mystery object found in Thames with magnet

magnetman

Featured Posts

What's this item? It has a clamp a bit like an outboard motor and it would have swivelled like a rowlock.

I have to be careful as last time I posted a mystery object I got two warning points for lewdness. I still have those warning points :banghead:

This:

Another photo

post-1752-0-69048300-1471626554_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-71167400-1471626645_thumb.jpg

Looks like it might have had a roller on it at one time, perhaps for leading a warp out over it. Whatever it is it was portable. Perhaps it was a lengthsmans portable toilet roll holder.

Edited by bizzard

Looks like a clamp for those motors with a drive shaft straight off the transom of a dinghy. Can't remember what they were called, but no right angle drive, just a shaft into the water at an angle, with a prop on the end.

Clamp is not like any Seagull I have seen.

Looks like a clamp for those motors with a drive shaft straight off the transom of a dinghy. Can't remember what they were called, but no right angle drive, just a shaft into the water at an angle, with a prop on the end.

Those are usually described as "Longtail" outboards

CT

Commonly used on boats in far Eastern and south American countries driven directly by a dirty great V8 petrol engine.

What's this item? It has a clamp a bit like an outboard motor and it would have swivelled like a rowlock.

I have to be careful as last time I posted a mystery object I got two warning points for lewdness. I still have those warning points frusty.gif

This:

Another photo

Reported for lewdness.

I can do falling leaf sculling in my dinghy smile.png its a nice way to go along in a small boat but hard on the shoulder

Yes but that involves the oar not being held in a pivot point I'd imagine.

Fix it in a swivelly stern bracket and I can't imagine how any forward motive force can be generated.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

"like boilermakers rivets", or as glued onto Hudsons.

Would that be Miss Strict.

I never got glued on rivets, anyone with half an ounce of brain power should be able to tell they are nought but decoration, yet people pay good money to have them stuck on.

Scammell wheel nuts was an often used comparison but sadly no longer relevant, you only see scammells at steam rally's and vintage transport shows.

You either use a notch cut out of the transom or can use a rowlock in the centre. Single oar sculling relies on a leverage point at the stern either in the centre or to one side to counteract the weight of the person propelling it.

I think it is something like that.

That's it !! :cheers:

I never got glued on rivets, anyone with half an ounce of brain power should be able to tell they are nought but decoration, yet people pay good money to have them stuck on.

Scammell wheel nuts was an often used comparison but sadly no longer relevant, you only see scammells at steam rally's and vintage transport shows.

When I was boating up in Cheshire in the early 00s I remember a lot of houses which seemed to have black paint added to give the impression of being timber framed buildings when they were not. The fake rivet thing seems similar.

You either use a notch cut out of the transom or can use a rowlock in the centre. Single oar sculling relies on a leverage point at the stern either in the centre or to one side to counteract the weight of the person propelling it.

That's it !! :cheers:

When I was boating up in Cheshire in the early 00s I remember a lot of houses which seemed to have black paint added to give the impression of being timber framed buildings when they were not. The fake rivet thing seems similar.

Mock Tudor. Best consigned to the bin along with pebble dash and that mental tiling Jack and Vera had on their house back in the 90's

A similar thing is Popular on estate cars line Skoda Octavia Scout and big Volvo and Audi estates. The chunky 4x4 look without being a proper 4x4.