How Many Saltley Butties ???????

GUCCC150

Featured Posts

I don't know if any of you can tell me how many Saltley Butties still remain as Butties????? as My Grimsby is a Saltley made in 1910 the later ones were Braithwaite and Kirk from West Brom and even later were Yarwoods of Northwich

I don't know if any of you can tell me how many Saltley Butties still remain as Butties????? as My Grimsby is a Saltley made in 1910 the later ones were Braithwaite and Kirk from West Brom and even later were Yarwoods of Northwich

Hi Viv,

Well quite a few. I can think of Australia, Fazeley, Gosport, Ipswich, Keswick, Longton, Northolt and Upwood (Kerry).

There are probably others. Narrowboat magazine is doing a two parter on FMC and lists surviving boats. They're up to J so far.

Incidentally I don't thing Yarwoods actually built any FMC butties although confudingly they converted 12 Saltley butties to motors.

Hope my old boat Marquis is being looked after and you find a good home for Grimsby!

Paul H

Thanks for that Paul

I know that the Gosport is a Braithwaite Butty, It was what Started it all was a converstion about how many were still unmotorised and full length were there and where are they?? Thought it would be fun to mention the Yarwoods ones !!!!

I was going to Ask Jan Deuchar really she has quite a record for the NBOC but i thought it might be fun to put it on here She owns Hereford at Trent Lock

Marquis Is looking really well and James is doing here Proud for you Not sure if he will make it to Braunston yet But Monarch is going not sure if Grimsby is as we might be towing Dove who is having a lot of work done to her at Penkridge Andy and Andrea have been Riveting all her starn end she is looking a lot happier they are in the middle of ripping her cabin off and they have started on her Back Cabin

BTW I have decided that Im keeping Grimsby I didnt want her to go. but it was a money issue. . like not having enough to make ends meet I have since stopped renting the lock up that Monarchs steam Engine was stored in giving me a little extra per month which is good as they were a working pair during the second world war

Regards

Viv

Edited by VIV SCRAGG

• 1 month later...

Our Butties are Satley Built

Australia Fazeley Northolt (Sunny Valley) and Longton. All currently at Alvecote waiting for orders.

I think Union Rose (see seperate question) is also a Satley butty.

Also motor boat Stafford (currently at Polish yard being rebuilt) was a Satley butty converted in 1938 and completely refooted at same time to a motor by Yarwoods. I was thinking of mating Union Rose stern end with Staffords fore end to recreat a butty for a change. But then again one of those things I never got round to!

I still have the engine if you know any takers for it ?? £10K ono

I sold the boiler it went to coventry a friend of Phil and Seans bought it Keith

Our Butties are Satley Built

Australia Fazeley Northolt (Sunny Valley) and Longton. All currently at Alvecote waiting for orders.

I think Union Rose (see seperate question) is also a Satley butty.

Also motor boat Stafford (currently at Polish yard being rebuilt) was a Satley butty converted in 1938 and completely refooted at same time to a motor by Yarwoods. I was thinking of mating Union Rose stern end with Staffords fore end to recreat a butty for a change. But then again one of those things I never got round to!

Yep saw them the other day when we came through I knew yours are saltleys is was the others that are not seen about the system so do actually know how many are left as butties then ??

No orders for them then ????

• 2 months later...
I still have the engine if you know any takers for it ?? £10K ono

- I sold the boiler it went to coventry a friend of Phil and Seans bought it Keith

Well i'll certainly make a note its still for sale, now i know it is, and will let you know if i hear of anyone looking for something that size.

- Although obvously its a bit big for a launch, which is what makes up most of the running steam boats, and a little riar being a triple as well.

Daniel

STAFFORD is in poland being rebuilt? Wow, are they using rivets in the rebuild or will it be welds? Im not going to count any rivets just thinking that some of the craftsmen available over there will still have recent experience of hot rivetting on a commercial scale.

• 5 months later...
STAFFORD is in poland being rebuilt? Wow, are they using rivets in the rebuild or will it be welds? Im not going to count any rivets just thinking that some of the craftsmen available over there will still have recent experience of hot rivetting on a commercial scale.

Live Picture STAFFORD

Got back to work on it ,and no, Not a Museum restoration

Its having 3LW and full length conversion.

We had to replace all the steel that was overplated with rivets which I assume was during its 1938 conversion to a motor boat.

Planning to take it with Greyound up the inclined planes in September for a jolly before bringing home.

Live Picture GREYHOUND

Picture is live so dark when factory closed.

• 2 weeks later...