David Blagrove RIP

FadeToScarlet

Featured Posts

Very, very sad.

We last chatted to him at Stoke Bruerne only a few months back, and although he looked frail, it was the measure of the man that he was upbeat, and said he was making steady improvement.

Someone who has given huge amounts to our waterways for all of his adult life.

A "Village at War" without David strutting around in his bowler, will not seem fully complete, somehow.

RIP David.

A very sad day, but he had been very ill for some time. I first met David in the late1960's when we spent a couple of hours with him in his cottage at Stoke Bruerne, I always managed to have a chat with him at the Braunston Historic Boat Rally each years, and will remember him fondly.

I suspect there will be a very large crowd at his funeral.

Edited by David Schweizer

Yes indeed, almost every Xmas or Easter gathering David would be there singing, always a pleasure to hear. Will be missed, but not forgotten and his voice is on several videos available to all. Rounded a bend once and our bows just touched in passing, David said: "there's a kiss from one old Josher to another!" Nice bloke.

Known David for many years and really appreciate all that he has done to promote working boats and the cut. A great character who will be sadly missed. The pictures show his lovely "Number one" style butty "Elton" as seen in 1973 at Stoke Bruerne, in the RH one he is on "Neptune" on the Shroppy in 1978.

RIP David.

gallery_5000_522_53522.jpg

Not my photo, but a favourite of mine, and available on Flickr

Village At War 2014, I think. David (left) passing memories with Ron Withey - two former Willow Wren captains together.

15256701876_2870e2da56_b.jpgPassing the Time by Don Byatt, on Flickr

Edited by alan_fincher

Just heard that David Blagrove has sadly passed away. A real shame and a sad loss of a true waterways enthusiast.

Sad news, indeed. I saw him at Braunston Festival recently, on Sculptor, and he looked very frail. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to speak to him then.

I shall treasure my copy of "Bread upon the Waters", which he kindly signed for me, even more now. My condolences to his family.

One of my favourite memories of David, when I barely knew him. It was at the 'Village at War' in Stoke Bruerne.

I was emerging from the back cabin of Sickle, in my overalls, with a flowery pinny, and a scarf wrapped around my head in turban style.

David was passing in his 'Ministry' uniform, as seen in the picture above with Ron Withey. He was carrying a leather document wallet. He marched up to me, showed me his 'official Ministry pass' and asked me, "Madam, are you pregnant?"

I was somewhat taken aback, not entirely surprisingly.

He continued, "the Ministry is extremely concerned with the number of days that are being lost to trade when boats are tied up while women give birth, we are surveying families to assess the problem".

I assured him that, as far as I was aware, I was not pregnant, and therefore there was unlikely to be a disruption to our trade.

• Greenie 4

David or 'Blaggers as we affectionately called him was my English teacher at Roade secondary school.He would often regale us and act out funny anecdotes and stories from the cut.

He always gave heaps of encouragement and said I could write a book,something I later went on to do.

Thanks 'Blaggers' and RIP

• Greenie 1

David or 'Blaggers as we affectionately called him was my English teacher at Roade secondary school.He would often regale us and act out funny anecdotes and stories from the cut.

He always gave heaps of encouragement and said I could write a book,something I later went on to do.

Thanks 'Blaggers' and RIP

I also believe he was referred to as "Basher Blagrove" in some quarters.

Edited by Ray T

David in happier times (Mid-May 2014) entertaining those of us lucky enough to be in the Boat Inn and as I would like to remember him. As soon as I know I'll publish any funeral details on here.

Edited by Leo No2
  • Greenie 1