Boat Security and Immobilisers (Split from Stolen Boat)

Flyboy

Featured Posts

Well, you have asked for it, so here you are. I don't think your questioning has helped or advanced the debate.

If you look back, you will see that I was responding to MaxWelly's post, where he was suggesting that cars and caravans are stolen much more often than narrowboats, and that therefore the theft of a couple of narrowboats in a year was not significant. My response was that the cost of narrowboats is higher than that of cars or caravans, implying that a narrowboat theft was likely to be more financially damaging to the owner than a car or caravan theft.

As for quantifying it, I would firstly invite you to provide evidence to show that my statement is incorrect. I am familiar with prices of new and second hand narrowboats, through study over many years of articles and advertisements in canal magazines. I know a fair amount abut car prices from similar studies. I know least about caravans, but had a rough idea before making my post. Since your challenge to my "bold statement" I've had a look online, and my opinion is confirmed. Of course, there can be further debate about what type of average I may have meant......but this has got tedious enough.

Your concept of financial damage to someone is relative to a person's financial standing.

So a car or caravan say worth £20k would be financially crippling to some if it was stolen but not others. Very definitely so if they were unable to stretch to comprehensively insure it and only hard a third party risks only policy.

The financial value of any item could be irrelevant in considering whether it's theft is significant or not.

This being my point.

As for tedious? Definitely.

Edited by MJG

/y

What I meant is "they are paying for the current security installed indirectly via their mooring fees"

So, if you don't like the security arrangements at a Marina, why moor there?

Go elsewhere.

It's your decision to accept or reject a suppliers' service, terms and conditions.

It's not their's to start altering what they're doing once a customer has agreed and signed.

A lot of cars are worth more than a lot of Narrowboats! A decent upmarket car today costs more than the majority of Narrowboats on Apolloduck!

The only difference is that a 40k Narrowboat will have little or no security, where a 40k car will have the latest security (which is why most target the keys and not the car)

New cars v second hand narrowboats!

Your concept of financial damage to someone is relative to a person's financial standing.

So a car or caravan say worth £20k would be financially crippling to some if it was stolen but not others. Very definitely so if they were unable to stretch to comprehensively insure it and only hard a third party risks only policy.

The financial value of any item could be irrelevant in considering whether it's theft is significant or not.

This being my point.

As for tedious? Definitely.

Interesting how you reckon to know what my concepts are. But you are now making a totally different point, so I'll leave you to it.

Interesting how you reckon to know what my concepts are. But you are now making a totally different point, so I'll leave you to it.

My point is not different at all, I am simply clarifying it as you didn't appear to have grasped it earlier.

New cars v second hand narrowboats!

There are more decent cars worth more than 40K on the road either 2nd hand or new than there is in total boats on CRT waters.

It's rare to come across a really new boat, but it's not that rare to come across a high value car.

How is this argument going down over on CaravanWorld Discussion Forum? It surely can't be as tedious as it is here?

I saw a documentary once where caravan rivalry was the subject. The guy with the Swashbuckler 109e thought he was best, because he had twin axles and gold taps, whereas the guy with the Global Dominator Mk9 thought he was best cos he had alloy wheels and tinted windows. How they stood on relative value versus cars and narrowboats didn't make it past the cutting room floor, I guess because the film makers didn't think anyone would be interested.

They know their stuff do Channel 4 and they'd have been right, except when it came to folk with caravans who (I'd offer) should be able to discuss it at length if they want to - but perhaps only on CaravanWorld Discussion Forum? ;)

So, what about Boat Security and Immobilisers then, eh? Now there's an interesting topic for Canalworld Discussion Forum and no mistake! :D

• Greenie 1

How is this argument going down over on CaravanWorld Discussion Forum? It surely can't be as tedious as it is here?

I saw a documentary once where caravan rivalry was the subject. The guy with the Swashbuckler 109e thought he was best, because he had twin axles and gold taps, whereas the guy with the Global Dominator Mk9 thought he was best cos he had alloy wheels and tinted windows. How they stood on relative value versus cars and narrowboats didn't make it past the cutting room floor, I guess because the film makers didn't think anyone would be interested.

They know their stuff do Channel 4 and they'd have been right, except when it came to folk with caravans who (I'd offer) should be able to discuss it at length if they want to - but perhaps only on CaravanWorld Discussion Forum? ;)

So, what about Boat Security and Immobilisers then, eh? Now there's an interesting topic for Canalworld Discussion Forum and no mistake! :D

Well while you have typed all of that you could have added something relevant instead... :)

However as you have brought the subject up our van, has twin axles, tinted windows AND alloy wheels. No gold taps though..........soooooo last year darling.

Edited by MJG

Well while you have typed all of that you could have added something relevant instead... :)

However as you have brought the subject up our van, has twin axles, tinted windows AND alloy wheels. No gold taps though..........soooooo last year darling.

:D

Right Robbo and Stripey, leg it whilst I have his attention! See, I know what to do when a Jack Russell gets his teeth into something - distract him, whilst someone hides the object. ;)

Trouble is, then he's looking at you! Gulp!! :D

(I'm sure your van is lovely Martin, and gold taps are quite off trend right now, I agree!)

Okay, mod's hat on ...

Brutal assessment ... there's some excellent stuff in this thread but some of you are making reading it tedious. I will hide posts and warn members if they continue to post tit for tat, because I don't want to moderate the thread out of existence. All complaints to the management as ever.

Wriggly

Mod's hat off ... going back to debating a D-lock fitting.

All you need to do is fly an I S flag on your boat.

Then it will be constantly watched / monitored by; MI6, MI5, The SAS & The Police.

How much more security do you want ???

Another thing to remember is.........A house, a car, a boat etc, it's only as secure as a piece of glass.

Edited by Mutts
  • Greenie 1

Another thing to remember is.........A house, a car, a boat etc, it's only as secure as a piece of glass.

Depends on the size of the glass, portholes can be a tad small! Laminated glass is also good security as they a lot harder to get through.

We passed by Fenny Compton marina today and with the exception of access by water, it looks to have a totally secure site. I can't remember seeing another like it but I'm sure at there are other examples.

So, how do you get to your boat if it's moored there??????icecream.gif

I have mixed feelings about marina security....the idea of gates on the jetties is good but it's rather annoying when you wander down to find you have left the fob or keys on the boat....after the 3rd time....

One we stayed in even needed the fob for the bin store....

I'm not sure there is a simple answer really.

Cheers

Gareth

I seem to recall this one first popped up on a dog owners forum as a means of tracking your pet.

I think the limitations relate to the proximity of the device to your phone.

So it will be of limited value tracking your stolen Narrowboat as it uses something they call 'crowd GPS' which requires lots of other users of the same app. in the vicinity of the stolen item, but may help you find your lost car in a car park.

Edited by MJG

I'm thinking of getting a few for keys and bags as your phone can alert you if they go out of proximity. As MJG said, if out of range of your phone they use other people's phone (who have the App) to locate and send you the location when you highlight you looking for it. Not practical for boats, but for small devices. You can also get plugin adapters for the each room of a home. It will then tell you which room a tag is in. Edited by Robbo

I have a similar device called LAPA. But I wonder how many people have the app running on their phone. I have it on my car keys. I can use it to find my keys or phone but I think it's useless on luggage. If you use it on luggage it will only tell you where your phone was when your luggage went out of range. If you try and locate its current, lost position you are relying on someone having the app being within a few feet of your bag. The Lapa app can prevent your phone from sleeping, so I nix it when not in use. This means others can't use my phone to find their tracker.

Just had a play with the Trackr app, it will now works on the iPad using a app call trackr tablet so you can track where you left your iPad using trackr, but more importantly it will alert you if your phone / iPad gets separated. You may find this useful if you visit cafes/pubs as it can alert you if you leave your iPad or if it gets pinched from your bag, etc.

I have a similar device called LAPA. But I wonder how many people have the app running on their phone. I have it on my car keys. I can use it to find my keys or phone but I think it's useless on luggage. If you use it on luggage it will only tell you where your phone was when your luggage went out of range. If you try and locate its current, lost position you are relying on someone having the app being within a few feet of your bag. The Lapa app can prevent your phone from sleeping, so I nix it when not in use. This means others can't use my phone to find their tracker.

With luggage the idea was that it would alert you when the bag arrives at the airport so you can go play Pokemon and not wait by the luggage area. Edited by Robbo

On my Lapa the beeper is so quiet, you wouldn't be able to hear it over background noise unless you were within a foot or so. Phone will tell you if you are close, but not in which direction. It would be better to get a gadget with a SIM that transmits its position at fixed intervals. The Chine tracker could do that but would need a power source as its internal battery is very small. I have a powerpack that is 18,000mAh, but, unfortunately, it switches off when the current draw drops too low.