Female single hander

Tristesse

Featured Posts

Seriously, it's the next big thing. Canal Grunge. You heard it here first.

They're using it in the new marketing campaign for Canal No.5: The scent of the boater.

PB has long joked about men putting diesel behind their ears to drive the girls wild, so it's only fair I suppose.

• Greenie 1

Yes Starry, that all sounds familiar.

I remember mooring up a long way from any town, people or boats, just enjoying the countryside as I like to do. I went walking with my dog and met another boater, also moored out in the sticks and with his own dog. He said 'Lucky you've got a dog to protect you, moored alone out here'. He was a solo boater with a dog. I was a solo boater with a dog. As far as I was concerned, the only difference was that he had a penis. Short of hitting an attacker over the head with that, I didn't see I was any more vulnerable than he was!

• Greenie 1

Yes Starry, that all sounds familiar.

I remember mooring up a long way from any town, people or boats, just enjoying the countryside as I like to do. I went walking with my dog and met another boater, also moored out in the sticks and with his own dog. He said 'Lucky you've got a dog to protect you, moored alone out here'. He was a solo boater with a dog. I was a solo boater with a dog. As far as I was concerned, the only difference was that he had a penis. Short of hitting an attacker over the head with that, I didn't see I was any more vulnerable than he was!

The last time I (male) was on my own another boater (with a dog) said to me - It's good having a dog, good company and good for protection.

I suspect your guy was trying to be reassuring. I suppose we never really know a strangers true meaning when they make little comments.......

Chewbacka, you're probably right. I guess what I dislike is the assumption that I SHOULD feel afraid, the implication being 'without a protecting male'. Women are always getting this guff, we're brought up with it, we scare and confine each other with it and it leads to the attitude of "why was she out walking there alone in the first place, she was asking for it".

Another female boater told me she kept a large pair of men's boots on her roof to deter would-be attackers. I just don't want to be a person who doesn't just hide behind a man, but his boots!

• Greenie 1

Also a female living on my own, never felt any more vulnerable on the boat than on land to be honest. I try and take a few weeks off work and go off galavanting round the system and think nothing of it. I chat to anyone and have no trouble going anywhere on my own, I moor where I want to.

But behind the bimbo facade us a complete nutter that takes no shit! We have all had our share of weirdos, you learn to trust your instincts and having 2 large hairy dogs sort of makes you invincible as well.

Chewbacka, you're probably right. I guess what I dislike is the assumption that I SHOULD feel afraid, the implication being 'without a protecting male'. Women are always getting this guff, we're brought up with it, we scare and confine each other with it and it leads to the attitude of "why was she out walking there alone in the first place, she was asking for it".

Another female boater told me she kept a large pair of men's boots on her roof to deter would-be attackers. I just don't want to be a person who doesn't just hide behind a man, but his boots!

Whilst i agree with you, i must admit i have on a couple of occasions had a "bf who's out with the dog" but only for guys who were acting drunk and intrusive where i thought "not interested - go away" would just lead to more bother.

I dont think i can add to Starcoaster's advice. I did used to point out to folks asking intrusive 'where do you moor/where are you going' type questions that not everyone was happy to answer personal questions but no matter how nicely i said it some people still took offence so i dont bother now - i'm either very vague or i just tell em a lie

There's loads of us single handed females out there, you'll be fine Tristesse

• Greenie 1

Thank you all so much. I feel reassured and can't wait to start looking for my boat. I have to move house first...downsizing to fund boat purchase. I then hope I can call on your advice and experience. Such a lovely site. Thanks again cx

• 2 weeks later...

But seriously, coal and diesel scented girls in scruffy combats with greasy hair lugging a toilet cassette are majorly hot stuff in some areas. biggrin.png

Learn to use a spanner and you'll be able to have the pick of the men on the canal

Richard

Seriously, it's the next big thing. Canal Grunge. You heard it here first.

They're using it in the new marketing campaign for Canal No.5: The scent of the boater.

Ask Cheshire~Rose about her birthday present

clapping.gif

I wonder which other brands of fragrance would be appropriate? Diesel is the obvious one...then there's Boss (worn by Mrs. Athy of course)...the great rivetty smell of Hudson...

(O.K., I made the last one up).

• Greenie 1