nice place to stay compared to Birmingham How dare you!

Why can't i give 'Green things' angry.pngDunno.

PS

Pennine Boats put aunti freeze in the engine smile.png

I am sure Max has 2 monitors one in bedroom one in lounge. So Max where are you moored for the winter? does it have sun or is it amongst all the buildings? If you get sun solar will help keep the batteries charged always better than running the engine.

I am sure Max has 2 monitors one in bedroom one in lounge. So Max where are you moored for the winter? does it have sun or is it amongst all the buildings? If you get sun solar will help keep the batteries charged always better than running the engine.

If she's had hot ash in a plastic bucket and it's melted through the bucket and the alarms didn't sound, then I wouldn't trust them. I say again, go and buy two new alarms, different makes. It's simply not worth risking your life over.

Please do this Tomorrow.

Please do this right now, we want you to be safe!!

Leisure moorings mean you aren't allowed to live on your boat all the time, just visit for fun. Residential moorings mean you have full live in rights. I have been looking for residential moorings since like forever.

Oh and I find looking at the distance, rather than close to the front of the boat helps me steer straighter. Obviously this doesn't work when maneuvering though - ask me how I knows .....

• Greenie 1

If she's had hot ash in a plastic bucket and it's melted through the bucket and the alarms didn't sound, then I wouldn't trust them. I say again, go and buy two new alarms, different makes. It's simply not worth risking your life over.

Max says that one of the cats did sound. It may thus be deemed a reliable warning device, and should be nailed to the wall near the stove.

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 2

"Looking on the CRT mooring webiste thinking about buying a mooring spot for next year on the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The more i think about Birmingham the more i like the L&L plus i have no reason to go to Birmingham (except for Evans Cycle shop). What's it mean when the website says 'Leisure Mooring' and 'Residential Mooring'"

As I understand it lots of marinas only offer residential moorings but turn a blind eye to those living on board permanently. One key difference is that they won't accept mail for you because they can't offer you an official address. You have to use a friend or family member's address or pay for an address service.

Edited to add: Of course that may not apply if you are looking at CRT moorings.

Edited by toekneep

Max says that one of the cats did sound. It may thus be deemed a reliable warning device, and should be nailed to the wall near the stove.

I just read that out loud and my cat said something extremely rude and definitely against forum rules - should I report him?

• Greenie 1

As I understand it lots of marinas only offer residential moorings but turn a blind eye to those living on board permanently. One key difference is that they won't accept mail for you because they can't offer you an official address. You have to use a friend or family member's address or pay for an address service.

I think you mean leisure moorings don't you?

lwoZuiI.jpg

Is this an alternator ?

7bVbiJ3.jpg

I a very surprised (but actually - maybe not) that the battery 'box' holding the 3 batteries passed the BSS.

The BSS states :

All batteries must be incapable of movement in excess of 10mm in any direction.

NOTE – restraint against vertical movement is generally required. However batteries may be secured by means of a cradle or framework sufficient to ensure batteries remain secure under any condition up to 45˚ to the horizontal. Recesses, cradles or frameworks extending to half the height of the battery meet this allowance.

There does not appear to be any restraints stopping the batteries moving 'vertically' (the lid looks as if it just slides down the edge-supports), there is no sign of any 'straps' and the 'tray' certainly does not extend more than half the height of the batteries.

The batteries can certainly move in excess of 10mm.

Easily solved by adding a 'ratchet strap' across the top of the batteries terminated each side on the 'tray'.

Max - Don't worry about it - its not life threatening and you have more to worry about at the moment - however, consider it a job to go on the list for next year (maybe when you are having Solar fitted)

Just to give you some support, here is a little gift from me-to-you, they are very rare and I seldom give away any of my limited stock so look after it carefully.

post-11859-0-13012400-1478251641.jpg

• Greenie 4

Please do this right now, we want you to be safe!!

Leisure moorings mean you aren't allowed to live on your boat all the time, just visit for fun. Residential moorings mean you have full live in rights. I have been looking for residential moorings since like forever.

Oh and I find looking at the distance, rather than close to the front of the boat helps me steer straighter. Obviously this doesn't work when maneuvering though - ask me how I knows .....

The actual distinction between resi moorings and leisure moorings is simply this: as resi mooring has planning permission for C3 use. C3 use is for a dwellinghouse. This means that the planning department cannot take enforcement action against a person living on a leisure mooring. With leisure moorings, they could, but I've never heard of this happening on an individual basis. Larger marinas may have been threatened by the council but that will vary enormously across the country. If you're looking at CRT leisure moorings, if you take one and keep your head down, I'd be astonished if you had any problems. Council's are simply too cash strapped and too busy with proper issues that to go looking for boaters to pick on. So, if you have a mooring next to some houses, don't make a lot of noise, don't make a lot of smoke, don't upset the neighbours, you'll be fine. Also, go cruising a bit and you won't be living on your mooring full time anyway.

CRT have no valid interest in how you use your mooring. If asked, they give non-committal answers because they know it's nothing to do with them.

• Greenie 1

The actual distinction between resi moorings and leisure moorings is simply this: as resi mooring has planning permission for C3 use. C3 use is for a dwellinghouse. This means that the planning department cannot take enforcement action against a person living on a leisure mooring. With leisure moorings, they could, but I've never heard of this happening on an individual basis. Larger marinas may have been threatened by the council but that will vary enormously across the country. If you're looking at CRT leisure moorings, if you take one and keep your head down, I'd be astonished if you had any problems. Council's are simply too cash strapped and too busy with proper issues that to go looking for boaters to pick on. So, if you have a mooring next to some houses, don't make a lot of noise, don't make a lot of smoke, don't upset the neighbours, you'll be fine. Also, go cruising a bit and you won't be living on your mooring full time anyway.

CRT have no valid interest in how you use your mooring. If asked, they give non-committal answers because they know it's nothing to do with them.

Thanks Dave, I can see that that would work for many but unfortunately I have to have a residential address so am stuck with looking for residential moorings for the time being. I look forward to being in a position to go cruising all the time, that isn't now though unfortunately.

"Looking on the CRT mooring webiste thinking about buying a mooring spot for next year on the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The more i think about Birmingham the more i like the L&L plus i have no reason to go to Birmingham (except for Evans Cycle shop). What's it mean when the website says 'Leisure Mooring' and 'Residential Mooring'"

Edited to add: Of course that may not apply if you are looking at CRT moorings.

Not true. Some marinas will accept mail for leisure moorings. I used to live in one.

The other point which hasn't been explained is that of the 'planning unit'. If an application is made for moorings to be designated dwellinghouses, the application will be accompanied by a location plan, marking the positions of those moorings with a red line around them. This is how planning works for all applications. They are specific to a location. So if you are in a marina which moves moorers around from time to time, then the whole concept of leisure v residential becomes nonsense and unenforceable.

For example, my old mooring was a CRT site where we all moored stern on to a pontoon and rafted up side by side. Some vacant moorings were advertised as resi, some as leisure. The boaters there would shuffle around when a vacancy came up so that the longest serving moorers got the best spots. This makes a mockery of CRT's position of advertising a specific type of mooring (and in their mooring adverts they state that a specific spot cannot be claimed). The Council will have a plan which specifically marks which spots are resi, so if you've moved to a new spot, you could still be enforced against, irrespective of what type of mooring CRT say you have.

In practice, of course, none of this happens because the councils have better things to do.

My current mooring is resi, my old mooring was leisure. I lost not a wink of sleep over any of it.

Thanks Dave, I can see that that would work for many but unfortunately I have to have a residential address so am stuck with looking for residential moorings for the time being. I look forward to being in a position to go cruising all the time, that isn't now though unfortunately.

What do you mean by a residential address? I've had two different leisure moorings and had my post delivered to both. I can also have my post delivered to someone else's residential address. What's the problem for you?

Edited by Dave_P