42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

Where are you getting the ice?

Ice will make all the difference between a box outside being too warm and being a safe temp.

The shops... (husband works in a supermarket so it's not a hassle to get it) 2 bags of ice keep icy for atleast 2 days but by end of day 3 you want to have fresh which suits my shopping style.

Buying a pack of frozen veg say three times a week helps to keep the cool box cold too -just eat them within 24hours of thawing. There used to be eveaporation coolers for bottled milk, -a bowl of water with an unglazed terracotta pot to cover the bottle (eg a pot plant pot -no glaze) water evaporating from the bowl via the terracotta would cool the inside of the pot inc the milk. - Green as a no energy fridge.

• Greenie 1

I assume that most of the "simple" questions that are raised on here in the next few months from "new" posters will be wind-ups from the dark side...

That really is the most stupid post that I've read in a long time.

Phil

ETA, not the right thread for that post either, highjacking MissMax tsk tsk not nice

'Probably' eh?

How would that work then, given the daytime temp now is about 17c and at night it falls to about 7c?

I fail to see how food stored at an average temp of about 10c is gonna be as safe as in a fridge.

Have you actually measured the temperature on your baseplate? What was it?

Have a greenie for common sense.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Good grief

too much namby pambyism these days . How far did mankind get before the refrigerator was invented ?

If you CHOOSE not to run a fridge in autum / winter / early spring then it simply means being a little thoughtful about ones shopping does it not .

With no fridge id be a muppet to buy a side of Salmon . it wouldn t last 2 days at current temperatures . Of course the best thing to do is just cook it and eat straight away . But if you buy a piece of FROZEN salmon & store it in a cool place away from the warmth of the daytime then its going to last longer isnt it ?

Whilst at the shop u can buy for a full £ 1.00 a bag of ice that will keep your highly perishable items cold for atleast two days .

Again , if u buy a FROZEN chicken then u have a bleeding great block of ice that will take at least 24 hours to defrost . It will therefore keep other things cool and last longer .

If you buy breaded chicken escalopes from say Iceland then the chicken is already cooked - u just pop em in the oven to crisp up . Theyre no danger at all to anyones wellbeing at all provided you eat them within days . I buy them & eat them cold .

UHT milk - i buy 48 cartons at a time from a supermarket conveniently has its own 2 hour moorings . Dumped on the roof when bought and put away when i return to my mooring .

Eggs : Don t even need to be stored in a fridge . How many fridges around the UK will have eggs in them . Completely unnecessary .

Vegetables -,If you build meals around veggies you only need the fridge / cooling box etc for the perishable protein based stuff . I eat a good deal of roast squash , roast tomatoes - lots of greens etc .

These are perfectly fine in a coolbox for days on end once cooked .

I keep meats , fish , pies , pizza ( all frozen at purchase ) in a coolbox in the engine room so in winter its cold in there and at this time of year its in the shade away from the sun when theres still good ish weather .

I CHOOSE to do this . I could run run my 12 v fridge but cannot be bothered with running , maintaining and storing a generator . I detest running an engine for the purposes of recharging batteries . I have no shoreline . Therefore i compromise and my chosen compromise is to switch off the fridge .

As long as you think about your food shopping choices , are able to shop every few days or so and be a little disciplined with storage then its entirely feasable .

My fave winter meals :

Chicken casserole - cook it & its good for a few days

Beef n dumplings - cook its safe for days

Corned beef hash - tinned meat , tinned potatoes onions , fried egg - fridge not needed.

Tortilla : roasted veggies , tinned potato , eggs herbs ... fridge ? .... nah

Pizza !

Pasta , pesto crispy bacon , garlic roasted mushrooms - fridge ?

just a few thoughts from me . Miss Max is in the brown stuff & the her onboard systems aren t what they might ideally be . So i made a suggestion a few days back to ditch the fridge ..... for now atleast .

If folk must run a fridge all year thats great - its a personal choice but by no means is it absolutely necessary as long as one applies a bit more thought and bit of forward planning .

cheers

ETA : Jacket potatoes also - whats the point if Winter without jacket potatoes With baked beans , worcester sauce & a bit of tabasco . ... Joy

Edited by chubby
  • Greenie 4

Good grief

too much namby pambyism these days . How far did mankind get before the refrigerator was invented ?

If you CHOOSE not to run a fridge in autum / winter / early spring then it simply means being a little thoughtful about ones shopping does it not .

With no fridge id be a muppet to buy a side of Salmon . it wouldn t last 2 days at current temperatures . Of course the best thing to do is just cook it and eat straight away . But if you buy a piece of FROZEN salmon & store it in a cool place away from the warmth of the daytime then its going to last longer isnt it ?

Whilst at the shop u can buy for a full £ 1.00 a bag of ice that will keep your highly perishable items cold for atleast two days .

Again , if u buy a FROZEN chicken then u have a bleeding great block of ice that will take at least 24 hours to defrost . It will therefore keep other things cool and last longer .

If you buy breaded chicken escalopes from say Iceland then the chicken is already cooked - u just pop em in the oven to crisp up . Theyre no danger at all to anyones wellbeing at all provided you eat them within days . I buy them & eat them cold .

UHT milk - i buy 48 cartons at a time from a supermarket conveniently has its own 2 hour moorings . Dumped on the roof when bought and put away when i return to my mooring .

Eggs : Don t even need to be stored in a fridge . How many fridges around the UK will have eggs in them . Completely unnecessary .

Vegetables -,If you build meals around veggies you only need the fridge / cooling box etc for the perishable protein based stuff . I eat a good deal of roast squash , roast tomatoes - lots of greens etc .

I keep meats , fish , pies , pizza ( all frozen at purchase ) in a coolbox in the engine room so in winter its cold in there and at this time of year its in the shade away from the sun when theres still good ish weather .

I CHOOSE to do this . I could run run my 12 v fridge but cannot be bothered with running , maintaining and storing a generator . I detest running an engine for the purposes of recharging batteries . I have no shoreline . Therefore i compromise and my chosen compromise is to switch off the fridge .

As long as you think about your food shopping choices , are able to shop every few days or so and be a little disciplined with storage then its entirely feasable .

My fave winter meals :

Corned beef hash - tinned meat , tinned potatoes onions , fried egg - fridge not needed.

Pizza !

just a few thoughts from me . Miss Max is in the brown stuff & the her onboard systems aren t what they might ideally be . So i made a suggestion a few days back to ditch the fridge ..... for now atleast .

If folk must run a fridge all year thats great - its a personal choice but by no means is it absolutely necessary as long as one applies a bit more thought and bit of forward planning .

cheers

ETA : Jacket potatoes also - whats the point if Winter without jacket potatoes With baked beans , worcester sauce & a bit of tabasco . ... Joy

That is a very long post some of which is true, some maybe not BUT you seem to miss the point entirely.

Fridges are NOT meant for storage of food they were designed purely to keep cider, some kinds of beer and gin and tonic cold. It should be a criminal offence not to keep such important items nice and cold therefore all boats by uk law should be required to have one fitted and in use and it should be top of the list for the BSS.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 3

That really is the most stupid post that I've read in a long time.

Phil

Ok, I'll rephrase it. Before going to a great deal of effort in giving extensive technical detail in response to a naive question from a new poster, it would be wise to consider the slight possibility of it being an attempt to expose the considerable drop in expertise on this forum now that so many have moved away.

Good grief

My fave winter meals :

Pizza !

cheers

Another excellent and helpful post from Mr Chubby.

Misses the point I was making ever so slightly though. It is often stated on here that putting food outside is equivalent to putting it in a fridge. It isn't.

• Greenie 1

....it would be wise to consider the slight possibility of it being an attempt to expose the considerable drop in expertise on this forum now that so many have moved away.

I never consider the motives of an OP if it leads to an interesting discussion.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

Ok, I'll rephrase it. Before going to a great deal of effort in giving extensive technical detail in response to a naive question from a new poster, it would be wise to consider the slight possibility of it being an attempt to expose the considerable drop in expertise on this forum now that so many have moved away.

I agree it's a very slight possibility, but personally I wouldn't care if I was being "had". (what's that saying about fool me twice..?) Some of us on here have played the devil's advocate more the once just to get an interesting debate going.

And, I don't accept there's been a considerable drop in expertise so any attempt to expose it would backfire.

I agree it's a very slight possibility, but personally I wouldn't care if I was being "had". (what's that saying about fool me twice..?) Some of us on here have played the devil's advocate more the once just to get an interesting debate going.

And, I don't accept there's been a considerable drop in expertise so any attempt to expose it would backfire.

Why are we using this thread to discuss another thread?

Shouldn't we discuss that thread in the thread itself?

MissMax will be along to fill our pillows with corned beef if we carry on like this!

First off 'In My Defence' you chaps know that I don't go fast.....(or in a straight line) and I'm on my own and I have the attention span of a Springer Spaniel. So here goes

Left Silsden at 9:14 am (waiting on mist to clear and ) everyone had 3 tinkle times ( yes including me) and we set off to Skipton. My goal was to go hell for leather (faux leather ) and do it none stop.

I figured the Saturday would be great for heading back as all the pleasure boats would be either coming or going and I wouldn't have to wrestle any bridges ( more or less true) .

Got out of Silsden dodging the floating islands of doom. All going fine pottering along and remembering to stay in the middle and moving to the left when any boats (and blinking canoes which are worse than a swarm of swans) came my way.

Bridge 191 to 188 I did on my own. Not only did I slip and slide my way through 191 I also ate the bits of cows that end up getting hosed out the cow shed. Why don't cows wipe their blooming feet and wear nappies!

Bridge 187 getting to it was like that bit in Star Wars were they had to get the bomb into the Death Star while being shot at. Boats moored up at pinch points as the other side had trees and roots poking were they had no business poking. Going slow past them and the wind kept on trying to run me into the roots. I saw a pleasure boat coming through the bridge so I figured I'd up the speed and gun it (think it was number two on the speed maker handle) the boat and crew held the bridge open for me (Pennine Boats YAY) and I made it through.

Bridge 185 was assisted by a family :) dad teaching kids about canals and boats while the wife took pics.

Bridge 184 I did myself (I lost my flask to Davy Jones)

Bridge 183 I had help from a lovely couple on a Silsden boat. Some how I many to run the boat a ground trying to get it through on my own. They helped me shift him ( boats a boy as a girl boat would do what I say without having to scream at it)

Bridge 182 is the only one I like. Its electronic and the bits are on the correct side.

Bridge 181 I totally gunned it (tried number 3 on the handle thing) as a boat was having trouble using the turny-roundly-hole and had got stuck. By the time I caught up (went back to using number 2 speed) the bridge was held open for me and I was close to tears at the fact that I wouldn't have to do another one today.

Missy the bit about Getting past Snaygill boats. The great big wide beam kept on coming towards me even though it had a country the size of France on its right side and I had boats double and triple moored on my side (put your Bleeping tea drink down) I ran out of body parts to clench.

Did I mention that I got into Skipton at 4:45 and moored up just near the foot bridge before Bridge 179 as I was close to going mad! (Shut up at the back and stop sniggering).

Is it possible to go 'Canal Blind' were you have been crusing for so long, eyes glued to the canal that all you can see is a never ending stretch of water that will take your soul and your sanity and devour it? Or am I just being a total newbie softie!? I honestly thought I was in some weird Twilight zone episode as I didn't seem to be getting any closer to Skipton and I was sure new bits of the canal appeared every time I blinked.

There was a 'Creep Show' movie about teens who went to the lake and got devoured by a floating thingy that lurked around the raft they took shelter on, I swear the same thing was following me! Every time I glanced behind me there was some floating thing following me ( or maybe I had been at the tiller go to long)

I stopped for tinkle time before bridge 183 (so did the rest of the crew) and a cup of coffee which promptly turned to ice cold as soon as I took it outside :( .

I won't mention that I had to go back for my mooring pin.....then go back for my hammer ( a lady doesn't talk about things like that)

When I moored up (crashed into the side of the canal and staggered off) all I wanted to do was go inside, find a nice spot on the floor and curl up into a ball but having pets it was a case of walk, feed, walk, poke shout, walk . Then empty boat of rubbish and take my loo to the special place as opposed to going on a bus ride to Keighly bus station and doing some discreet coughing when emptying my cassette.

I honestly don't know how people can cruise all day long! It's blooming exhausting. I only did around 7 miles but I was shattered and most definitely losing my grip on reality ( did I or did I not say shut up at the back). How the heck do yo lot do it?

Batteries still lurk around 75 ( will post pics) then by morning they are touching the speckled red bit.

The darkness periods will be longer so heck knows what I will do. I can't do weird techi stuff on my lights ( doesn't involve a hammer) can't use candles ( either me or the crew will start a fire).

Skipton is brighter the being in the countryside so I could turn the light off ( sleep with head torch)

Any how. From 9:14 to 4:45 is just under two hours ( if I have to come back there with my slipper I will. Shut up) so that was really good timing. My arm hurts, my legs are screaming, got a really cool bruise and I've got clothes that smell of cows. It was freaking fantastic :)

• Greenie 3

PS

Chaps. Yes you lot. You do all know my techi-know how- thingy involves pointing and hitting.

(See Mr Nightwatch)

I've only just discovered how to make fire that doesn't go out ( all the others left me) I've only just stopped running away from the cooker when I turn it on ( Gas is blooming frightening). So any bits of advice, info or a clip round the ear is welcome.

My current frigdge is tired looking and the rubber is all split, but as pointed out to me my batteries or my alternator is not in the best of health so fridge use is a no-no for the time being.

I don't have a cold space in the boat ( shush..... My brain is like Windows Vista) I could leave food outside at night but during the day....I have no cold space inside as I have the boart bit wher I live and the engine bit where its warm then hot then warm again. Even the bit on top above the engine where your supposed to stand gets warm. Ice box and regular shopping trips for now I guess.

Question

How much do shops charge for a oil and filter change. Just a ball park estimate ( pretty please)

Sealing windows from draughts. I'm sure it was Mr Dave-P that told me about it. The rubber on most of my windows is shot. What size draught excluder or whatever it is do I buy please. My bin bag curtains keep on flapping and it's creeping me out.

• Greenie 1

In my defence Lysander (goes to Google maps, types in name, gives gps location to flying monkeys who will do my bidding)

I know what I meant when I write it and I did move to the correct side, just you lot refuse to come round to my wat of thinking ( blows raspberry)

So sad about Laurie.Booth. Last person I expected to hear would wake up wrapped in a blend of herbs and spices in a Aldi freezer (Waitrose is to good for the blighter)

Why are we using this thread to discuss another thread?

Shouldn't we discuss that thread in the thread itself?

MissMax will be along to fill our pillows with corned beef if we carry on like this!

Sir, sir, he started it sir...

No, seriously, I agree.