How to round off a bolt (for security)?

Featured Posts

I am planning to use some tex screws (with a hex head) to secure door hinges to our boat. Problem is that will leave me with doors which are very easy to undo with a spanner.

Does anyone know of a tool or method to round them off once in. I imagine there could be a tool that goes in a drill which might be used for rounding off rivets which might work.

A slow method might be to grind off each corner with an angle grinder

Thanks!

I'd drill and tap and use stainless steel studs with shear nuts (assuming its a steel cabin)

Or use socket button machine screws and drill out the socket after fitting.

Edit to correct first part

Edited by magnetman

Or countersunk socket cap and drill out the socket. Same effect but would be more flush.

Tamper proof torx fasteners are interesting but as one can readily get the tools to remove them then how useful are they? Seems to me that using a fastener with an internal socket drive like an Allen type is quite good because of drilling out the socket and the action of doing the drilling will also drive it tighter. Only thing being it would he fairly straightforward to drill the whole head off ..

I am planning to use some tex screws (with a hex head) to secure door hinges to our boat. Problem is that will leave me with doors which are very easy to undo with a spanner.

Does anyone know of a tool or method to round them off once in. I imagine there could be a tool that goes in a drill which might be used for rounding off rivets which might work.

A slow method might be to grind off each corner with an angle grinder

Thanks!

You can get tools that are designed to unscrew stripped screws or bolts so I wouldn't use that method.

Doodle says he's using Tec screws which drill and tap their own thread as you drive them in. I presume he can't get behind to put nuts on bolts.

Doodle says he's using Tec screws which drill and tap their own thread as you drive them in. I presume he can't get behind to put nuts on bolts.

Very easy to just file the corners off the screw heads by hand. Could use an angle grinder with a stone in it but he would have to be careful. A small 12v Dremel with a wee stone in it would do it fine.

just Google one-way screws! B&Q sell them. This is what Bizzard was describing. DIY or buy ready made.

onewayscrew.jpg

No, it wasn't what I meant. The Tec screws I know of drill and tap their own thread as you drive them in. They have a drill bit lead and slotted thread cutter built in. As far as I know available with hex heads only.

No, it wasn't what I meant. The Tec screws I know of drill and tap their own thread as you drive them in. They have a drill bit lead and slotted thread cutter built in. As far as I know available with hex heads only.

Sorry for misquoting you.

Googling tek screws shows exactly what you describe - with a handy little flange below the head so the head could be cut off and it would still hold securely.

I prefer drilling and tapping to self tapping types in steel personally.

I've never used tek screws - maybe they are effective :unsure:

Edited by magnetman

Googling tek screws shows exactly what you describe - with a handy little flange below the head so the head could be cut off and it would still hold securely.

I prefer drilling and tapping to self tapping types in steel personally.

I've never used tek screws - maybe they are effective :unsure:

I've used them, but for this job I wouldn't recommend them as it would be a better finish with the one way screws.

Anither method would be forget about securing the hinges and use another lock on the hinge side (pref more than one).