Found tortoise on Towpath in Rugby

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

The RSPCA has it now. I know it is tame because it was amenable to being picked up without hiding or biting.

None of the boats moored nearby owned it, and behind the towpath is a large swathe of fields before you get to any houses.

I reckon someone in one of the houses let it into the garden as the weather is nice, without realising that they climb and walk a lot!

im fairly certain one went missing when we were down that way, maybe 18-22 months ago. There was a threat on here otherwise. Wouldn't have heard about it.

A tortoise goes into a a police station and squeals "officer, I've just been attacked by a gang of snails!".

The policeman says "calm down, just tell me exactly what happened".

The tortoise says "it's hard to say, it all happened so fast!"

In a former existence I was a pool lifeguard. One quiet afternoon we had just two customers in, both very elderly gents doing very leisurely backstroke lengths down the middle of the pool. Almost as if by magnetic attraction in all that space, they crashed into one another despite my shouted warnings (although I knew this was in vain because, of course, their ears were in the water). Then one uttered the memorable line, "He came out of nowhere!".

• Greenie 1

We now have a resident terrapin in the basin at Stourport, just sits there all day doing nowt. In good company with us boaters then. Funny you should say about tortoises being able to move a bit quickly because, last year we were at Tyrley top lock and there was a sign attached to a post saying someone had lost a tortoise and I thought " how the hell can you lose a tortoise, the speed they travel at" well it now appears you can. Instead of chipping wouldn't it be easier to paint your name a mob no on it's back ?

We now have a resident terrapin in the basin at Stourport, just sits there all day doing nowt. In good company with us boaters then. Funny you should say about tortoises being able to move a bit quickly because, last year we were at Tyrley top lock and there was a sign attached to a post saying someone had lost a tortoise and I thought " how the hell can you lose a tortoise, the speed they travel at" well it now appears you can. Instead of chipping wouldn't it be easier to paint your name a mob no on it's back ?

Lots of people had tortoises in the 1950's. Many had a house number painted on them. A couple down our road even had holes drilled in the shells threaded with some string so that they could be tethered.

That looks like a horsfields tortoise.

Try feeding him dandelion leaves. He will also like sweetcorn and strawberries

And Fingers, ankles and toes.

Tortoises are worse than rampaging pensioners at a jumble sale (i still have flashbacks of the horror)

. A couple down our road even had holes drilled in the shells threaded with some string so that they could be tethered.

Ours was like that when we got him, but he still use to break 7/.029 copper wire, attached to the other end of the wire was an old flat iron which he would drag about the garden with no problem.

Walking in the Turkish hills I came across a procession of tortoises. The little ones were in the front, followed by the bigger (older?) generations.

The ones at the back seemed in no hurry to force the pace. Reminded me of a procession of elephants, all looking out for one another.

• Greenie 1