Remote control boats

Expo

Featured Posts

Last evening, for want of something better to do, I was browsing around in Boats for Sale on a well known boat selling web site (well ... nothing worth watching on the telly ...!) and came across a nice looking cruiser the like of which I would love to own some day. on reading the blurb, it seems the vessel is fitted with a remote control device which allows it to be steered from the bank/tow path - using bow thrusters and the throttle, and presumably some sort of remote hand-set. We used to have a caravan with a remote mover device on it to allow it to be moved around independently, but I had no idea such things were possible on a NB.

So, has anyone ever had any experiences of these things? A complete blessing or a disaster waiting to happen??? Has anyone ever used one?

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Highly accurate, fully automatic, only needs me to operate gates and paddles. Also fitted with sound system for audible warnings and help software.

N

I'd be interested to know the sideways force a bowthruster can produce, vs the sideways force when going forwards with the rudder 45deg to the left, and 45deg to the right. EVEN IF the bowthruster force was more than the rudder (which would mean directional control is possible in a wide lake - not necessarily on a narrow canal) it would adopt a severe "crab" making its effective width huge - hardly ideal for the situations where remote control is even vaguely useful (like entering locks). I suppose it would be possible to tie/lock the rudder in the straight ahead position though. But there would still be a danger of reliance on the bowthruster for steering, which might prove a surprise if/when its battery failed. Yes, I suppose its possible it was a hydraulic bowthruster though.

A more robust engineering solution would be some kind of drive for the rudder position.

Even so, I'd say that even for a singlehander, the time savings, convenience and efficiency savings are minimal compared to properly handling the boat eg during locking, mooring etc so personally I only see it as a gimmick and not a genuinely useful addition. Someone once mentioned an exceptional case of a disabled boater able to do locks much more easily - I accept there's exceptions!

I'd be interested to know the sideways force a bowthruster can produce, vs the sideways force when going forwards with the rudder 45deg to the left, and 45deg to the right. EVEN IF the bowthruster force was more than the rudder (which would mean directional control is possible in a wide lake - not necessarily on a narrow canal) it would adopt a severe "crab" making its effective width huge - hardly ideal for the situations where remote control is even vaguely useful (like entering locks). I suppose it would be possible to tie/lock the rudder in the straight ahead position though. But there would still be a danger of reliance on the bowthruster for steering, which might prove a surprise if/when its battery failed. Yes, I suppose its possible it was a hydraulic bowthruster though.

A more robust engineering solution would be some kind of drive for the rudder position.

Even so, I'd say that even for a singlehander, the time savings, convenience and efficiency savings are minimal compared to properly handling the boat eg during locking, mooring etc so personally I only see it as a gimmick and not a genuinely useful addition. Someone once mentioned an exceptional case of a disabled boater able to do locks much more easily - I accept there's exceptions!

I would agree. You really do need to be able to view your progress from the stern to check that you are lined up properly. I have often thought "She is going to cross wind that!" only to observe a perfect lock entry.

N

It's pretty simple.

Tx and rx preferred 2.4 ghz a few survos and your off.

58073DAE-BB3B-43C6-A46F-964E879D91A4_zps

Haven't got round to building a stand for it yet (it's 6 feet from keel to top of the mast)

BTW... Nice Jukebox (SoundLeisure if I'm not mistaken), I sold one very similar about a year ago.

post-9998-0-18547600-1471867347_thumb.jpg

Haven't got round to building a stand for it yet (it's 6 feet from keel to top of the mast)

BTW... Nice Jukebox (SoundLeisure if I'm not mistaken), I sold one very similar about a year ago.

Yes it is a SL jukebox well made and British.

Nice boat, that's the one I nearly got but opted for the blue one it sits on the side on the narrowboat just right.

Can you get servos which are powerful enough to drive a full size narrowboat's steering and gearchange/throttle? If so, where from (do you have a link)?

Windscreen wiper motor and gearbox for throttle/gear, 24v mobility scooter motor/gearbox for steering. There are many instructions on the internet on how to equip them with positional feedback for servo use.

Shared Hatton a few years ago with a narrowboat equipped with remote control. It had hydraulic drive which is probably easier to control remotely and a link to the base of the swan neck to give rudder control.