using generator as auxiliary engine?

Featured Posts

My barge has a 90hp diesel in it, a 3 cylinder lister generator and I also added a small 12v diesel generator recently

Currently I an doing 3.4mph running the main engine just above tickover (1100rpm). This is not ideal for a large engine.

I'd like to be able to perform slow cruising using the 3 cylinder lister but it is not in line with the propshaft.

What's the best way? Hydraulic maybe?

My barge has a 90hp diesel in it, a 3 cylinder lister generator and I also added a small 12v diesel generator recently

Currently I an doing 3.4mph running the main engine just above tickover (1100rpm). This is not ideal for a large engine.

I'd like to be able to perform slow cruising using the 3 cylinder lister but it is not in line with the propshaft.

Take out the 90HP engine and fit the Lister in it's place

Richard

Take out the 90HP engine and fit the Lister in it's place

Richard

Giggle

A propulsion engine. Lots of those driving boats

Richard

Probably not 30 tonne barges and my idea is for an auxiliary sort of like the wing engines one sometimes sees in motoryots :)

Get the boat IP to speed with the 90 then switch across to the smaller engine somehow

How about fitting an electric motor and clutch to the shaft like the hybrid diesel electrics do and power it from a generator?

That's an idea as the lister has a 8kva gen head on it. Would be nice to belt it but it is not parallel.

Do you ever use the full power from the bigger engine? If not propping down a bit might be one solution.

It would be but i do occasionally use it and it is handy as I go on the tidal thames to get to and from my mooring :)

That's an idea as the lister has a 8kva gen head on it. Would be nice to belt it but it is not parallel.

It would be but i do occasionally use it and it is handy as I go on the tidal thames to get to and from my mooring smile.png

No good then.

I once saw a pic of a boat with what looked like a saildrive through the hull but appeared to have an electric motor at the head. Maybe something along those lines?

I do not understand that. The diesel electric hybrids fit a clutch and pulley on the shaft (so the shaft can disengage from the diesel engine) with an electric motor above it driving through a belt. It would only need cables between generator and the motor's control gear. I don't see how "parallel" comes into the question.

Its a 20+hp engine if the revs are sey higher but the generator is only 8kva - that's where it comes into the question (in my head at least) and I was thinking a direct belt drive would be more simple. But anyway it is not parallel.

What I mean is to do electric hybrid would probably need a bigger generator and a large electric motor.

We once had a diesel electric boat here. They removed the engine to extend the cabin but left the electric motor connected. They powered it with a small 2 stroke generator, it crept along at about 1MPF=1 mile per fortnight. When it left here to go north somewhere I was out on a trip and tied up for the day at Little Venice when in the distance Hark!! I heard a wee 2 stroke approaching in the distance, about an hour later it crept past me.

Looking at this from another angle, if you succeed in getting the barge to pootle along with the much smaller propulsion engine, will the much smaller engine stop it in a reasonable time? Will it manoeuvre OK?

A variable pitch prop. might be a theoretical solution for the main engine but I would imagine it would be rather expensive.

Edited by Guest

How much do you want to spend? One method would be to go Hybrid. This way you can use the 90hp main engine, the generator engine or batteries. In addition either the generator or main engine could charge the batteries via the hybrid system.

What I mean is to do electric hybrid would probably need a bigger generator and a large electric motor.

It could be just big enough for canals, generator is big enough already for canal use.

8Kva will be about 6 or 7 Kw so 746 W = 1 hp. 6000/746 = about 8hp which I would have though was more than enough to for LOW speed work but as above, how about stopping it.

You could also benefit from battery use so have enough power for moving on electric alone.

For maneuvering just start the main engine. My main boating area these days is the Thames where there are long reached between locks and I like to go slowly :)

I'm not looking at spending a lot of money.I would rather move the generator to be parallel and belt it with a clutch than pay ££££ for a hybrid system :)

The generator will not mechanically drive the boat via a belt ( the bearings etc. would probably not take the load.) it will need an electric motor, the generator could be anywhere in the boat.

I think Loddon's idea of a trolling valve is worth a look.

Can you source any hydraulic bits off a (Scarab like) street sweeping machine? These may allow you to send power from the generator to the prop shaft regardless of the lack of alignment. Can you repurpose something from an electric forklift or a diesel/hydraulic fork truck.

But that's still running the big engine. Does not provide an auxiliary. I have no problem going slowly

Lynch motors are belt driven afaik

Would need a plummer block each side of the pulley I expect

A Lynch motor is an electric motor that can drive a belt/pulley

I know :) yes I meant belt drive but its obvious as the motor is the prime mover anyway.

I had a narrow boat years ago which had been fitted with a belt drive from a 50hp Perkins diesel engine. Triple V belts were used.

As long as correct shaft support bearings were used I think it would be feasible to belt a generator engine to a tailshaft on a canal boat or barge. Pulley sizes could be optimised for the required speed and the existing propeller.

That's what I meant anyway by belting the generator to the prop shaft

Not sure how a prm hydraulic gearbox would feel about being spun from the output rather than the input shaft though :unsure:

Hydraulics may be the most straightforward option - and is handy to have on a boat anyway :)

Edited by magnetman