Rochdale or Huddersfield canal.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Thank you.

I don't think there's been any info on here for a few weeks.

I did see one post stating what you have just written.

It's the summit that I'm looking forward to. Going to buy Mrs Nightwatch a big box of weetabix in preparation for all the locks.

Martyn

The Rochdale, if it's open by then, would be my preferred choice but only because I've done the Standedge tunnel several times now and it eventually becomes a bit of chore.. The Rochdale locks are no worse than anywhere else around these parts and easier than some on the Calder Navigation.

If it's not open the Huddersfield is just as splendid and you get to do the tunnel (everyone should do it at least once) - check your boat's dimensions before going up. I'm at Brighouse festival this weekend so I will see if the CRT boys or the locals have any reliable information that can shared.

Edited by Midnight

The landslip has yet to be cleared, but, talking to a CRT man, they are starting it in September, not sure how long it will take. A workboat went past me this week, on it's way down to the landslip, 2 on the push tug, 2 or 3 in a van working the locks for them - suitable banter was had, I often do it all single handed. Oh!...and there's wolves, especially around the little dock at Bent House.

Latest from CRT here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-regions/manchester-and-pennine-waterways/flooding-updates-in-your-area/richard-spencer-flooding-blog

Current plan is for the Rochdale to be open by the end of September.

But Elland Bridge is expected to close from around November for the bridge to be rebuilt.

Thank you.

I'm not the best tunnel boater. I just get disoriented and uncomfortable. I will do any tunnel,but prefer to avoid as long as possible.

(also,can't get the chimney off)

The Standedge is a completely different experience to other tunnels around the system. For a start it's very low especially if the water level is high. It's mostly a rock tunnel with no rubbing boards so you wear a safety helmet and full waterproofs and you get a CRT chaperone to guide you through. You steer on bended leg and duck under the beams in the lower sections and there's dog-leg to negotiate in the middle at tick-over speed. To be honest, after an hour or so, some may find it a little bit claustrophobic. I find it a bit of a chore after several passages but use it as a convenience when necessary. Having said that, it is beyond a shadow of doubt an amazing experience.

If the Rochdale closure runs past the end of September and you wish to cross the Pennines you have only the Huddersfield as an option... ... or the Leeds Liverpool - now you're talking!

PS Jim Riley is correct there are wolves around the Rochdale summit - big ones who thrive on a diet of southern jessies!

I love the HNC it is my favourite canal. I would go HNC every time but if you are not a tunnel lover as stated earlier then The Rochdale is the one for you. Just bear in mind that Rose of Lancaster to Manchester needs doing in a single run and its quite a long ( but enjoyable) day.

Rochdale itself is I think the most unpleasant stretch of canal I have ever traveled as far as rubbish etc is concerned. The locals all seem friendly though, even some of the more dubious ones hanging around at locks.

Just bear in mind that Rose of Lancaster to Manchester needs doing in a single run and its quite a long ( but enjoyable) day.

OK, I can't let than one go without offering an opposing view! The day we spent going the other way, out of Manchester, was undoubtedly the least pleasant day's boating we've ever done. Several very low pounds, all sorts of junk/obstructions in the water (shopping trolleys, a big plastic road barrier etc.), constantly having to stop and clear carrier bags etc. off the prop... all in all a bit of a slog.

Rochdale itself is I think the most unpleasant stretch of canal I have ever traveled as far as rubbish etc is concerned.

Strange; in our experience Manchester was much the same (and there was a lot more of it!)

BUT, to the OP: I wouldn't let these urban stretches put you off doing a canal that largely consists of beautiful countryside and pleasant towns and villages.

I love the HNC it is my favourite canal. I would go HNC every time but if you are not a tunnel lover as stated earlier then The Rochdale is the one for you. Just bear in mind that Rose of Lancaster to Manchester needs doing in a single run and its quite a long ( but enjoyable) day.

Rochdale itself is I think the most unpleasant stretch of canal I have ever traveled as far as rubbish etc is concerned. The locals all seem friendly though, even some of the more dubious ones hanging around at locks.

Those very fine fellows are the morning drinking club, always friendly, willing to open a gate or two, share a glass (OK no glass) and they even take their empties home afterwards, Truly the best that Rochdale can offer - the rest is pretty much sh*t.

• Greenie 1

I've moored just below Lock 1 of the Rochdale for the last 11 years, and went over into Manchester for the first and last time last year. I came over the HNC for the twelfth time recently, and enjoyed it even more than usual. The (volunteer) 'pilot' in Standedge had a powerful LED spotlight which he put on my roof and which showed me far more of the tunnel than I've ever seen before. However I believe the last passage this year is early November, so you'd have to check.