Alvecote Historic Boat Event - 27th to 29th August.

Featured Posts

On the opposite bank.

Well I am completely mystified, as I walked again down to the marina entrance, and there was nowt opposite on the towpath side.

Or is it in that basin through the bridge opposite the marina entrance? I've not been around to the other side, or out on a parading boat, so far.

Had a good day, found this group:

Lovely to see a boat low in the water:

Weather got in the way a bit, but I suppose it is "atmospheric" if nothing else!

Effingham "With two F's" smile.png

Sorry but I preferred this to the loud speakers - must be getting old!

Edited by Ray T

Very welcome!

We are on Flamingo, if you want to say hello!

Aha! We spoke to you at length yesterday around midday! You were explaining the photographs to us. I had a hat with a feather in (not very distinctive I suppose) and my wife was wearing a red top and black skirt. We were discussing the new builds in Leighton Buzzard wth you :)

Had a good day at Alvecote with Mrs Hound and her sister. Couldn't stay too long as we had left Zeus, the slavering beast, at home (he still isn't sociable enough with other dogs to take to an event like this).

Met Cheshire-Rose, her husband and Cloggy.

Think I saw Athy & Mrs Athy, on camping chairs, opposite the winding hole, but never made it across the cut to establish if indeed it was he.

Managed to buy a 1970's BW guide to the northern Grand Union and associated canals, just like the one I used on my first canal holiday.

Very welcome!

We are on Flamingo, if you want to say hello!

I did pass you a few times, but you seemed to be deep in conversion and it seemed rude to interrupt. A very enjoyable day though, and lots of useful pictures of running gear etc. "Dane" particularly, what a stunning piece of workmanship she is.

There was gin. Also some nice historic boats. But mostly there was gin smile.pngcheers.gifboat.gif

Charmimg!

If the gin is so important to you, you don't need to lose time by coming aboard any historic boats next time.......

........ although the gin was rather special wasn't it? (laugh.png)

Charmimg!

If the gin is so important to you, you don't need to lose time by coming aboard any historic boats next time.......

........ although the gin was rather special wasn't it? (laugh.png)

If its any consolidation I enjoyed chatting and putting the world to rights

Plus of course being the designated driver I was the responaable monkey and had to carry the drunken BSP home

If its any consolidation I enjoyed chatting and putting the world to rights

Plus of course being the designated driver I was the responaable monkey and had to carry the drunken BSP home

We had home made biscuits at Pelsall

Richard

I stopped at this on Monday afternoon, didnt know it was on and was on my to Atherstone, did have a quick look at the boats and spotted Alan polishing his boat but he had gone inside when we got near it, that low down boat was cool, couldn't really hang around though as had to get mrs back.

Think i passed Trojan and Athy also afterwards, Athy were you wearing a bright coloured t=shirt and chatting to a fella polishing his very already shiny new boat about three locks up the Atherstone flight?

At the end?She's paired with Ipswich which was the other side. A shame really it would have been nice to see her stern on too.

Ipswich is moored in the marina and is lived aboard by a couple who have done l the restoration work. The reason that it was not on show was that they. Have cats and it was felt that it would be a little 'unwise' to bring them over :) Gorse is currently undergoing equally painstaking work, just having returned from Graham at Stockton (it is the front 34' btw)

• 2 weeks later...

Think I saw Athy & Mrs Athy, on camping chairs, opposite the winding hole, but never made it across the cut to establish if indeed it was he.

Yes, that was us (that were us?) camping it up on what we call our "Cropredy Chairs", getting a splendid view of the boat-turning action.

Think i passed Trojan and Athy also afterwards, Athy were you wearing a bright coloured t=shirt and chatting to a fella polishing his very already shiny new boat about three locks up the Atherstone flight?

Yes indeedy. The chap had a burnished Hudson which he reckoned was the most expensive boat that Steve ever built, though I am not sure how he knew this. He was recounting in some detail a Frank Exchange Of Views which he'd had at Alvecote with the crews of Marquis and A.N. Other historic boat.

I'll concur with most of the earlier posts: this was a most enjoyable event, full marks to Malcolm Burge & co. who organised it and to all who brought their venerable boats along. The star of the show, for me, was wooden working boat Dane, just back in the water after a long and painstaking rebuild, full marks to Ady and all the others who carried out this restoration.

I have documentary proof that we were there, as Trojan appears in the second of Tim Lewis' excellent photos (purple thing just to left of tree). I too was pleased to meet some CWFers, some for the first time, but I'm sorry that I didn't meet others who were apparently there.

Edited by Athy

• 3 months later...