Lockmaster windlass

Opener

Featured Posts

Have you got a Lockmaster windlass? Just pop and have a quick look at it. My locklabourer/wife has had one for a while but it has only been used in anger this season.

At the top of Barrowford locks (L&L), after a windy and wet transit (with the assistance of two CRT guys), she handed me a threaded shaft with a chromed dome on the end which had come off the Lockmaster. Looking at the instruction sheet it turned out to be the 'change over switch' or what was left of it - supposed to be a bolt with a chromed dome head on both ends. We didn't give much for our chances of finding a 1cm nut anywhere over 7 locks/half a mile so I started looking for a replacement/locking nut or contemplated Locktite.

We were a bit surprised when, coming back down the locks later in the week, in persistent rain, when Michael, the CRT lockie, handed my wife the missing nut. One advantage of flying a memorable flag!

The moral: always check that your nuts are tight!