Cape of good hope, Warwick.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

To be honest I think the CSB was brewed for us/we Navy types. It was a keg beer,not hand pull.

Well astonishingly, after bell ringing tonight in St Marys at Collingbourne Kingston I walked into the The Barewlycorn Inn and guess what the only beer on draft was!

Yep, Courage Best. Landlady said they'd only just put it on and it was selling like mad. I had a pint and yes it took me straight back to college days drinking in the Hand and Spear at Weybridge. Yay!!!!

• Greenie 1

Each to their own. The Bluebell is good but doesn't do food apart from the odd sandwich on the bar. The Greyhound is no Gastro pub but a good beer / food compromise as is the rather small Weighbridge at Alvechurch.

Camra is into keg these days as long as it's called craft!

Each to their own. The Bluebell is good but doesn't do food apart from the odd sandwich on the bar. The Greyhound is no Gastro pub but a good beer / food compromise as is the rather small Weighbridge at Alvechurch.

Camra is into keg these days as long as it's called craft!

Craft? Draft? They aere almost identical. Only one letter difference and even the letters are adjacent in the alphabet!

IIRC Fremlins was a Faversham Brewery.

It's going back 35 or so years but I remember the 'Trophy' that they produced was a very nice beer if you could find it on handpump.

I think the head office was in Maidstone, but they did have a brewery in Faversham as well.

Don't know which one produced Trophy, but I agree, it was a very good pint.

In the pub I worked at Trophy was up against some strong competition as well - we sold Draught Bass, Sam Smith's Old Brewery bitter, Shepherd Neame IPA and a couple of others that I can't recall.

Thanks, I now will avoid the pub.

Dogs make a pub imho. And this is speaking as a non dog owner. Tried to persuade olive in the Anchor to let her dog into the bar last weekend as there was just s couple of us in there but sadly she wouldn't.

Cheers

Gareth

Dogs in pubs are the same as children, IMHO.

Sat down and quiet, no problem.

Running about and making a noise...............oh dear no!

What about cats in pubs?

I'd rather dogs...and cats...over kids any day of the week.

The red lion in Cropredy a good few years ago had a cat that was back in the pub almost before the landlord had chucked it out....was a very clever cat!!

So yes...pub cats are great too.

Cheers

Gareth

Is this the same "Cape of Good Hope"?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RP-REPRO-warwickshire-warwick-canal-pub-cape-of-good-hope-narrowboat-/182221568405?hash=item2a6d407995:g:EbwAAOSwqfNXmLZR

Edited to say I've just read the listing more thouroughly and it seems it is the same.

Edited by PaulG

Is this the same "Cape of Good Hope"?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RP-REPRO-warwickshire-warwick-canal-pub-cape-of-good-hope-narrowboat-/182221568405?hash=item2a6d407995:g:EbwAAOSwqfNXmLZR

Edited to say I've just read the listing more thouroughly and it seems it is the same.

Yes:

Ebay advert image:

s-l1600.jpg

That's a good load of coal

Richard

At sea we used to get draught CSB. Courage Special Bitter. Like directors, but able to travel well in differing and adverse temperatures.

It was reet grand. Two/three pints and then it would slap you on the back or yer 'ead and make to speak and act funny. Well it did me.

Yes. Got invited aboard HMS Beaver in Liverpool after looking after the crew when they got the 'freedom of the town' in Bolton.

Drank CSB. Still have no idea how I got home.

As an aside, HMS Beaver replaced HMS Dido as Bolton's adopted warship. Someone in Whitehall has a sense of humour.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly the previous tenants disappeared around March 2013. The owners, Steve and Emma, flew back from New Zealand and started running the pub themselves, since then it's steadily improved.

They normally have 3 regular, 3 guest beers and the food is good as well. I visit about once per month and consider it my local.

Crossing the lock going home needs more care than when arriving!!

If I remember correctly the previous tenants disappeared around March 2013. The owners, Steve and Emma, flew back from New Zealand and started running the pub themselves, since then it's steadily improved.

They normally have 3 regular, 3 guest beers and the food is good as well. I visit about once per month and consider it my local.

Crossing the lock going home needs more care than when arriving!!

Well I have just seen a posting from a Kiwi who says they do Kiwi beer and food as well so I will enquire next week if we stop there.