Advice for newbies

kohaladonah

Featured Posts

We are two retired couples 60s and 70s but in decent shape, from the States (Hawaii and Alabama) with some boating experience but not canal or narrow boating. We'd like to do a narrowboat holiday, probably in either the late spring (mid-May) or early autumn (mid to late September) for 14 days. I have examined lots of hire boat sites, picked out the style of boat that I think will work for us, narrowed our choices down to ABC Boats, Napton Narrowboats, and Oxfordshire Narrowboats. Obviously, the choice of hire boat company and their starting place(s) will, to some extent, dictate exactly where we end up going, but at this point, I am looking at these three possiblilities, which I selected by looking at the Canal Plan virtual cruises:

1. Hayford to Henley

2. Gailey to Ripple Quarry

3. Autherley to Woodhouse Green's Meadows

What we would like is a route that is interesting, relatively easy to do for first timers (who are also all seniors), where there are plenty of places to moor that are near (a mile or two) to towns/pubs and also places of interest to visit (castles, gardens, stately homes, museums, etc) We are also looking for a starting point that is convenient to public transportation, preferably train, but at least by train and bus. We'll likely be flying into Heathrow, but could also try for Manchester as there are a few flights there from the States.

Are any of the above suitable, and/or are there other areas I should be looking? Also any thoughts on the hire boat companies would be helpful.

Many thanks!

Donna Brown

It's a very easy walk from Alvechurch station to the ABC boatyard at Alvechurch. From London on the train, you'd travel via frequent high speed train to Birmingham, then change platforms for a frequent and quick local service to Alvechurch. I can't see you doing much better than that for train travel to a hire boat centre since many are a little off the beaten track. Others will be able to suggest alternatives though, so I'm sure you'll have a choice.

If you read ABC's website, they'll list all the possible cruises from Alvechurch. Stratford-upon-Avon is a quite popular destination from there and September is shoulder season so it shouldn't be too busy a cruise. If you find a route you like the look of, folks here will know all the best pubs, etc.

I haven't used a hireboat for some years but did once have one of ABC's from that base. They were some of the best around back then. They may be a little pricey, but boat hire is an expensive business and the present exchange rate should see you get a good deal.

I hope that gives you a start and more will follow. Good luck with your plan Donna. I hope you have a memorable holiday. :)

Do you have a canal map to study? - that makes route planning easier I think, especially if you want to do a circular route rather than out or back, which gives a bit more variety (though it is fair to say that most canals look very different going from B to A rather than A to B ).

You would have time to do a leisurely cruise around the four counties ring - from Gailey or Autherley, ie Autherley-Barbridge-Middlewich-Great Haywood-Autherley.

110 miles, 94 locks , 60 hours. A very relaxing trip with a mixture of canal types, scenery, and a tunnel.

You could extend this in several ways, for example

• to add in the Caldon canal down to Froghall, 144 miles, 128 locks 81 hours
  • to include Manchester and Marple - 180 miles, and 124 locks, 91 hours

Edited to add: I quite like this map

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Hi,

Heyford to Henley would be my choice, mix of canal and the River Thames, excellent scenery, especially on the latter, and if you have time the Thames up to Lechlade is really good. You will probably see England at it's very best on this trip and may well catch the start of the Autumn 'tints' through the Goring gap.

Make sure the boat has a decent heating system as most of the Americans I have encountered over the years complain about the cold and you need some where to dry out if it rains.

Convenient station at Heyford.

Have fun,

L.

Hi,

Heyford to Henley would be my choice, mix of canal and the River Thames, excellent scenery, especially on the latter, and if you have time the Thames up to Lechlade is really good. You will probably see England at it's very best on this trip and may well catch the start of the Autumn 'tints' through the Goring gap.

Make sure the boat has a decent heating system as most of the Americans I have encountered over the years complain about the cold and you need some where to dry out if it rains.

Convenient station at Heyford.

Have fun,

L.

Thanks, to all, and particularly for the heating tip - since we are not only Americans, but from the South and Hawaii, we're cold all the time when it is below 70F, so will certainly inquire about the heating system! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Do you have a canal map to study? - that makes route planning easier I think, especially if you want to do a circular route rather than out or back, which gives a bit more variety (though it is fair to say that most canals look very different going from B to A rather than A to B ).

You would have time to do a leisurely cruise around the four counties ring - from Gailey or Autherley, ie Autherley-Barbridge-Middlewich-Great Haywood-Autherley.

110 miles, 94 locks , 60 hours. A very relaxing trip with a mixture of canal types, scenery, and a tunnel.

You could extend this in several ways, for example

• to add in the Caldon canal down to Froghall, 144 miles, 128 locks 81 hours
  • to include Manchester and Marple - 180 miles, and 124 locks, 91 hours

Edited to add: I quite like this map

Brilliant! I LOVE this map-just like the tube map and I can now see how things hook up!

Thanks, to all, and particularly for the heating tip - since we are not only Americans, but from the South and Hawaii, we're cold all the time when it is below 70F, so will certainly inquire about the heating system! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Brilliant! I LOVE this map-just like the tube map and I can now see how things hook up!

You will be cold! especially in the evenings, hire boats do not usually have a solid fuel fire, but rely on gas or oil - you might ask the Forum' s advice on this. I am planning a trip starting on the 18th Sept, and have an oil fired system as well as a range, plus an engine room to warm and dry clothes.

Note all your routes, but one you may consider is north or south on the GU from Leighton Buzzard, Wyvern Cruises supply good boats. Bear in mind if you try to do an adventurous 'ring' it ain't much fun boating all day in the rain, it's nice to be able to tie up and explore on foot.

Weather can be nice in late September (if we have an 'Indian Summer), but it can be wet......................

L.

Edited by LEO

Four Counties Ring with the Caldon Canal added on.

Plenty of hire bases around the 4CR that would be within a taxi ride of a railway station. You could even hire from one of the Middlewich companies and get a taxi directly there from Manchester Airport.

Norbury have (still have?) boat(s) with wood burning stoves.

We hired 'Summer Wine' back in 2010 and look what that led to!

smile.png

ETA Norbury Wharf is a taxi ride from Stafford railway station, fast trains from Euston (London)

Edited by Victor Vectis

Norbury have (still have?) boat(s) with wood burning stoves.

We hired 'Summer Wine' back in 2010 and look what that led to!

smile.png

ETA Norbury Wharf is a taxi ride from Stafford railway station, fast trains from Euston (London)

If 'solid fuel stove' means wood burning, then, yes, they still have several, including Summer Wine. Alas, none with two showers, though.

I find it hard enough to share a bathroom with my OWN spouse, let alone someone else's....

How very strange.

I think you will struggle to find a boat with 2 showers. I think some larger hire boats would have 2 separate toilets, but I can't say I've ever heard of a boat having 2 showers.

I think you will struggle to find a boat with 2 showers. I think some larger hire boats would have 2 separate toilets, but I can't say I've ever heard of a boat having 2 showers.

The bigger boats in the ABC fleet have two showers. I have hired them a couple of times for a group of five adults of which only two were a couple. I think they are designed with two couples in mind.

JP

How very strange.

lots of companies have 2 bedroom, 2 bath configurations, just not Norbury. ABC have lots, as do Napton.

lots of companies have 2 bedroom, 2 bath configurations, just not Norbury. ABC have lots, as do Napton.

Add to that Wyvern shipping out of Leighton Buzzard on the GU. Boats with 2 full bathrooms and I might add shower boxes that were appreciably bigger than most I have encountered . Additionally they also offer boats that have comfortable lounge chairs rather than the usual bench seat around the dining table , an important point when hiring for a 2 week period . I used them on my third hire this past May and found a superior level of comfort. Another point to consider over a 2 week hire is the overall cost . Some hire firms have extras added on to the brochure price . Wyvern and a few others are all inclusive . Important to compare apples with apples .

It surprised me but it seems that some of the Napton boats even have 3 bathrooms in a 70ft boat http://www.napton-marina.co.uk/boats/regency/regency_6d.php. You can have 2 bathrooms in a 61ft boat, which is probably a better choice for the OP, and a bit "cheaper" http://www.napton-marina.co.uk/boats/regency/regency_4.php

For 2 week holidays look for "deals" on the second week, for example from the Napton web site currently

2 Week Holidays

50% off the cheapest week for holidays up to 17th June 2016 OR after 8th September 2016.

15% off the cheapest week for all other dates

It surprised me but it seems that some of the Napton boats even have 3 bathrooms in a 70ft boat http://www.napton-marina.co.uk/boats/regency/regency_6d.php. You can have 2 bathrooms in a 61ft boat, which is probably a better choice for the OP, and a bit "cheaper" http://www.napton-marina.co.uk/boats/regency/regency_4.php

For 2 week holidays look for "deals" on the second week, for example from the Napton web site currently

I saw those, but, even with my sharing issues, it seemed a bit extravagant, plus 70 feet seemed to be a bit more daunting to steer and maneuver. It seems that many, if not all, hire companies will offer some kind of discount for longer rentals, and, I am hoping, also for shoulder season.

I saw those, but, even with my sharing issues, it seemed a bit extravagant, plus 70 feet seemed to be a bit more daunting to steer and maneuver. It seems that many, if not all, hire companies will offer some kind of discount for longer rentals, and, I am hoping, also for shoulder season.

We moor close to the Napton Narrowboats base at Napton in Warwickshire, and the boats are very well presented. I don't think you would go far wrong with using them if you like the layout.

You are right it you don't need the 70ft one a bit shorter one would make life a bit easier.

We moor close to the Napton Narrowboats base at Napton in Warwickshire, and the boats are very well presented. I don't think you would go far wrong with using them if you like the layout.

You are right it you don't need the 70ft one a bit shorter one would make life a bit easier.

Thanks, that is good to know. Since you are based there, do you have any recommendations as to a route we might do from Napton?

Thanks, that is good to know. Since you are based there, do you have any recommendations as to a route we might do from Napton?

The Napton area has a lot of marinas and hire bases due to the fact there there are a lot of routes available from there, so you will get different suggestions as what to do. The Warwickshire ring over 2 weeks with a diversion up the Ashby would be good, it depends on how many locks you want to do and if you want a mix of rural and urban.

The one thing against Napton is that it is not close to a train station, I suspect you would get a train to Rugby and then a taxi from there, so you would need to decide if that works for you.

Napton offers a great choice of routes that match your original post (OP) wish list. 14 days will take you to Oxford and back, passing thro' Banbury (Cross) with time to spare if the weather is bad and to properly explore Oxford. The locks are single and well spaced and the route winds (literally) thro' classic English countryside. Otherwise you can head towards Royal Leamington Spa and Warwick (Castle) thro' double locks which seem more daunting but you'll nearly always be accompanied by another boat for advice, conversation and sometimes friendship. Downside is that it's a bit inaccessible except by Taxi/Uber from Leamington or Rugby - 10+ miles.

The Napton area has a lot of marinas and hire bases due to the fact there there are a lot of routes available from there, so you will get different suggestions as what to do. The Warwickshire ring over 2 weeks with a diversion up the Ashby would be good, it depends on how many locks you want to do and if you want a mix of rural and urban.

The one thing against Napton is that it is not close to a train station, I suspect you would get a train to Rugby and then a taxi from there, so you would need to decide if that works for you.

If you are coming from London (Change Reading) or Heathrow (Air bus to Reading) check the train fairs to Rugby, Leamington Spa and Banbury. I find the fare from Reading to Banbury is far cheaper than Reading to Leamington Spa. I think it is because First GW terminate at Banbury and/or Banbury used to be at the end of the Network South East area. The cost of taxis seems to be similar (We go to Callcut) and we use Cross Country Trains, not FGW. Direct bus from Leamington Spa to with in maybe 200 yards of Napton Narrowboats (Kings Head, Napton). Hourly service but not on Sundays, departs about 5 minutes walk of Leamington station.

One or two hourly bus services from Banbury and Rugby to Southam but no decent connection for the bus to Napton (Kings Head) and taxis very hit and miss from Southam unless booked.