What Stove to Buy

boater123

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am about to fit my stove and am unsure of what brand to buy, I have a widebeam so want a 5.5-6.5kW stove but dont necessarily want to go for a morso or stovex because of their price. Has anyone used a cheaper alternative and been happy with it? What is the difference between cheaper models, is it how long they last?

Many thanks,

Will

First of all I am not an expert so cannot give you advice but the gaps requred as quoted around the stove to combustable material seem to be larger than quoted for a similar Morso stove that I have installed so not looking good. Hopefully others can comment?

• Greenie 1

For £100 you cant fault it on price. Just make sure you use plenty of fireboard behind, sides, below etc with a 25mm air gap and all will be well. I have a 4.5kw woodwarm fireview and that heats my 50ft trad narrowboat fine so 4kw for 40 ft should be perfect.

The Mazano like most cheap stoves are cast/made in China. If they throw out heat and only last 4 years you have got value out of them. Evergreen stoves are good quality Chinese made stoves. You will see the same stove sold under various names.

With most cheap stoves it's a case of buying one and seeing what it's like unless you can see it and open doors and see if they seal well etc.

Cheaper stoves can soot up the glass more, be not as controllable so the fire burns quicker hence less economical. The main thing you want is good airtight doors with a good stove rope seal. The slider vents aren't as good as the spinning type. At the end of the day you take your choice.

For a house for me it would be Woodwarm, Clearview, Contura, and the more expensive Charnwoods. I also like Dunsley stoves.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?
  • Greenie 1

Hi,

I am about to fit my stove and am unsure of what brand to buy, I have a widebeam so want a 5.5-6.5kW stove but dont necessarily want to go for a morso or stovex because of their price. Has anyone used a cheaper alternative and been happy with it? What is the difference between cheaper models, is it how long they last?

Many thanks,

Will

What budget have you got for the stove? Would you want one with back boiler?

Our modern Stovax at home is far, far more efficient and controllable than our Effel and Carabo on the boat which are much older. A cheaper Firefox in my workshop is also much less efficient and controllable.

The Morso wheel air adjuster is a better design than the Stovax slider.

Have a look at the efficiency data for different stoves. Collecting, cutting and drying wood is a hobby for me but hard work. Coal is expensive so it seems to make sense to burn it efficiently.

First of all I am not an expert so cannot give you advice but the gaps requred as quoted around the stove to combustable material seem to be larger than quoted for a similar Morso stove that I have installed so not looking good. Hopefully others can comment?

For £100 you cant fault it on price. Just make sure you use plenty of fireboard behind, sides, below etc with a 25mm air gap and all will be well. I have a 4.5kw woodwarm fireview and that heats my 50ft trad narrowboat fine so 4kw for 40 ft should be perfect.

Jamescheers.gif

Many thanks both of you. As long as it is safe and lasts for a winter or two whilst I get on with other work that needs doing then it will be find :)

sorry for hijacking your thread boater123!