Fishing only no mooring

Fat Boat

Featured Posts

Walking back to my mooring last night and caught a new sign out of the corner of my eye

it would appear that a section of moorings have been removed, about 100 - 120 foot, and only fisherman are allowed there now

Are there any other areas with such signage, they do look official as new posts have been concreated in and logos etc

This is in Marsworth opposite the facitlies block

Fisherman have always been limited to the area between the elson bridge and the aylesbury arm, and had to be shared with the boats. This area is now fisherman only

This is also the area that only recently CRT said that there were issues with mooring spaces and proposed reducing to 48 hours but now there is so much room that they can reduce the available mooring space

We on the moorings were not told of this change, and in all fairness makes no change to our cirumstances expect that as the chains that were removed have still not been put back and some boaters were waiting on that side as there is a bollard to tie to

Steve

Twenty years ago it always was fishemen only on that first bit, so nothing new.

that's why you would never see the big carp in that area except during the close season

Edited by Loddon

It was all set out in the outcome of the Marsworth Moorings "consultation" debacle. As Loddon says, this is just back to the status prevailing some years ago. There used to be a no mooring but fishing permitted stretch from the bridge to about the junction signpost but the rest of the bank on both sides below Maffers bottom lock was a No Fishing zone, with casual and allocated mooring spaces.

All this was established yonks ago by (IIRC) Caroline Clark as the local waterway manager after much argy bargy about bait all over moored boats.

N

Hi not been able to get to CRT yet but i hardly ever get any response from them and just get pushed from pillar to post

I dont believe this was lead by the houses as they actually wanted the fishing rights moved from opposite their houses but this was declined by CRT and the local anglers group

but it does have the nice effect for them of no boats opposite so no engines or gennies,

by the way of you dont know there is a small sign on the facilities block advising to turn engines off while filling, problem is it is quite small and this is not something anyone has ever had to do before the houses so boats who are passing through the area often dont see the sign and this is leading to a little, shall we say, tension

It was all set out in the outcome of the Marsworth Moorings "consultation" debacle. As Loddon says, this is just back to the status prevailing some years ago. There used to be a no mooring but fishing permitted stretch from the bridge to about the junction signpost but the rest of the bank on both sides below Maffers bottom lock was a No Fishing zone, with casual and allocated mooring spaces.

All this was established yonks ago by (IIRC) Caroline Clark as the local waterway manager after much argy bargy about bait all over moored boats.

N

Didnt know that it was agreed in previous consultation but wasnt privy to it, dont suppose you have a link to any documents about this as i dont think anyone on the moorings knows about this, but there is a liveaboard who has been there for a very long time so might have a quick chat with him as he might remember

TBH i've been passing through this area for 15 years and never noticed no mooring signs there in the past especially with the big bollard on that side about 1/2 way down this section

Do wish that someone would do something about the fishing between boats in the allocated mooring sections, nearly every night we have a couple, local fishing warden says it is nothing to do with him and CRT will not do anything and it is quite annoying finding rods resting on your front and rear fenders, or our personall favorite fishing right infront of the no fishing signs

Its the only place to wait to use the service block as there is only room for one boat at a time by the services otherwise boats end up in front of the houses. So i guess it means no mooring but you can wait your turn.

post-481-0-78352000-1471611266_thumb.jpg

The area referred to is on the left. I am moored as far forward as possible to the bridge and at 58foot am still in front of the houses which in this section have the bedrooms downstairs.

There has been complaints from residents about boats being moored in front of houses on the service side. Personally i have no sympathy as the situation was plain to see as they prepared to buy a house.

Edited by valrene9600

Its the only place to wait to use the service block as there is only room for one boat at a time by the services otherwise boats end up in front of the houses. So i guess it means no mooring but you can wait your turn.

attachicon.gifDSCF1556.JPG

The area referred to is on the left. I am moored as far forward as possible to the bridge and at 58foot am still in front of the houses which in this section have the bedrooms downstairs.

There has been complaints from residents about boats being moored in front of houses on the service side. Personally i have no sympathy as the situation was plain to see as they prepared to buy a house.

Boats are allowed to wait on the house side all the way up to the old BW building on the corner, that is not disputed with the houses or the plans or CRT, but they do want engines off while your there hence the new sign CRT put up which i think is fair enough

Adrian Hugall Johnson (sic?) of CRT authorised the old chains to be cut out as he didnt apprently know what they were for and agreed some months ago that they would be put back, i believe it was in towpath talk as well, it still hasnt been done and he certainly will not respond to emails

We saw a couple of places on the Trent and Mersey (I think) last year, where there was C&RT signage stating "No mooring - Fishing only", but they did seem to have special platforms for wheelchairs, and therw was some reference to disabled anglers on one of te signs.

Twenty years ago it always was fishemen only on that first bit, so nothing new.

that's why you would never see the big carp in that area except during the close season

I'd forgotten about that. I stand corrected & apologies for any offence taken as a result of my post.

Walking back to my mooring last night and caught a new sign out of the corner of my eye

it would appear that a section of moorings have been removed, about 100 - 120 foot, and only fisherman are allowed there now

Are there any other areas with such signage, they do look official as new posts have been concreated in and logos etc

Fisherman have always been limited to the area between the elson bridge and the aylesbury arm, and had to be shared with the boats. This area is now fisherman only

This is also the area that only recently CRT said that there were issues with mooring spaces and proposed reducing to 48 hours but now there is so much room that they can reduce the available mooring space

We on the moorings were not told of this change, and in all fairness makes no change to our cirumstances expect that as the chains that were removed have still not been put back and some boaters were waiting on that side as there is a bollard to tie to

Steve

Grait thats my mooring area in maffers stuffed

Probably as a result of the new residents in the "industrial" new homes that have been thrown up on the old BW Yard.

Can't have the little darlings in their megabucks houses having their view "spoilt" by oiks on boats can we?

1250738062.CR-DrDeisel-TheHat.gif

I dis agree they loved it when we stopped there spoke to nearly every home owner who waved and said hello even when we stopped some one cane out to talk to use about her

Hi not been able to get to CRT yet but i hardly ever get any response from them and just get pushed from pillar to post

I dont believe this was lead by the houses as they actually wanted the fishing rights moved from opposite their houses but this was declined by CRT and the local anglers group

but it does have the nice effect for them of no boats opposite so no engines or gennies,

by the way of you dont know there is a small sign on the facilities block advising to turn engines off while filling, problem is it is quite small and this is not something anyone has ever had to do before the houses so boats who are passing through the area often dont see the sign and this is leading to a little, shall we say, tension

Ask a owner of a seffle, gardner or bolinder to do this and see there responce. Takes longer to start up than to fill up.

Allthough if you ver want to have a good giggle stand on the bridge and look at the houses threw the top. Now wait for someone to have a shower or go to the loo! Haha some have put blinds up but those without well all i can say is have fun!

Im more anoyed they have shut the road next to them it was really handy for us locals to drive threw that way i always used it

Didnt know that it was agreed in previous consultation but wasnt privy to it, dont suppose you have a link to any documents about this as i dont think anyone on the moorings knows about this, but there is a liveaboard who has been there for a very long time so might have a quick chat with him as he might remember

TBH i've been passing through this area for 15 years and never noticed no mooring signs there in the past especially with the big bollard on that side about 1/2 way down this section

Do wish that someone would do something about the fishing between boats in the allocated mooring sections, nearly every night we have a couple, local fishing warden says it is nothing to do with him and CRT will not do anything and it is quite annoying finding rods resting on your front and rear fenders, or our personall favorite fishing right infront of the no fishing signs

Tring Anglers http://tringanglers.org.uk/ are responsible for that section, you need a permit from them to fish so it is down to them to enforce no fishing areas or did you mean CRT warden?

At local user group meetings they were always very helpful in resolving problems, but it works both ways.

The length from the bridge was certainly still no mooring 14 years ago, good luck with trying to find any documents the rule change if done whilst CC was waterway manager would be about 25 years ago, consultation you are avin a larf:) :)

Edited by Loddon

• 1 month later...

Steve

I was visiting some friends who were moored there last weekend and the signs have gone (but the posts are still there!)

Has anybody asked CRT what the situation is and why? It might avoid a lot of speculation.

Of course not, it's much easier to get outraged on an Internet Forum than actually find out facts behind things :P

What BEngo says is spot on.

This is a historic arrangement, and in this case absolutely nothing to do with the new development.

Despite what others have said, I only came back to boat ownership in the area around 12 years ago, and I can remember there being at least one sign there, although I couldn't say for certain about what date it disappeared. It is correct it has not been there in recent years.

If new signage has now appeared now, it only reflects this historic agreement, and is not a new thing at all.

The cut mooring chains at the facilities block is a quite different matter. These were removed at the request of the name already mentioned, who is a BW property man. The local waterways manager, Vicky Martin, objected strongly, and undertook they would be reinstated. She is very unhappy they have not been, and the topic is regularly raised at meetings I attend. I know she continues to try to get this corrected, and I'm sure ultimately she will succeed. You would think it would be easy, but the current organisation structure of CRT seems to say otherwise.

The cut mooring chains at the facilities block is a quite different matter. These were removed at the request of the name already mentioned, who is a BW property man. The local waterways manager, Vicky Martin, objected strongly, and undertook they would be reinstated. She is very unhappy they have not been, and the topic is regularly raised at meetings I attend. I know she continues to try to get this corrected, and I'm sure ultimately she will succeed. You would think it would be easy, but the current organisation structure of CRT seems to say otherwise.

Glad that this situation is still being pushed Alan, please keep us updated or let us know if we can help in anyway

As Alan says it has been fishing only there for many years, although this was only brought to CRTs attention again at the time of the SE Consultation. It says much of the reduced power of the Waterways Manager that they have appear to have no authority or ability to restore the ability to moor to queue to use these popular services despite promising that this would be done.

This is a historic arrangement, and in this case absolutely nothing to do with the new development.

Are Derek Pratt's photos from 1974 (sold by BW as a postcard and poster, and in Avril Lansdell's "Clothes of the Cut") evidence of us being illegally moored? rolleyes.gif

post-6882-0-82970200-1475680811_thumb.jpg

Are Derek Pratt's photos from 1974 (sold by BW as a postcard and poster, and in Avril Lansdell's "Clothes of the Cut") evidence of us being illegally moored? rolleyes.gif

attachicon.gifBULBOURNE-YARD.red.jpg

Yes, wrong yard!

It is opposite Marsworth that is being discussed, not Bulbourne.

Derek Pratt's photos were indeed opposite Bulbourne Yard (as it then was)

Probably as a result of the new residents in the "industrial" new homes that have been thrown up on the old BW Yard.

I took it from BargeeSpud that it involved that area of towpath.

Apologies