42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

Hi Max..we all have lists...mine gets bigger and bigger as Horror House throws more and more hissy fits...she's chucked wood off the walls and a load of the new plaster in one room so I had 2 options...get upset or shut the door..door shut...however in your boat you don't have option 2 and Option 1 ain't so good either..tears = more damp.

Have 2 lists..one for essentials 'must do' and the other a sort of wish list for as and when..keep plodding on you will get there. Concentrate on the jobs that'll make winter bearable and then when spring here is time to sort out other stuff.

• Greenie 1

Where does the air come from?

That's a very big question. To understand where it comes from, first I think one needs a good understanding of how the Earth is thought to have formed.

Trouble is, I don't, so I can't really help you with that one...

(So many shins to give a good kicking and yet they are so far away :( )

Thank you 'Most Perfect and Majestic' Patty-Ann (you shall have the northern hemisphere when I rule the world). I'll get the inside looking pretty for now, although I think I should get new batteries for winter.

Leaving for Skipton on Saturday :( . I like this spot as I can leave the door open and let the cats treat it like a hotel and the dog gets to be as weird as she likes and only sheep are witness to it (sheep won't tell, they have bigger problems). Won't miss taking my toilet on bus trips and I won't miss the Co-Op (blooming expensive) or Aldi (it's boring).

I thought I would look like Tom Hanks when he was stranded on that island, but I've only got a bit of stubble and I haven't lost any weight :( . Not looking forward to doing all those swing bridges again Grrrr. Book says it should take around 4 hours but the book lies like my mirror in the morning (I am a pretty princess damn it!).

My tank or whatever was leaking has stopped leaking since I fiddled with the pipe air thing. Is that what was making the tanks leak then?

Buying a boat makes no sense whatsoever! It's not a one off payment then putting your feet up. Why always this not mentioned when I asked about buying a boat :( (So many shins Grrr)

Buying a boat makes no sense whatsoever! It's not a one off payment then putting your feet up. Why always this not mentioned when I asked about buying a boat sad.png (So many shins Grrr)

Point of Order yerMaxiness...

I bet it WAS mentioned, but your selective deafness kicked in...

(So many shins to give a good kicking and yet they are so far away sad.png )

Thank you 'Most Perfect and Majestic' Patty-Ann (you shall have the northern hemisphere when I rule the world). I'll get the inside looking pretty for now, although I think I should get new batteries for winter.

Leaving for Skipton on Saturday sad.png . I like this spot as I can leave the door open and let the cats treat it like a hotel and the dog gets to be as weird as she likes and only sheep are witness to it (sheep won't tell, they have bigger problems). Won't miss taking my toilet on bus trips and I won't miss the Co-Op (blooming expensive) or Aldi (it's boring).

I thought I would look like Tom Hanks when he was stranded on that island, but I've only got a bit of stubble and I haven't lost any weight sad.png . Not looking forward to doing all those swing bridges again Grrrr. Book says it should take around 4 hours but the book lies like my mirror in the morning (I am a pretty princess damn it!).

My tank or whatever was leaking has stopped leaking since I fiddled with the pipe air thing. Is that what was making the tanks leak then?

Buying a boat makes no sense whatsoever! It's not a one off payment then putting your feet up. Why always this not mentioned when I asked about buying a boat sad.png (So many shins Grrr)

Even new batteries will need to be regulary charged, so you'll need shore-power and a battery-charger, have a decent alternator on your engine to charge them or an independent genny, if not your new batteries aren't going to last long.

Grrr ! why didn't anybody tell you this before you painted the boat black, if she would still have been blue you could have sold her to a woman that was desperate to buy a blue boat.

Peter.

Even new batteries will need to be regulary charged, so you'll need shore-power and a battery-charger, have a decent alternator on your engine to charge them or an independent genny, if not your new batteries aren't going to last long.

By far the most challenging aspect in my personal experience of Living On A Boat is getting to grips with battery charging.

The more you find out about it the more you'll realise you don't know. It take a few batches of wrecked brand new batteries for this wisdom to really sink in, and how much you need to study the subject.

Mark my worms. Hope that helps.

MtB

I'll have you know Mr Boilerman chap. I was dragged into a car and driven to a cashpoint and forced to handover a whole chunk of cash or get water boarded with Marmite (it's on CCTV)

Mr Bargemaster Grrr I'll have you up before a grown up for making things up (note to self, find a drunk grown up) I was on my way to my sick grans second cousins aunt when this forum leapt out from behind a bush and whip proper it's coat. Forum said that if I bought a 'Blue Boat' then my sic grans aunt cousin would be able to walk again and the baby kittens wouldn't have to go to the work house. (Blows raspberry)

Would suggest max that you prioritize what needs money spending on, you mentioned the solar, but i would wait till next march for that, need to fix the important things first, heat, engine, water, cooking....

If you can move, stay warm, heat water and eat a hot meal then thats the basics, everything else can wait till money becomes more readily available.

Wise words here.

The last thing to buy is "a round tuit". Once you have one of those you actually have to start fixing the things on THE LIST, :)

• Greenie 1

The last thing to buy is "a round tuit". Once you have one of those you actually have to start fixing the things on THE LIST, smile.png

Very neat, Mr. Hound! We actually have one here at home! Not sure it makes that much difference to the speed at which tasks are done, mind.

By far the most challenging aspect in my personal experience of Living On A Boat is getting to grips with battery charging.

The more you find out about it the more you'll realise you don't know. It take a few batches of wrecked brand new batteries for this wisdom to really sink in, and how much you need to study the subject.

Mark my worms. Hope that helps.

MtB

Yes it's very revealing that when you talk to continuous cruisers as opposed to those who park up in a marina for the winter the generation and storage of electricery is usually the most thorny issue. I conclude that you have to find some other way of generating power other than running the engine, if you want to live anything resembling a "normal" life , that is.

Yes it's very revealing that when you talk to continuous cruisers as opposed to those who park up in a marina for the winter the generation and storage of electricery is usually the most thorny issue. I conclude that you have to find some other way of generating power other than running the engine, if you want to live anything resembling a "normal" life , that is.

In the three darkest winter months yes. Running an engine of some sort for extended periods is more or less essential unless you have a massive amount of roofspace (i.e.a widebeam) on which to install 1KW or more of solar. Even then you'll only get a dozen or two AH from it per day ( in my experience - other seem to dispute this) so parsimonious use of the elextrixity is essential.

Would it be rude to plug into another persons boat when they ain't in?

Had a look at my account and did some finger and toes mathematical calculations and came to the conclusion that my pets are going to have to get on a treadmill through winter :(

The biggest thing i have learnt is not to just have lights on for the sake of it, even though they are led, i still only have the minimum on, candles are cheap, my fridge is turned down to lowest setting, tv doesnt come on now in the week as i use the laptop which gets charged at work, phones also gets charged at work.

Would it be rude to plug into another persons boat when they ain't in?

Had a look at my account and did some finger and toes mathematical calculations and came to the conclusion that my pets are going to have to get on a treadmill through winter sad.png

Plug into a street light.

:)

I think if I tried the street lamp, it would be me as well as the boat that are lighting up :D

I have those long tube lights. Nothing eco friendly on this boat although I do have one light on at a time. I don't use the fridge that came with the boat (getting chucked when I work out how to remove it) only charge phone, computer and camera. I'm not that power hungry really. Just don't do the dark so I leave a light on in the kitchen which covers bedroom and sitting area bit.

(Maybe I could get extension lead and use Mr Enfields boat.. His fault I bought this boat)

Hi Max....

You are doing OK...I know nuffin much about batteries cept they freaked me out occasionally when I had boat, stuff thats not easily to understand can be scary. If u keep a light on then you will drain then and keep needing to run engine. U obviously need one light thats not so power hungry as those you have for overnight..Im sure those who know on here may be able to suggest summit.

If you get new batteries you will still need to keep them charged

You could soon store stuff outside when weather gets colder thus eliminating need for fridge till next year...I used to turn mine off most of the time in the winter months.

Keep smiling...

Can I use a portable inverter to run a normal fridge? Buying both is a lot cheaper than buying a £500 fridge.

This one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RV69O0I/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477581955&sr=8-4π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Inverter&dpPl=1&dpID=51hcXO1P5TL&ref=plSrch

The specs of that inverter doesn't show how many amps the inverter uses itself for just been on so I'm guessing is quite high and is possible that it's uses more power than the fridge itself so I wouldn't.

The cost of buying a 12v fridge or fridge and decent inverter isn't the main cost, it's generating the electric to run it that is.

Jut done some quick calculations on a efficient zero power inverter and a inverter with a poor zero power usage, and the difference is around £200 per year in generating electric using a diesel source engine (or genny), so it's pretty optimistic and possible more.