tv aerial signal booster

kingswood

Featured Posts

fed up having picture breaking up so was thinking of a signal booster I have a log periodic aerial and would like a plug in 13amp type as my nearest 12v is 10ft away any suggestion which might be the best as there seems loads out there for sale what about a fringe variable type even though they are just 12v confused .com

Whilst aerial boosters worked well on the old analogue transmissions, I don't think they help much with the digital signal; that is either there or it isn't and aerial/dish design and position is more important.

I had a booster with my Omnimax which was almost essential for analogue signals, but when they were shut down (and the transmitted digital signals boosted) I had a load of trouble trying to watch anything and assumed it was the Omnimax just not compatible with digital signals. Then I took the booster out and fed the aerial lead straight into the TV and since then get a good picture in most places.

An amplifier will only 'boost' what is available, if nothing available it will boost nothing, if crap is available it will boost crap.

If getting break up, check what is between the aerial and the transmitter, trees, especially wet ones, will block the signal.

Hight of aerial can also have an effect but sometimes not in the way expected, have had it where by lowering the aerial it has picked up a cleaner signal. wacko.pngwacko.png

Also check all connections are clean and good.

ps. I also have a log periodic aerial but sometimes it is just impossible to get a signal, depends on location.

If you have a full size log periodic and are still getting poor reception, ensure the polarization (orientation of the aerial elements) is correct. Many remote areas relying on small RBR transmitters use vertical polarization to avoid interference from others. A quick check of local home aerials will reveal.

Hight of aerial can also have an effect but sometimes not in the way expected, have had it where by lowering the aerial it has picked up a cleaner signal.

Many years ago I had the use of a small cottage in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to fix up an aerial so I was on the roof with my ex-wife downstairs looking at the telly. As I rotated it slowly around (I had no idea where the nearest transmitter was) the wife was saying "No... No... Oh wait, er, no..." After 15 minutes of this I threw the aerial off the roof in a fit of pique. As it landed in a shrub I heard "Yes, perfect, keep it there."

So there it stayed until I left.

:)

kingswood, on 22 Aug 2016 - 8:43 PM, said:

fed up having picture breaking up so was thinking of a signal booster I have a log periodic aerial and would like a plug in 13amp type as my nearest 12v is 10ft away any suggestion which might be the best as there seems loads out there for sale what about a fringe variable type even though they are just 12v confused .com

Low voltage signal amplifiers only take a tiny amount of power - so, apart from running the cable, there's no disadvantage in a socket being 10 ft away.

IMHO the easiest way is to use the type that uses the aerial cable to carry the 12v power as well as the signal.

The actual amplifier (should be) a 'mast head' type. That's a bit cumbersome with a log periodic, so I have mine in the cabin as near to the aerial as possible.

dor, on 23 Aug 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

Whilst aerial boosters worked well on the old analogue transmissions, I don't think they help much with the digital signal; that is either there or it isn't and aerial/dish design and position is more important.

I had a booster with my Omnimax which was almost essential for analogue signals, but when they were shut down (and the transmitted digital signals boosted) I had a load of trouble trying to watch anything and assumed it was the Omnimax just not compatible with digital signals. Then I took the booster out and fed the aerial lead straight into the TV and since then get a good picture in most places.

It maters not how the ultimate signal is coded (digital or analogue) it's the strength of that overall signal that counts.

bottle, on 23 Aug 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

An amplifier will only 'boost' what is available, if nothing available it will boost nothing, if crap is available it will boost crap.

If getting break up, check what is between the aerial and the transmitter, trees, especially wet ones, will block the signal.

Hight of aerial can also have an effect but sometimes not in the way expected, have had it where by lowering the aerial it has picked up a cleaner signal. wacko.pngwacko.png

Also check all connections are clean and good.

ps. I also have a log periodic aerial but sometimes it is just impossible to get a signal, depends on location.

If the signal is marginal as the OP implies, then some sort of amplification is likely to improve matters. You may not be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - but it could make a leather wallet....

I have a log-periodic and there are few places where I can't get a reasonable signal. I suggest you check your coax cable between aerial and receiver. Use a good quality cable with as few connectors as possible. Worked for me.

eightacre, on 23 Aug 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

I have a log-periodic and there are few places where I can't get a reasonable signal. I suggest you check your coax cable between aerial and receiver. Use a good quality cable with as few connectors as possible. Worked for me.

'Best' quality satellite cable with F-plugs is far superior to old style coax cable and plugs. Probably cheaper too!

Get a portable freesat system. I've had one for the past 4 years, Get a mag mount for the roof, once the elevation is set its easy to pivot it round to point at the relevant satellite. Takes 15 seconds to set once stopped for the day. My original dish was getting a bit manky (I leave it out all year) so picked up another complete system on the Bay for £10. Came with loads of connectors sat finder & 4 different types of mount plus a huge tripod. Perfect picture every time, just don't moor with a big tree in line with the satellite.

Get a portable freesat system. I've had one for the past 4 years, Get a mag mount for the roof, once the elevation is set its easy to pivot it round to point at the relevant satellite. Takes 15 seconds to set once stopped for the day. My original dish was getting a bit manky (I leave it out all year) so picked up another complete system on the Bay for £10. Came with loads of connectors sat finder & 4 different types of mount plus a huge tripod. Perfect picture every time, just don't moor with a big tree in line with the satellite.

Agree with all this, but DO make sure you get a Freesat receiver. Many cheap ones, e.g. Aldi or Maplins, receive the Freesat signal, but also loads of other crap. They are often difficult to sort the channel order and will often list numerous versions of the same channel. You are also unlikely to get a useful 7 day channel guide. I bought an Aldi kit and the dish is fine once fitted with a magmount, but I soon replaced the receiver for one from Currys for £28 (with HD).

I don't know if this is still relevant, but a few years ago I had bad freeview reception. This was shortly after the digital switchover. Turned out that new mobile frequencies had been opened up which caused interference. I went to some freeview website and they sent me a filter to plug between aerial and receiver for free. That fixed it and I'm still using it.

we virtually gave up trying to watch tv, getting the aerial out of the locker, twisting it round and round, chucking it back in the locker, since buying the Necvox i can get a picture anywhere, a lot of the time with the aerial inside the boat, i can only speak as i find.

tried the dish option got fed up trying to get any pictures except some from india in the end I wanted to throw in in the river, but it now just sits in its box in the cupboard also tried one of those necvox types that also ended in the cupboard I might check the aerial connectors as they could be dodgy as the aerial sits on the roof when not in use I use an extended painters pole so it can go quite high above the boat also have found sometimes it works better just lying on the roof, would it make any difference that the tv is run on square wave inverter rather than pure sinewave

We got one of these, after friends had success with it, and have seldom had a problem anywhere. It usually works with the ariel flat on top of the cratch -- if we have to turn it or put the pole up a bit, that's unusual. It is 240v though.

Edited by adam1uk

For good advice, lots of info and aerials etc.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

no connection other than a satisfied customer/

Also if you have an android phone look for "UK aerial alignment" on Play Store.

It will give location/direction of transmitters, strength and whether horizontal or vertical orientation

It's firstly about location, location, location -

for satellite you have to have a clear view of Astra satellites AND the dish has to be set at the correct declination angle of 26 degrees (ish) AND the base has to be horizontal or the pole vertical - else you'll not find the satellites.

For terrestrial you have to be in an area where the signal is good and pointing at the transmitter.

FWIW I have one of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satellite-Dish-and-TV-Aerial-Pro-Signal-Meter-Finder-Fringe-Electronics-2-in-1-/390265757649?hash=item5adda6dfd1:g:tXsAAOSw34FVFrTT

It does both TV and satellite.

'tis not rocket science - just a bit of planning.....

Fringe electronics (above gizmo) do several types of aerial amplifiers and some run on 12/24V.