Chop!

Featured Posts

Were Hayseed Dixie referring to you when they said hipster beards are the mullets of our time?

Warning - the link below contain gratuitous mullet and hipster styles - something us slapheads find amusing in a jealous kinda way. wink.png

http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread-Slicked-back-undercut-with-hipster-beard-soon-a-1980s-mullet

One is an upside down version of t'other?

Edited by mark99

Where were you moored, Chop? A pair of boats should have been easy to spot, but the only one I saw was the butty Bude (a regular moorer) with a converted motor breasted up outside it. We were about 4 boats down from the town bridge, on our regular mooring - where we made room for a cabin cruiser which turned out to contain Damian Wilson, the singer of Headspace who performed at the festival. You'd never believe it if you saw him on stage, but he's actually a quietly-spoken and very courteous fellow.

Love to visit by boat next year, very busy nearby on the cut, but not many breasting up. In the event, what is local protocol? Breast up and ask later, Hang arround for a moorer to appear and ask nicely or ? do normal rules apply whatever they are, provided there is enough width?

Plonk

It was one of the busiest years for a while for boats. We had a very enjoyable time, so muh so we're now enjoying a trip to Fenny before heading home. Damian Wilson is a lovely bloke off stage, had a chat with him at Cropredy lock yesterday. Great to see musicians arriving by boat now!

Love to visit by boat next year, very busy nearby on the cut, but not many breasting up. In the event, what is local protocol? Breast up and ask later, Hang arround for a moorer to appear and ask nicely or ? do normal rules apply whatever they are, provided there is enough width?

Plonk

Certainly not!

Either get there early and bag a public mooring, or go over there beforehand and talk to owners on the two stretches of Long Term Moorings - some of them go away for the festival. Or, book a temporary mooring at the Marina - about a mile's walk from the festival field, but at least you can arrive and know that you have a place to lay your boat.

It was one of the busiest years for a while for boats.

You say so? I saw only one pair of breasted-up boats on the towpath side (not counting Hester, which always breasts up to Daisy Rose on the latter's permanent offside mooring). That's the fewest for several years. I think the marina has helped to alleviate overcrowding.

So, breasting up ok if invited? Personally I have no objection to others Breasting up to me (if i get there first) if necessary and not blocking the waterway for other users. Shouldn't this be encouraged at an event like this? In fact it might be friendly and best to hang out an invitation, it is a very community minded festival. Bagging a public mooring just for self dosen't seem very friendly. Oh and how early is early? I understand that 48/24hr limits do not appy arround this time. Below the bridge appear to be 14 day moorings anyway. Is 10 days before too late?.

Marina moorings? great facilities but personally rather be out on the cut.

Pat

So, breasting up ok if invited?

Absolutely yes, provided that (as you say) it's wide enough.

Bagging a public mooring just for self doesn't seem very friendly.

Why not? That's what they're for.

Below the bridge appear to be 14 day moorings anyway. Is 10 days before too late?.

Yes, that's right. I'd aim to arrive 2 weeks beforehand if you can - that takes you up to the festival week when (as you rightly suggest) mooring restrictions are not actually suspended but are "relaxed".

The moorings just below bridge 154 (Old Mill) tend to fill up later than the ones in the village - odd, this, because they are actually nearer to the lower festival entrance! Not many people know that, at least they didn't until now. The festival has two entrances: one about half a mile up the lane towards Williamscot, the other approached via an archway adjacent to (yes, you've guessed) bridge 154. The latter brings you out near the stage.

Yes, that's right. I'd aim to arrive 2 weeks beforehand if you can - that takes you up to the festival week when (as you rightly suggest) mooring restrictions are not actually suspended but are "relaxed".

The moorings just below bridge 154 (Old Mill) tend to fill up later than the ones in the village - odd, this, because they are actually nearer to the lower festival entrance! Not many people know that, at least they didn't until now. The festival has two entrances: one about half a mile up the lane towards Williamscot, the other approached via an archway adjacent to (yes, you've guessed) bridge 154. The latter brings you out near the stage.

Near the stage and those really big speakers.

Where were you moored, Chop? A pair of boats should have been easy to spot, but the only one I saw was the butty Bude (a regular moorer) with a converted motor breasted up outside it. We were about 4 boats down from the town bridge, on our regular mooring - where we made room for a cabin cruiser which turned out to contain Damian Wilson, the singer of Headspace who performed at the festival. You'd never believe it if you saw him on stage, but he's actually a quietly-spoken and very courteous fellow.

A few of us boaters, led by Robin the Busker from Snowdrop, had a Folk Club singers evening at the lock on the pre - festival Sunday, raising money for Cancer Research UK. Damien did a few acoustic numbers - I have now sung on the same bill as the lead singer of Head space!

A few of us boaters, led by Robin the Busker from Snowdrop, had a Folk Club singers evening at the lock on the pre - festival Sunday, raising money for Cancer Research UK. Damien did a few acoustic numbers - I have now sung on the same bill as the lead singer of Head space!

I knew that was happening, it was supposed to be on Friday - went up there on the Friday, only to find that it had been rained off. Apparently the Sunday sequel went ahead rain-free! I saw Damian heading up there with his guitar.

The only boat breasted up above the lock was alongside us. They arrived Thursday morning at 10am. They asked politely and we had no problem with that.

Will also echo the comments about Damien - a great singer and nice bloke. His acoustic set in Richard's garden on the Sunday evening was brilliant.

Edited by Mal in Somerset

Were Hayseed Dixie referring to you when they said hipster beards are the mullets of our time?

I met Hayseed Dixie in a festival in north Wales, he had bought a new Triumph, ridden it up from London and was chuffed that he had blued his new exhaust pipes! ?

I was 'moored' in my double-decker tour bus, next to the main stage! I know Damian well, as he has been out on a European tour on my bus, we chatted a few times over the weekend.And I almost gave into the temptation to leap in with him when he jumped the crowd barriers to sing amongst the crowd. ?