Blacking

Featured Posts

I am currently at Stanilands Thorne. On a trailer for blacking is a 30 year old narrowboat, the owner built it 30 years ago and employed a novel way of underwater protection.

He applied red lead to it then a coat of home made pitch to which he stuck 2 x 1 roofing felt tiles he then covered these with 2 coats of his pitch. He pulls it out ever 7 years to replace the tiles, the boat is only 4 mm plate and when stripped it still had no pitting!! he also paints the baseplate of the boat as well, it might seem hard work but as the old gent says it works the hull is perfik

I am currently at Stanilands Thorne. On a trailer for blacking is a 30 year old narrowboat, the owner built it 30 years ago and employed a novel way of underwater protection.

He applied red lead to it then a coat of home made pitch to which he stuck 2 x 1 roofing felt tiles he then covered these with 2 coats of his pitch. He pulls it out ever 7 years to replace the tiles, the boat is only 4 mm plate and when stripped it still had no pitting!! he also paints the baseplate of the boat as well, it might seem hard work but as the old gent says it works the hull is perfik

If it works, why not? I knew one bloke who painted the underwater sections with some stuff that was used in road repairs (I should have taken more notice; the story of my life.) That appeared to be very effective too.