Winter Moorings Wow??

ditchy

Featured Posts

What can I say. I recognise a few of these locations and those prices for the facilities avalable nearby makes it a no brainer to continuously cruise or go into a marina. Ripp off Canal and river trust. there site quotes "We appreciate that cruising in winter can become challenging as the weather starts to bite." so what we will do, is exploit that!

But the moorings ARE cheaper than most marinas.

Some individuals may enjoy the opportunity to remain in one spot legitimately, and feel the price is worth it for the peace of mind.

The moorings are optional so I don't see how C&RT can be accused of 'ripping off' anyone.

Rog

• Greenie 1

Winter moorings are certainly set at a level which discourages people from wanting to take one up. But we all know that C&RT are here to drain as much money from boaters as they can, after all, they've got to spend loads on towpaths and wildlife..

Casp'

There seems to be a contradiction in your post. If the moorings on offer are over priced which is likely to mean not many people take them how can that drain as much money as they can.

We all like to think we can get a good deal but I suspect economic pressure are at play here. What I mean is despite the view of some that C&RT are the resident evil they are likely to be having to balance not pricing things too cheap that marinas in the area will complain about.

Having a quick look I see that on the Llangollen for example the cost of a winter mooring is aprox £225 for 4 weeks and a marina in the area offering short term moorings would cost £260 for the same period. Of course the Marina has more facilities so may be worth the extra but not everyone wants to moor in a marina. The CRT winter moorings are not cheap I'd say but not a rip off either.

• Greenie 1

What can I say. I recognise a few of these locations and those prices for the facilities avalable nearby makes it a no brainer to continuously cruise or go into a marina. Ripp off Canal and river trust. there site quotes "We appreciate that cruising in winter can become challenging as the weather starts to bite." so what we will do, is exploit that!

I don't have a problem with them 'exploiting that' if that just means making a bit of money by meeting a demand, but at first glance I can't disagree about the prices. Just looking at a couple of options in our local area, I come up with £729 for 3 months on the towpath in Skipton near a water point and elsan, vs. £556.95 for 3 months at Apperley Bridge Marina with all services including electricity.

I don't have a problem with them 'exploiting that' if that just means making a bit of money by meeting a demand, but at first glance I can't disagree about the prices. Just looking at a couple of options in our local area, I come up with £729 for 3 months on the towpath in Skipton near a water point and elsan, vs. £556.95 for 3 months at Apperley Bridge Marina with all services including electricity.

Maybe a fundamental difference is that at Apperley marina they are only 'leisure moorings' and you are not allowed to 'live-aboard'.

what I can't get my head round is the fact that it costs you, in your example, £729 just for permission from CRT to stay put, basically overstay on 48 hour moorings that aren't really enforceable as some will say, anyway.

Apperly Marina at just £43 a week is a good deal. Is there a catch I wonder?

Martyn

Eta. Thought there must be something. Or does 'blind eye' come into force.

Edited by Nightwatch

Maybe a fundamental difference is that at Apperley marina they are only 'leisure moorings' and you are not allowed to 'live-aboard'.

But the same goes for the towpath moorings in Skipton, doesn't it? I mean, presumably they're not officially 'residential' moorings with LA planning permission etc. in place, but because living aboard there for a few months doesn't count as 'living' there in the relevant sense, it doesn't matter.

It's not just winter moorings perm moorings Nr my boat on the canal is only about £500 cheaper pa than the marina.

The marina is supposed to be leisure only but I reckon 60% of the boats are lived on.

Are you referring to Apperley, or another marina 'near you' ?

I can only repeat what Apperley told me :

Live-aboard is "STRICTLY FORBIDDEN"

As I understand it, the trade body (is it the BMF?) kicked up a fuss about how CRT were using their monopoly/size advantage in offering "cheap" winter moorings which were able to undercut the marinas, if the permit-which-let-you-moor-anywhere went ahead. So, they imposed restrictions on this and set the prices so they're comparable with marinas and other moorings in the local area. So its not 100% CRTs fault. They didn't try too hard to oppose it though.

And of course.....its not just a simple case that x% increase in mooring fees --> x% increase in income. The laws of economics suggest that the higher the prices are set, the less uptake there would be. Indeed, if the price was set higher than other suppliers (marinas etc) and there was an excess of supply (plenty of available moorings), then at some price point approaching the equivalent cost of a marina, there would be a sharp decline in winter moorings uptake.

Its not as simple as that, there's regional issues ie some areas have high demand for moorings vs supply. Most don't though.