Coventry basin

kingswood

Featured Posts

I suggest that your post would be more meaningful without your title of "coventry basin", perhaps substitute "A good tip".

Your content then merely needs to say .....

just be aware not to leave stuff on your roof. I left my keys on the roof with my baseball cap and they were nicked while we were inside the boat luckily my son came with a spare set as it had car and house keys on it

From our experience, the OP's comments about Coventry Basin are not completely unwarranted, particulary during school hoildays and at weekends. We moored there a few years ago and were plauged by a group of small boys,. who seemed to think that the boats were there for them to clamber over.

I understand there is some sort of warden normally on duty who organises all sorts of schemes to occupy the time of any young people who migrate to the basin, but he was on holiday when we moored there. There is CCTV in the basin, but we were informed by some C&ART employees that it is not linked to the Police system, and is only monitored by the City Council during work hours!

Unless things have changed recently the basin has a deserted feel about it, there was only one other boat (in August). There are quite a few shops and other commercial buildings in the basin, but apart from the old wharf sheds, and one shop, they were all unoccupied. A pity really, because it could be a vibrant place, and Coventry is an interesting city certainly worth an extended visit.

Edited by David Schweizer

I suggest that your post would be more meaningful without your title of "coventry basin", perhaps substitute "A good tip".

Your content then merely needs to say .....

just be aware not to leave stuff on your roof. I left my keys on the roof with my baseball cap and they were nicked while we were inside the boat luckily my son came with a spare set as it had car and house keys on it

Agree with this. We've moored in the basin many times with no problems but have had stuff nicked off our roof in other places. Always be careful about leaving keys and personal items unattended on the roof, even momentarily, anywhere.

You were lucky! It's all about wrong place wrong time, not specific locations in my experience. Scroats and thieves are everywhere, it's just more likely you'll come across them in a highly populated area. Saying that I've heard tales of mischief and thieving in picture postcard locations. Just best to be careful wherever you are.

You were lucky! It's all about wrong place wrong time, not specific locations in my experience. Scroats and thieves are everywhere, it's just more likely you'll come across them in a highly populated area. Saying that I've heard tales of mischief and thieving in picture postcard locations. Just best to be careful wherever you are.

This is the point really, but I would make one refinement to Ange's post, rather than "wrong place wrong time", make it "wrong people wrong time". It's the people who happen to come by that are the issue, and the wrong people can come by anywhere, although of course urban areas increase the chance of a wrong 'un coming by. As other have said you can have issues, thefts or anti social behaviour anywhere, so always take sensible precautions and don't leave valuables about. I found Coventry basin very quiet, few people around during the day and no one in the evenings, the only issue being the rubbish strew trip there from Hawkesbury.

• Greenie 1

Living in Coventry I often visit the basin to see if there is anything of interest. Occasionally there is. In all my visits there I have never seen any signs of trouble. Yes theft happens, how many cars are broken into where ever they may be?

Theft on canals is not peculiar to Coventry Basin, we had a Calder & Hebble spike nicked off the roof of a hire boat when we were up that way, but I would not condemn the whole of the C & H for one incident.

I think Ange's quote: "Coventry Basin is better than some and worse than others. I do so hate it when folks condemn a place because of a one off experience. Crap happens everywhere." quite fair.

One issue the basin does suffer from is the infamous "Ring Road", it impedes access to the Basin and therefore not many choose to visit. The City Council could make more of it but they don't because it means spending money!

I feel the basin has had a "lift" with Valley Cruisers having a base there.

Yes, there is a problem with the rubbish thrown in the cut plus other activities on the bank but that is the fault of some of the residents. Coventry Canal Trust work very hard to try to keep it clean and tidy but there is only so much they can do. It must be very disheartening to have a work party out to clear the cut only to find a month later it is full of rubbish again.

Edited by Ray T

Shops are disappointing in the basin, hair dressers, fishing shop, general eastern European type shop and a coffee shop, a few empty ones.....

The council do need to evaluate and sort something, even lower rents/rates might bring something new and more in line with boaters.

Used to be a nice bar, but that became a nightclub and has now closed.

Worst part for rubbish seems to be near the hungry horse pub, that stretch seems to collect a lot of floating waste.

I do though enjoy cruising into the basin a few times a year, its handy to moor for the night and have a night around Cov.

However, I just had to go back to my boat at Hawkesbury as I had left a bag with phone and other stuff in on the roof, an hour later and it was still there!

At least you're consistent laugh.png

Living in Coventry I often visit the basin to see if there is anything of interest. Occasionally there is. In all my visits there I have never seen any signs of trouble. Yes theft happens, how many cars are broken into where ever they may be?

Theft on canals is not peculiar to Coventry Basin, we had a Calder & Hebble spike nicked off the roof of a hire boat when we were up that way, but I would not condemn the whole of the C & H for one incident.

I think Ange's quote: "Coventry Basin is better than some and worse than others. I do so hate it when folks condemn a place because of a one off experience. Crap happens everywhere." quite fair.

One issue the basin does suffer from is the infamous "Ring Road", it impedes access to the Basin and therefore not many choose to visit. The City Council could make more of it but they don't because it means spending money!

I feel the basin has had a "lift" with Valley Cruisers having a base there.

Yes, there is a problem with the rubbish thrown in the cut plus other activities on the bank but that is the fault of some of the residents. Coventry Canal Trust work very hard to try to keep it clean and tidy but there is only so much they can do. It must be very disheartening to have a work party out to clear the cut only to find a month later it is full of rubbish again.

You're totally correct The Inner Ring Road effectively created an island of Coventry.

Still if the church had had their way at the end of the war, there wouldn't be a Canal Basin anymore. They wanted to stick the new cathedral on it.

I don't blame Coventry City Council for withdrawing resources and manpower.

The greedy, criminal bankers took care of that with their actions eight years ago.

There were plenty of staff and resources about back then. The Council financed and resourced The Canal Rangers, they had a Work Flat (Fazeley) and were out most days.

They've gone and Fazeley was laid up for years at Swan Lane Wharf, now she's gone.

Just about all maintenance now is down to The Coventry Canal Society (not Coventry Canal Trust) Panther goes out Spring to late Autumn. However once we have a hold full of Supermarket trollies (Tesco don't want them back as they can't be sterilised, although it would be nice if they helped retrieve and dispose of them!) and stolen bikes we have no where to dump them ourselves.

The C&RT/Council partnership seems to have disolved so neither of them will finance a skip to take what we dredge out (with home made grappling irons) we depend on the helpful charity at Swan Lane Wharf.

A tip to those boating the five and a half, The road bridges that have a path down the side leading to the towpath are the ones that get bikes and trollies. Accelerate at them and as the nose of your boat enters the bridge hole cut to tick over. This will carry you through and as your wake overtakes you it will lift your back end up and over any obstructions.

The secret is savvy boating, not dissimilar to what we learnt in the 60s. Use your eyes and anticipate the worst. Every time I go down there I see boaters with their bum in the air and arms down the weed hatch. To date I have avoided that and my boat draws 3ft static. I do bump over stuff and clear the prop every quarter a mile with a touch of reverse.

It is certainly better now there is a hire base in the basin, and so far as security is concerned, would you make a homebase for your hire fleet there if it was such a dive?

Used to be a nice bar, but that became a nightclub and has now closed.

There used to be a boat fitters (Phoenix) behind the nightclub as well. Suddenly had to up sticks and leave, neverdid get the real reason why.

Loddon is one of theirs.

I enjoyed a great couple of nights in the Coventry basin earlier this month. No problems at all. The cafe does a fantastic English breakfast and the price was very reasonable.

There were a few people hanging around at night but nothing malicious and all were perfectly polite when I engaged them in conversation.

I would definitely moor there again .

From what people are saying, the basin seems to have brightened up a bit since we were there. It was a decidedly unwelcoming place a few years ago. Hopefully the present businesses occupying the shops will have more patronage than the ones which had clearly left in the past.

I enjoyed a great couple of nights in the Coventry basin earlier this month. No problems at all. The cafe does a fantastic English breakfast and the price was very reasonable.

There were a few people hanging around at night but nothing malicious and all were perfectly polite when I engaged them in conversation.

I would definitely moor there again .

If any one comes to Coventry Basin and there is a small somewhat portly gent walking round with a camera be aware, be very aware! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ray T

At least you're consistent laugh.png

You're totally correct The Inner Ring Road effectively created an island of Coventry.

Still if the church had had their way at the end of the war, there wouldn't be a Canal Basin anymore. They wanted to stick the new cathedral on it.

I don't blame Coventry City Council for withdrawing resources and manpower.

The greedy, criminal bankers took care of that with their actions eight years ago.

There were plenty of staff and resources about back then. The Council financed and resourced The Canal Rangers, they had a Work Flat (Fazeley) and were out most days.

They've gone and Fazeley was laid up for years at Swan Lane Wharf, now she's gone.

Just about all maintenance now is down to The Coventry Canal Society (not Coventry Canal Trust) Panther goes out Spring to late Autumn. However once we have a hold full of Supermarket trollies (Tesco don't want them back as they can't be sterilised, although it would be nice if they helped retrieve and dispose of them!) and stolen bikes we have no where to dump them ourselves.

The C&RT/Council partnership seems to have disolved so neither of them will finance a skip to take what we dredge out (with home made grappling irons) we depend on the helpful charity at Swan Lane Wharf.

A tip to those boating the five and a half, The road bridges that have a path down the side leading to the towpath are the ones that get bikes and trollies. Accelerate at them and as the nose of your boat enters the bridge hole cut to tick over. This will carry you through and as your wake overtakes you it will lift your back end up and over any obstructions.

The secret is savvy boating, not dissimilar to what we learnt in the 60s. Use your eyes and anticipate the worst. Every time I go down there I see boaters with their bum in the air and arms down the weed hatch. To date I have avoided that and my boat draws 3ft static. I do bump over stuff and clear the prop every quarter a mile with a touch of reverse.

It is certainly better now there is a hire base in the basin, and so far as security is concerned, would you make a homebase for your hire fleet there if it was such a dive?

Coventry City Council were very supportive of the canal - from 1975 until 1997 they ran a couple of 65ft boats for residential trips for school groups, used almost throughout the year. Based at the old canal managers house, Canal House , which overlooks the basin, the Coventry Waterways Scheme employed a staff of five.