An East London fashion designer looking for a boat to shoot lookbook images

niro

Featured Posts

Twee as in Roses and Castles, ribbon plates and bonnets

The image is twee, not the boats. And there could be a commercial opportunity here

Richard

OK. Not my definition of twee.

More twaditional I'd a' thought.

Note to Niro ... to be able to receive messages you'll have to make another post.

LCx

Hi, Lady Cassandra, thanks for your kind remind:) Do I have to start a new topic or reply is fine? Thanks

What a load of patronising twaddle

Richard

Hang on, this is one of the links posted:

6db4afc0214a53f6c116fef3a42f7c10.jpg

We are in with a chance, Mike

Richard

definitely:)

I can't help with the photoshoot location I'm afraid, but I have produced a useful Venn diagram illustrating the set of people who own narrowboats and the set of people who own £120 T-shirts featuring cartoon lumberjacks:

OO

Best of luck, and if you only manage to find people who want to charge you ten times what you might regard as a reasonable price, well...

Thanks for your wish:)

Niro, don't let this lot put you off, it's customary on this forum to mercilessly make fun of anyone who comes along with an unusual request, but there's a decent chance that someone will come forward to help you out. That Venn diagram by magictime is very true, but you don't need us to buy your clothes, just to provide a boat for the photo shoot. Technically anyone hiring out a boat for payment has to have a trading licence (as opposed to the standard Canal & River Trust boat licence), but I'm sure ways around that could be found.

This is a bit of a culture clash; I had to Google SS17, and having decided you wouldn't mean the postcode area for Thurrock, concluded it stands for "Spring and Summer 2017".

It may help if you can answer a few questions:

Location! Does this shoot need to take place in East London? It does indeed have canals, but they're crowded and may not necessarily have the type of boat and background scenery you'll want. Are you looking for an urban or rural location, or maybe some interesting historic canal features as a background?

The boat(s): Do you want a traditional looking narrow boat, perhaps a working boat? Any particular colour? Bear in mind here that while a boat will have a main colour, they mostly have a very multi-coloured look. If you're paying for it, someone whose boat needs a repaint might be happy for you to choose your own design...

Dear Peter X, Thank you so much for your very kind and helpful words. To be honest, I don't want to treat this experience as a trading behaviour or just a commercial thing, ideally I could also make friends of the people who helped me to do this photo shooting, but, I do know that what I'm going to do will interrupt their normal daily life, I would like to give them something back as compensation or reward. So, I'm kind of in the dilemma, don't know what is the best way to communicate with the one who may help me... I do need your guys opinions, thanks.

about the questions you asked: The location can be anywhere in London, or the place not too far from London(40 mins driving distance.) I prefer rural area, not many people passing by, and if there is a historic Lock in the background scene would be great.

About Boat, thanks for reminding me that the traditional boats are colorful, I actually quite like the boat in London Canal Museum, which is blue, red and white as main colors,

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/518688082067211308/

and how much do you think the paint work would cost?

It could be an opportunity for Nuneaton and Brighton. They would fit the twee image that Niro is trying to work with

Perhaps they could hire the pair for the shoot

Richard

Thanks Richard:) I will check that out

This is cool:)

You're most likely to get help from the London Boaters Facebook group. Be aware that there are often requests for similar things put up, so you might get a bit of piss-taking, as you have here. But you're also much more likely to find someone with a boat in the area.

Repeat after me, "We are all individuals"

I have a life, not a "lifestyle".

I'm not!

Call that a life!

Richard

icecream.gif

it is very interesting to know the fact:) And I think you are right, we are all individuals, sometimes share collective identity.

read this first. i know someone who had their pop video shoot stopped because of unauthorised filming, They will want your monaaayyy.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/media-centre/filming-and-photography

Thanks Lady Muck for letting me know this, very important:)

You're most likely to get help from the London Boaters Facebook group. Be aware that there are often requests for similar things put up, so you might get a bit of piss-taking, as you have here. But you're also much more likely to find someone with a boat in the area.

Thank you for the information, luckily English is not my first Language, sometimes things wouldn't piss me out, haha:)

Hey I just googled 'scruffy narrow boat' looking for a less shiny boat and a pic of MY boat was returned in the results!!

Reg1.jpg

Damned cheek, that Google bloke...

Nice pic though, I'd want that boat had I not previously bought it five years ago biggrin.png

Mike is that you driving the boat, its a bit of a shock after thinking you was on your avatar photo ninja.gif