Is this ok

MissMax

Featured Posts

This boat http://www.boatshed.com/narrowboat_36ft-boat-220040.html

It's cheap and it looks pretty. Waiting for an appointment and for them to have a survey person.

As long as it doesn't need a new bottom and the bits work, is that ok

Looooks so pretty (and it's cheap)

What type of offer are you supposed to make (don't want to be rude) looks the asking price so i am not sure

Edited by MissMax

A feature of Boat Shed adverts is that you can't see the whole advert unless you register with them. So we can't tell, for example, who the builder was, and we can't see any interior photos.

Personally I would be chary of putting my faith in a single-cylinder engine; I feel (perhaps naively) that if you have two or more cylinders, if one goes wrong then the other one will keep going and could avoid an accident. That said, Bukh have a good reputation as far as I'm aware. (Oh, and they sound nice!)

Edited by Athy

If those chalk marks on the Hull are what I think they are (the hull thickness measurements from the last survey) then turn around and walk away.

With an almost 40 year old boat and hull readings of 3mm you will not get fully comprehensive insurance.

You will get 3rd party only which is sufficient to licence it, but, do you want all your life-long possessions to be uninsured ?

If those are the markings from 6 years ago it is a fair bet that

1) The thickness of the hull has not improved

2) It now looks nothing like the 6 year old pictures

A feature of Boat Shed adverts is that you can't see the whole advert unless you register with them. So we can't tell, for example, who the builder was, and we can't see any interior photos.

Personally I would be chary of putting my faith in a single-cylinder engine; I feel (perhaps naively) that if you have two or more cylinders, if one goes wrong then the other one will keep going and could avoid an accident. That said, Bukh have a good reputation as far as I'm aware.

Click on the picture to see loads more

• Greenie 1

Click on the picture to see loads more

No, a number of very small pictures are displayed but if I click on one, a box appears asking me to register with them. This usually happens with Boat Shed.

I see that the builder IS named - Bailey Bros., whom I've heard of but only vaguely.

The YT thingy reveals a quite pleasant and tidy interior. I don't know if those two rear bunks convert into a double bed - if not, they're probably only 2' wide; if you are slim, that's fine, otherwise you may find them too narrow for comfort.

Don't make any offer until you have viewed the boat.

What type of offer are you supposed to make (don't want to be rude) looks the asking price so i am not sure

Offer only what it is worth to you.

The 3.06 mark means that it has been surveyed recently - you can draw from that what you want BUT 3.06 is probably OK for this boat since it was maybe only 4 to start with esp. if it refers to the side.

If you want it to live on then I would have thought it was too small and has no permanent bed. If you want it for holidays / part time living then maybe it is fine.

Edited by Tiggs

Thank you for looking smile.png

0PTRw8v.jpg

Since it has two sets of setting areas i could convert the benches by the door to a bed (when i get round to it)

I've been sleeping on a sofa for 11 years as my snakes took up my bedroom space in the flat, so i have been sleeping in one room.

If it is ok i may buy or at least put a deposit subject to survey and a knock on the price. Need to find a driver as the train or bus to the place

looks blooming impossible sad.png I'll post a add in the forum or look for a man/woman and van advert on the net.

(Fingers crossed i can buy a member to come with me)

PS

I would also convert the front close image left bench to a desk or table to work at.

Edited by MissMax

Ad states it was overplated 6 years ago...

Me, i would have a look, no harm, but i would want to get some cash off i think, how much depends on when you view.

The engine puts me off a little though.

I think the only potential issue is the hull, can you afford to pay for a full survey out the water and lose the money if it picks up any issues with the hull??

Also, the stove is very close to the wood trim, as per the documents i have been reading to fit my stove, that should fail a safety cert?

• Greenie 1

I wonder when the video was taken? There have been a few instances on here of folk looking at boats and finding that the photos are years old and the boat no longer looks like that

Haggis

The lead vocalist (whoops, I mean commentator, I just got back from a festival!) is the same one used on other recent Boat Shed videos. It's his deeply unenthusiastic voice which gives him away.

A semi chined hull, ("V" shaped) Replated to surveyors specification in 2010. Blacked 2013.

Due a blacking and with that hull shape, there is usually a premium in cost and not all yards/marinas can do it.

• Greenie 1

Thank you everyone. The boat is a no go with regards to it being a viable purchase (and it was so pretty :( )

I swear you lot are out to jinx my purchases with all your common sense and pointing out flaws. Heck knows why you lot have to be so sensible :(

I did find another boat which is closer and cheaper (and cuter) so i can just get a bus to it and not a full on expedition with Sherpas and elephants :)

If all goes well and i can grab/bribe/kidnapp a friendly soul who is local to come with me, i should be a 'Salty Sea dog' next week

It's a pretty blue boat and it has a stove in it (once it's connected). Did i mention it was pretty and bluecloud9.gif

I should take the elephant anyway in case the Sherpa breaks down. You know how unreliable those British Leyland vans are.

As well as its comeliness and blueness, does this wee boat boast an internet presence?

It's a pretty blue boat and it has a stove in it (once it's connected). Did i mention it was pretty and bluecloud9.gif

I am not sure you are approaching boat buying with your head rather than your heart :-) . While a pretty boat might look nice, you are going to live on it so you want to be a bit more practical! Like, how good is the hull? What sort of heating does it have? Is it watertight? does it have the "things" you will probably need to live on it? Does the engine work? has the boat been maintained?

Just a thought :-) haggis

If i post it you lot will blooming well 'Pooh Pooh' my hopes and dreams sad.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252499883032?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The hull looks ok and the inside is fiddleable (that's a word) blush.png. I can lose the cooker and install one of those work top hob thingys and stick a fridge in it's place. The bathroom i can install a shower, sink loo (loo can sit in shower)

and the sitty downy place can have one of those pop out beds or something. If i need more space i can excavate the bottom and have a downstairs bit.

Will see next week. The owner gave me a good talk about the boat and what he has done.

Did i mention it's BLUE

Edited by MissMax

The hull looks ok and the inside is fiddleable (that's a word)

Er, yes, but should it have the first "E"? Perhaps "manipulable" would be an alternative.

Could be a winner, Max. I "did up" a 26-foot Springer a couple of years ago, it was robustly constructed and it made great use of space. This is its big brother model, of which many were built. So it's got four more feet of Lebensraum. The engine is a recognised breed for which parts should easily be available, and should provide at least ample power for a craft that size.

It appears to have had a new roof at some point - that's not the standard Springer superstructure shape. This could be because the original was wooden, in which case the new roof is a Good Thing. Do ask them about it.

I note that there is already one bid, so be prepared to pay a lot more than that alluring advertised price.

By the way,what colour is the boat?

• Greenie 1

Er, yes, but should it have the first "E"? Perhaps "manipulable" would be an alternative.

Could be a winner, Max. I "did up" a 26-foot Springer a couple of years ago, it was robustly constructed and it made great use of space. This is its big brother model, of which many were built. So it's got four more feet of Lebensraum. The engine is a recognised breed for which parts should easily be available, and should provide at least ample power for a craft that size.

It appears to have had a new roof at some point - that's not the standard Springer superstructure shape. This could be because the original was wooden, in which case the new roof is a Good Thing. Do ask them about it.

I note that there is already one bid, so be prepared to pay a lot more than that alluring advertised price.

By the way,what colour is the boat?

That's my bid blush.png

The owner emailed me to call him as i had opened a new ebay account, he talked me through what he had done to the boat.

Can you taste the 'Blueness' icecream.gif

Don't forget the price for a repaint if you want a blue boat, but apart from the colour it could be just the boat for you.

I don't know anything about paint prices but I'm sure someone on the forum can give you a rough idea how much it will cost you to get it painted in blue wink.png

Peter. .

Don't forget the price for a repaint if you want a blue boat, but apart from the colour it could be just the boat for you.

I don't know anything about paint prices but I'm sure someone on the forum can give you a rough idea how much it will cost you to get it painted in blue wink.png

Peter. .

You cheeky young scamp laugh.png

If i post it you lot will blooming well 'Pooh Pooh' my hopes and dreams sad.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252499883032?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The hull looks ok and the inside is fiddleable (that's a word) blush.png. I can lose the cooker and install one of those work top hob thingys and stick a fridge in it's place. The bathroom i can install a shower, sink loo (loo can sit in shower)

and the sitty downy place can have one of those pop out beds or something. If i need more space i can excavate the bottom and have a downstairs bit.

Will see next week. The owner gave me a good talk about the boat and what he has done.

Did i mention it's BLUE

If you're planning to be aboard in the Winter with this boat, then do yourself a big favour & don't bother finishing fitting the pot bellied stove, get something decent like the excellent Boatman from Eddy at Northern Fabrications.

My OH's first boat was a 30' Springer (lovely boat) that had a pot bellied stove fitted. It was wildly uncontrollable & she found it impossible to keep in during the day while she was out. First Winter was pretty miserable...

Replaced that with a boatman & the difference in comfort was beyond belief...

Stick the pot belly on eBay / Gumtree to recoup some of the costs (it's amazing how popular pot bellies are for greenhouses!).