Moorings wanted in or around Rugby

Luke1971

Featured Posts

Hi

I've recently brought a mayland 20ft cabin cruiser type boat and have just put it on a 14 day free mooring in rugby but I need to find a long term or at least 12 month mooring near to rugby I don't intend living on my boat so that's not a problem I just need somewhere to moor it

Can any one help me with a mooring or info on a mooring and expected prices?

Many thanks in advance

It might be worth asking Clifton Cruisers at Clifton on Dunsmore? Just a suggestion, I don't know, but they have quite a lot of mooring, particularly down a former arm, and might find space for a small boat.

If you want a marina mooring I would recommend Brinklow Marina. We moored there for 3 years and it was a good (secure) place to be. There are on site boaters who look after the marina for the owner and so there are eyes and ears out 24 hours a day. The rates were reasonable too we paid £1800 per year for a 50ft narrowboat but that was nearly 2 years ago now. They used to have other GRP boats there too.

Here is their website. Having a quick look they say the price is £36.00 per foot per year inc vat.

Edited by churchward

It my be worth giving Crick a ring to see if they have a small berth available. The village with a couple of pubs and shops is an easy walk, it's not far to Rugby with bus service for the journey if you need it, and there's very nice local cruising as well as being a good start point for longer range stuff. I bought my boat at ABNB there and kept the mooring for a few months. That was about 3 years or so ago and we really enjoyed it.

We too had many happy years at Brinklow marina, friendly, helpful and very pleasant. The only downside iscthe site is a bit exposed and getting on the pontoon can be a bit tricky in windy weather but there is some bankside armco one can go on in such conditions.

Top Cat

No one mentioned Baby marina.

It's too small!

We too had many happy years at Brinklow marina, friendly, helpful and very pleasant. The only downside iscthe site is a bit exposed and getting on the pontoon can be a bit tricky in windy weather but there is some bankside armco one can go on in such conditions.

Top Cat

I never found it any worse than any other marina we have been at.

CRT towpath moorings cost the same as marina moorings these days, so unless you like mud, go for the marinas.

You keep saying this Mike, but it is not my experience in areas I know about.

Even if it were true, (and it isn't around here), many marinas will not I think sell a mooring for a 20 foot boat "by the foot", if it is still occupying one pontoon position. If they chargwe by the pontoon it would be a daft option for a boat this short.

On the other hand CRT towpath moorings are invariably priced by the foot, and often when the very short ones are advertised they go at reserve, because few people are looking for a mooring that short.

That said, although no expert, I can't think of many CRT towp[ath moorings close to Rugby, although there might be vacancies at places like Newbold, I suppose.

Even if it were true, (and it isn't around here), many marinas will not I think sell a mooring for a 20 foot boat "by the foot", if it is still occupying one pontoon position. If they chargwe by the pontoon it would be a daft option for a boat this short.

My experience differs :

I currently have two boats based in two different marinas, both marinas take 'small' boats on a per-foot basis at the same rate as 'long' boats.

There are few 'small' boats in marinas because paying £700-£1000 per annum mooring for a boat that is only worth (maybe) £2000-£3000 is not viable.

A trailer can be purchased (for a fraction of a years mooring costs) and boats such as the OPs can easily be trailed to various areas and launched via a slip.

For many years we had boats in the 20 foot bracket and towed all over the country, several friends/families would hire static caravans and we would take our boats all-over. Example : We had great times on the West Coast of Scotland basing ourselves near Oban.

If you have somewhere to keep your boat (at home, Farmers field etc) then you don't need a mooring and have much more flexibility in your cruising grounds.

My experience differs :

I currently have two boats based in two different marinas, both marinas take 'small' boats on a per-foot basis at the same rate as 'long' boats.

Yes but many do not, and I don't know what the situation is for those close to Rugby. Do you? If not the OP needs to find out.

Our home mooring is not hugely far from there, (it's in Northamptonshire), and is pontoon moorings in an offside basin, with boats pointing out across the widened canal. With most facilities, but otherwise fairly basic, it is priced at £2,300 per annum, per pontoon. Whilst that is not a bad deal for our near 72 foot boat, it would be the same rate for a 20 foot one, so you would be pretty daft to moor a very short boat there.

Whats the place on the north oxford, just before Hawkesbury, private club for GRP type boats, i know its not in rugby but its only a short drive and gives you more options for weekend trips!

Isn't that Coventry Cruising Club? Wykern Arm

http://www.wilderness.org.uk/2011/04/hawkesbury-junctionnorthern-oxford

Isn't that Coventry Cruising Club? Wykern Arm

http://www.wilderness.org.uk/2011/04/hawkesbury-junctionnorthern-oxford

yep, thats it.

I think you have to take part in a canal clean up though if you moor there?

The Wyken Arm is home to two different moorings.

Upon leaving the main line the first is Coventry Cruing Club. The link provided above is the second moorings which is The Coventry Canal Society (the other side of the M6)

Both organisers of these moorings require a number of days devotion to maintenance of the site every year.

The Coventry Canal Society also require a number of days out on Panther rubbish picking on the towpath and canal dredging for supermarket trollies and bicycles etc.

Failure to comply results in loss of mooring with either club.

Yes but many do not, and I don't know what the situation is for those close to Rugby. Do you? If not the OP needs to find out.

Our home mooring is not hugely far from there, (it's in Northamptonshire), and is pontoon moorings in an offside basin, with boats pointing out across the widened canal. With most facilities, but otherwise fairly basic, it is priced at £2,300 per annum, per pontoon. Whilst that is not a bad deal for our near 72 foot boat, it would be the same rate for a 20 foot one, so you would be pretty daft to moor a very short boat there.

Yep, same at Baddsley marina, i asked about putting a small 20ft boat in and they said it would be the same, the monthly rental was for a pontoon.

Although if you have a marina with lots of small boats then i guess they would do it based on length as they can two or three boats on a pontoon.

I do. Brinklow charge by the foot not the pontoon length which is probably why there are some GRP boats the already.

Hi

I've recently brought a mayland 20ft cabin cruiser type boat and have just put it on a 14 day free mooring in rugby but I need to find a long term or at least 12 month mooring near to rugby I don't intend living on my boat so that's not a problem I just need somewhere to moor it

Can any one help me with a mooring or info on a mooring and expected prices?

Many thanks in advance

I've just given up my 30' offside mooring at Colehurst Farm just east of Brinklow so if you contact the farmer, Don Powers, you may be able to get straight in there. It's a mix of res and non-res boats and can only be reached either through the farmyard or across the water so security is quite good. There's no electricity but there's a water standpipe every two or three boats and each boat has room to park at least a couple of cars. And Don cuts the grass for you too. The farm is at the end of Colehurst Lane (not labelled on Google Maps) off Smeaton Lane and is wrongly labelled on Google as Coombe Fields Farm