Cape of good hope, Warwick.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Last time that we went there they had no beer except lager. The landlord said British beer was rubbish and that we were stupid for wanting it. We haven't been back since. Maybe others have made the same problem.

What?! The man doesn't know what he is talking about! We are living in a golden age of British beer. I write as one who remembers when all you could get was Watney's Red barrel and Double Diamond (Works wonders! I think not.) There are dozens of craft ales brewed and it's not rocket science to keep then well. All you need to do is leave the coolers on and clean the pipes. (All this was confirmed by what I heard on a podcast of the Food Programme which I listened to only last week.) We are fortunate in that we have had CAMRA to look after the brewing traditions and encourage people to be more discriminating.

That sounds a bit like a rant. I suppose that it was.

N

Edited by Theo

Last time that we went there they had no beer except lager. The landlord said British beer was rubbish and that we were stupid for wanting it. We haven't been back since. Maybe others have made the same problem.

When a businessman is getting angry with and blaming his customers for wanting all the wrong products, his business is usually about to crash and burn. Or more likely is in the final stages of this process.

Well the present landlord keeps nice proper ale.....think when we went in a month or so ago there was a choice of at least three if not more ale including dark ones....it must have been pretty good cos I remember we stayed for more than one pint!....had a good crowd in as well.

Cheers

Gareth

When a businessman is getting angry with and blaming his customers for wanting all the wrong products, his business is usually about to crash and burn. Or more likely is in the final stages of this process.

That, to me, sounds more than a little likely. There is nothing like financial difficulties for putting you in a bad mood.

Had a good lunch there today. 5 or 6 real ales (I had a nice pint of 'Cape of Good Hops' from Church House Brewery). Pub busy, mainly with locals, few moored boats. Reccomend it.

That's encouraging.

We were there twice recently, once at the end of June and again at the end of July. Both times the food was decent and the beer excellent, with plenty of choice. The second time we moored right outside the pub and were by ourselves on the Cape moorings although there were others on the towpath.

This would have been a useful post, if you had mentioned when it was that you last went there.

Last time I was in The Cape, they had a good selection of real ales, pretty decent food and while the place was packed, there was plenty of space for boats on the towpath side moorings.

That was 26/27th of June this year. Has much changed since then?

It isn't what it once was perhaps, but that's 'cos it was taken over a couple(?) of years ago and maybe if it had stayed what it once was, it still wouldn't be what it once was... 'cos it would be closed! Maybe we're hearing ehcos of that? detective.gif I found it very welcoming with good food and good beer last year, which was pretty much the same as the year before and the year before that (see, I'm a regular!). It appears to have moved up market a bit and they've attracted a younger crowd, but that's probably what it needed to keep going. Still seemed to have plenty of locals and they all seemed to like the place. So do I - good pub imho.

Edited to correct 'ehcos' to 'echos', but I quite like the idea that it still reads the same, so I left it!

Edited by Sea Dog

What?! The man doesn't know what he is talking about! We are living in a golden age of British beer. I write as one who remembers when all you could get was Watney's Red barrel and Double Diamond (Works wonders! I think not.) There are dozens of craft ales brewed and it's not rocket science to keep then well. All you need to do is leave the coolers on and clean the pipes. (All this was confirmed by what I heard on a podcast of the Food Programme which I listened to only last week.) We are fortunate in that we have had CAMRA to look after the brewing traditions and encourage people to be more discriminating.

That sounds a bit like a rant. I suppose that it was.

N

You've forgotten the other stalwart ale of the time - Whitbread Tankard.

The only excellent thing about it was the spoonerism it made when the first letters of each word were transposed ☺

• Greenie 1

Well the present landlord keeps nice proper ale.....think when we went in a month or so ago there was a choice of at least three if not more ale including dark ones....it must have been pretty good cos I remember we stayed for more than one pint!....had a good crowd in as well.

Cheers

Gareth

Not been since last year and they were doing good food as well as beer then

You've forgotten the other stalwart ale of the time - Whitbread Tankard.

The only excellent thing about it was the spoonerism it made when the first letters of each word were transposed ☺

Hee hee!

Tankard was usually the local brewery's ordinary bitter, in keg form. Except for Brickwoods which was so bad not even Whitnread could sell it as keg beer.

in proper form it was better than Tollemache & Cobbold but not by much

N

Edited by BEngo

Had a good lunch there today. 5 or 6 real ales (I had a nice pint of 'Cape of Good Hops' from Church House Brewery). Pub busy, mainly with locals, few moored boats. Reccomend it.

Well this is pleasing news. I'll put it back on my list of excellent canalside pubs then!

How long ago was this?

I was last there about a year ago. A Kiwi couple were running the place. Good choice of beer and the food looked good too.

We are fortunate in that we have had CAMRA to look after the brewing traditions and encourage people to be more discriminating.

Yeah but..........

I agree with your use of the past tense. In more recent times I feel CAMRA have lost the plot

Pleased to report good ales and food available. Excellent staff and friendly locals. All good folks!

To the OP are the moorings at Cape still empty, would be surprised if they are, usually quite full.

one canaltime hire boat arrived around sixish plus a boat not long ago arrived with tunnel light on. Just as well as its dark.