the power of the sun

magnetman

Featured Posts

I have a few ratchet straps holding down certain things to the roof of the boat. Its not that important but I was doing other things and one of the straps just seemed to evaoprate when I accidentally hit it with something.

OK they are cheapo 25mm shite lidl :lol: but anyway it was obviously sun damage as another one which is usually shaded when on the mooring won' t break even if I want it to.

I have also experienced screwed ropes.

Is there anything which can be done about sunshine or the damaged caused by it?

I have a few ratchet straps holding down certain things to the roof of the boat. Its not that important but I was doing other things and one of the straps just seemed to evaoprate when I accidentally hit it with something.

OK they are cheapo 25mm shite lidl laugh.png but anyway it was obviously sun damage as another one which is usually shaded when on the mooring won' t break even if I want it to.

I have also experienced screwed ropes.

Is there anything which can be done about sunshine or the damaged caused by it?

I think its UV yes.

If we could have less sunshine perhaps it would help.

I think its to much falling over juice !!!!

Factor 5 sunblock? Also available from Lidl from time to time.

Ah, you haven't noticed the grade inflation associated with sunblock have you?

Factor 5 is weak these days. Factor 30 is strong. I think I saw factor 50 the other day too!!

How long before it is getting stated in the millions?!

Like sun glasses the ratchet straps could be covered all over with brown cellophane toffee wrappers such as provided to wrap 'I think' the chocolate covered coconut sweets of Quality Street.

Edited by bizzard

Ah, you haven't noticed the grade inflation associated with sunblock have you?

Factor 5 is weak these days. Factor 30 is strong. I think I saw factor 50 the other day too!!

How long before it is getting stated in the millions?!

You'r right. I took my eye off the glitter ball. To buisy getting a nightclub tan.

The ultimate sunblock.

Oh! just a mo. They switched on the UV lamps. Is there a high factor sunblock that sorts dandruf too?

Plastics vary widely in their resistance to UV degradation, but I think ratchet straps are usually polyester, one of the better plastics for this as you might expect because it's an outdoor use. However that doesn't mean it's impervious to the sun, it degrades in the end.

You could make a habit of mooring in the shade of trees, bridges etc., but this may be an unattractive option if you have solar panels. Alternatively, you could cover your ratchet straps with something that blocks UV, e.g. wrap some material round them whenever you leave them for a while.

You'r right. I took my eye off the glitter ball. To buisy getting a nightclub tan.

The ultimate sunblock.

Oh! just a mo. They switched on the UV lamps. Is there a high factor sunblock that sorts dandruf too?

Best thing for sorting dandruff is a No 1

Phil