Alvecote Historic Boat Event - 27th to 29th August.

Featured Posts

This excellent event will be taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend as usual.

Unfortunately it is looking pretty unlikely we can take a boat there, (about which we arequite gutted!), but we may well still attend by car and hotel.

I wonder who else plans to be there?

One thing is that the IWA Festival of Water at P:elsall is the same weekend, and I know some forum members will be there instead, so maybe CWDF turnout for Alvecote will not be high?

For those who like looking at historic boats, Alvecote is in my view the best event of the year. It may not attract the same numbers as Braunston, (thoiugh it has run it close some years), but to my mind the arrangements at Alvecote, (particular for beer and food!) are so much better.

We are one of the CWDF members who unfortunately will not be there as we are gong to Pelsall.

We've always enjoyed Alvecote but had to put our business heads on this year.

We had a good think about it but the opportunities to take the business to Pelsall and meet more people to spread the word means that this year we will be there.

If you're going to Alvecote by car, then it's not that far to Pelsall, about 1/2 hour up the A5, so maybe you could do both over the weekend, especially as Monday at Alvecote tends to be boats starting to make their way home.

Just a thought.

Sue

We intend to be there, even though our boat is not historic (apart from the engine!) We enjoyed it greatly the last 2 years - and this year, for the first time, we shall be able to take in both the Alvecote and Shackerstone events as they take place on successive weekends. Previously, Mrs. Athy's work commitments have precluded our doing so.

Mr.Cloud, I would guess about 30 "historic" boats of which the majority take part in the processions but a few just stay put on their moorings for the weekend.

Yes I would say up to 40 "historics" normally at this event, but it may have on occasions gone above that.

(At the Alvecote event the answer does rather depend upon what you count, as there are a few un-restored or incomplete ones around there at various places.)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an approximate timetable for Sunday? I have friends coming down who have to return by mid afternoon.

The program says.......

09:00-11:00 Boaters' Breakfast

10:00-17:00 Craft Market Stalls

12:00 Ale Festival & Floating Gin Palace Opens

(I suspect the Floating Gin Palace may be aboard narrow boat "Lapwing", but I'm not sure)

14:00 Historic Boat Parade

15:00 Barlow's BBQ Opens

18:00-20:00 Chef's Special Sunday Roast

20:30 Clarksville Mountain Band (A versatile 10 piece with a truly unique sound)

I've not counted, but most of the usual pontoons and other spaces are now filled by historic boats, so I suspect turn-out is broadly similar to previous years. I also suspect there may be a few more still to arrive.

Having just walked the length with my notebook, I now think there are currently a few less in than peak years, (so far - some do turn up "during"), but I got to 41 (correction, now 44), and may have missed some....

Here's my list, but additions and corrections are appreciated....

EDITED TO ADD A FEW MORE:

Acacia

Aldgate

Auriga

Australia

Badger

Beatty

Birmingham

Brighton

Cassiopeia

Chertsey

Clover

Dane

Effingham

Elizabeth

Emu

Ethel

Flamingo

Gerald

Gilbert

Gorse

Hadley

Hare

Jaguar

Kangaroo

Lapwing

Lindsay

Lynx

Marquis

Minnow

Northolt

Nuneaton

Olive

Otter

Owl

Star

Starling

Success

Sweden

Swift

Telford

Tench

Thea

The North

Whitby

Edited by alan_fincher

The program says.......

09:00-11:00 Boaters' Breakfast

10:00-17:00 Craft Market Stalls

12:00 Ale Festival & Floating Gin Palace Opens

(I suspect the Floating Gin Palace may be aboard narrow boat "Lapwing", but I'm not sure)

14:00 Historic Boat Parade

15:00 Barlow's BBQ Opens

18:00-20:00 Chef's Special Sunday Roast

20:30 Clarksville Mountain Band (A versatile 10 piece with a truly unique sound)I've not counted, but most of the usual pontoons and other spaces are now filled by historic boats, so I suspect turn-out is broadly similar to previous years. I also suspect there may be a few more still to arrive.

Thanks Alan, much appreciated.

At the end?

She's paired with Ipswich which was the other side. A shame really it would have been nice to see her stern on too.

Yes, I think its at the far end, but its raining now!

Where is the Ipswich then?

Visiting by car on Sunday. As I'm about to start fitting out a horse boat (Bride) I hope to pick brains and take lots of photos. Am I likely to be welcome?

Very welcome!

We are on Flamingo, if you want to say hello!

We had a lovely time. As ever an excellent event with well turned out boats and a much more relaxed atmosphere compared to other similar events.

Certainly of the bigger events, this one is our consistent favourite. There are some much smaller ones we also like, but this is surely best for seeing maximum number of "historics" without having to guess what the one moored abreast 4 boats away from the towpath actually is! Great atmosphere yesterday, and we got involved in an impromptu music session, lined up down the side of Elizabeth, which added to our fun, but seemed to leave some passers by slightly confused!