Cormorants on the BCN

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I can't find anything online to suggest they are well known. When I passed on Tuesday there were two perched on top of the Pumphouse chimney. One had its wings outstretched - like a cormorant. I figured the top of the chimney was akin to a cliff top. I am going past the Pumphouse later this morning on the Wolverhampton level so I will keep a nigh out for them.

JP

Seen about 6 i reckon since leaving the city, got really close to a couple also, which is unusual as the one that is usually perched at Mancetter on the Coventry buggers off as soon as you get anywhere near it...

There are a couple up the top of the Ashby also which i see a lot.

This was taken about 5 minutes after leaving smethwick locks also so could be the same one..

Cqiu_Jqr_WYAAia0_H.jpg

Seen about 6 i reckon since leaving the city, got really close to a couple also, which is unusual as the one that is usually perched at Mancetter on the Coventry buggers off as soon as you get anywhere near it...

This was taken about 5 minutes after leaving smethwick locks also so could be the same one..

Cqiu_Jqr_WYAAia0_H.jpg

Errr, that's a heron...

Lots on the lower GU and Regent canal, Paddington basin as well.

Cqiu_Jqr_WYAAia0_H.jpg

Errr that's a heron.

Cormorant:

cormorant-12.jpg

Many years ago when I used to dinghy race at Draycote Water there was a growing colony there who had a liking for the trout. For some reason the fisher folk got upset. Perhaps it is because they hadn't paid their fees? Any way some one got a license for something and the following week the cormorants had all gone.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/c/cormorant/index.aspx

"Regarded by some as black, sinister and greedy, cormorants are supreme fishers which can bring them into conflict with anglers and they have been persecuted in the past."

Where to see them:

Found around the UK coastline on rocky shores, coastal lagoons and estuaries, it is increasingly being seen inland at reservoirs, lakes and gravel pits.

Edited by Ray T

Errr, that's a heron...

Lots on the lower GU and Regent canal, Paddington basin as well.

In the syle of Mick Dundee:-

That's not a Heron, this is a Heron :)

post-5269-0-71262100-1472195015_thumb.jpg

Many happy hours spent in a Heron as a kid.

Edited by gazza

I've seen more rats on this trip, seen a couple around Wolverhampton and one running across the path near the end of the Oozells Street loop. Seen several herons, usually do around Birmingham. I'm sure I saw a cormorant near Great Haywood earlier in the week.

Yes I think they are more common recently (cormorants, I mean). Saw one just yesterday in the pound above Curdworth bottom lock (B&F). It was standing on the towpath, as I approached it plopped head first into the water and disappeared, surfacing on the other side of the canal after the boat had passed.

They are not unusual in the UK, being plenty on the coast, but I don't think they have ventured onto the inland waterways much until recently.

Edited by nicknorman

There has been a 40% increase in Cormorants in the British Isles (excluding Ireland N & S) in the last 40 years. They are now commonly found on all forms of inland water.

In the first Atlas of Breeding Birds (1976) all breeding was recorded as coastal. In the Bird Atlas 2013 they are recorded as breeding widely inland over most of England and Wales.

Yes I think they are more common recently (cormorants, I mean). Saw one just yesterday in the pound above Curdworth bottom lock (B&F). It was standing on the towpath, as I approached it plopped head first into the water and disappeared, surfacing on the other side of the canal after the boat had passed.

They are not unusual in the UK, being plenty on the coast, but I don't think they have ventured onto the inland waterways much until recently.

Common as muck on the (Non Tidal) Thames :-)

Tim

Have seen oodles of herons & quite a few kingfishers-the latter especially around Smethwick / Oldbury.Have yet to see any cormorants locally but would be chuffed if I did.Saw loads of cormorants on the Sharpness last year -lovely birds.

Just go to Smethwick and look up at the Pumphouse chimney. They were there again today. Best view is from the train.

The kingfisher I saw on the Dudley No 2 was the first I have seen on the BCN. They are common on the W&B between Tardebigge and Wast Hill Tunnel and I am sure I will see plenty on the Stratford this weekend. They are still a great sight when the sun catches the blue feathers in flight.

I record the number of kingfisher and heron sightings I make each day - and have now added occasional voles, otters, cormorants and oystercatchers to the list. Moorhens are everywhere and the BCN seems to have plenty of coots which you don't seem to see everywhere.

Oh and in case you hadn't noticed there are 4 billion Canada Geese on the BCN.

JP

On the contrary, if anyone did fancy a Shag there was one on Rudyard Lake earlier this year.

If you are referring to the Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) that is an extremely rare sighting during the 4 years of the survey work for the BTO bird atlas there were only 25 - 30 tetrads where they were seen during the 4 years (and those mainly in winter).

Many of those were relatively close to the coast.

when moored on the Thames at Runnymead we watched a Cormorant fishing, after 3 0r 4 dives he came up with an eel which was about 18 inches long, (45cm for younger readers), it took him a good 10mins to get the eel in the right position to swallow it, 2 seconds later the eel shot back out like a javelin, this happened 3 times before the Cormorant gave up, best half hours entertainment i have had in years.